Why am I burning less?

Options
ls_66
ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
I've been running for about 3 months now... prior to that I was walking a lot, I have lost a few pounds but I'm also noticing that my polar HRM reports less calories burned for same amount of time ...

Replies

• reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I dont have as good of a calorie burn for zumba. I'm wondering if it is because our body's adjust to the workouts and we need to push even harder. Plus weight loss means less body mass to haul around.
  • ls_66
    Options
    good point.. I used to be out of breath and now is much more manageable
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    you're body is most likely used to it.. Can you mix it up a bit? find some hills, add interval sprints, etc.. into your run?
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    this is a good thing. it means not only that you weigh less, but your heart is not having to work as hard to do the same amount of work. you're increasing your cardiac fitness, which is a good thing.
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    simply put: your body is becoming more efficent.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight? People who weigh more burn the more calories doing the same exercises as people who weigh less.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think it's because you get in better shape and stop pushing as hard. I notice this too, you have to continue to push as hard as you did when you first started working out to get the same burn.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    simply put: your body is becoming more efficent.

That's it exactly. Increase your intensity or duration of workout. Maybe try some intervals.
  • ls_66
    Options
    thank you all for the replies
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    when you lose weight your body burns calories more efficiently, aka less when you excersise. That is my understanding. That and when you are in better conditioned shape (like you would be for running) your heart doesnt have to work as hard to keep up, therefore reducing the estimate for calories burned that a HRM would tell you.
  • TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's good news really but it makes burning calories that wee bit harder.