Learned a HUGE lesson-- 1390 calorie slice of cake!!

Options
I learned a HUGE lesson yesterday-- always check a restaurant before you go there, if possible, to see if they post their nutrition facts online.

I ate at Nordstrom Cafe with a friend. It was a belated birthday lunch, so she suggested cake. I had a very sensible lunch that ended up being 370 calories by itself-- wish I had left it alone!

We shared the cake, and good thing I did not eat the whole slice, because I checked when I got home and it was 1390 calories! For ONE SLICE OF CAKE! OMG, that is more than a whole day for me!

I was really mad at myself for making that mistake... but I learned a great lesson.

Now before I go out I am going to check restaurants' websites and plan a good meal first.

Good night, everyone...

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Your not going to ruin your diet by one piece of high calorie item, but you've learned from it so that's great
  • kenjancef
    kenjancef Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ever since starting MFP I've checked calorie/fat counts EVERYWHERE, or at least when it's online. It is AMAZING knowing how much I was eating without knowing it. I would get a regular burger at Chili's, with just lettuce, and the fries, and the burger itself is about 1300 calories!!! I was floored! So now I have a steak, vegies and a salad, and I usually hit 600-700 calories or so. And I feel much better after eating that than the burger.

The one place that does NOT have any nutrition info anywhere is the Hard Rock Cafe. So if I eat there I have to use common sense, and previous experience at other restaurants.

Also... if it's a place I've never been to, or just want to check, I always have my phone with me so I hop online and check it out quick before I order.
  • pilotalan
    Options
    Yep. My wife and I went to PF Changs (unexpectedly) and got a couple things we thought should be healthy.
    Come to find out the things that looked healthy had staggering amounts of calories, and the things we avoided were much, much lower.
    We both blew our calorie counts for the day, and had to spend a half hour working out, but learned a valuable lesson.

Life is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, and the lesson afterward. - Samuel Clemens
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Ever since starting MFP I've checked calorie/fat counts EVERYWHERE, or at least when it's online. It is AMAZING knowing how much I was eating without knowing it. I would get a regular burger at Chili's, with just lettuce, and the fries, and the burger itself is about 1300 calories!!! I was floored! So now I have a steak, vegies and a salad, and I usually hit 600-700 calories or so. And I feel much better after eating that than the burger.

The one place that does NOT have any nutrition info anywhere is the Hard Rock Cafe. So if I eat there I have to use common sense, and previous experience at other restaurants.

Also... if it's a place I've never been to, or just want to check, I always have my phone with me so I hop online and check it out quick before I order.

I have steak or fish with salad and veggies.