Sugar...Need Guidance

Options
I am determined to lose the weight for good this time. After reading many of the message board postings, I've adjusted the marconutrients so I can follow the 40/30/30 guidelines for carbs, fat and protein. My question is SUGAR. I would like to track sugar, but I think the recommended grams (24 grams based on a 1,200 daily calorie count) seems low if you include the grams of natural sugars from fruit. When I do select a food that contains sugar, I try and make sure it's < 7 grams. Any input or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• agardiner126
    Options
    I am determined to lose the weight for good this time. After reading many of the message board postings, I've adjusted the marconutrients so I can follow the 40/30/30 guidelines for carbs, fat and protein. My question is SUGAR. I would like to track sugar, but I think the recommended grams (24 grams based on a 1,200 daily calorie count) seems low if you include the grams of natural sugars from fruit. When I do select a food that contains sugar, I try and make sure it's < 7 grams. Any input or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

It's a really confusing subject... Some people say that the body doesn't process sugars or artificial sweeteners any differently. I would think that Fruit Sugars process differently though...?
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My sister is a nutritionist and she suggested I start around maybe 60? I am always over on my sugar because it doesn't separate fruit sugars from the others. So I just double check at the end of the day and make sure if I am over it is because of the fruits and not the junk.
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This is a highly debated topic. Sugar from fruit is ok. Just try to stay away from processed and added sugars. So thinks like lollies, cakes and sweets are an occasional thing. But remember: this is a lifestyle change. So do what works best for you. If you need a bit more sugar in your day then add it. Just don't go over board. Good luck :)
  • Fit_And_Heathy_Goalie
    Options
    I checked my sugar grams for the last few days and I'm between 45-60 gms. per day, The majority is from fruit, but a gram or two (or 7gms for plain greek yogurt) adds up! Thanks for sharing your number and pass along my thanks to your nutrionist!