Bronchitis + Workout...bad combo?

Options
My boyfriend, who is extremely supportive of my weight loss journey, has informed me that it's probably not the best idea to be working out with a bout of bronchitis in my system. Some friends of mine suggested just getting up and moving about so I do end up burning at least SOME calories during the day, but the workout bug is itching in me and I don't want to get so iffy about being sick that I end up not picking up on the exercise again (which I have had a habit of doing).

Do I need to just lay low/take it easy for a while? Is there anything I can do to cure the "workout itch" so to speak?

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a "rule" about exercise when sick. It's going to be tough to do intense cardio as you may end up coughing a whole lot. However, a brisk walk, strength exercises, yoga would all be good. Listen to your body. You will need to REALLY increase your fluid intake as well. Probably an extra 250 cc for the bronchitis and probably up your work out intake another 125 cc or so. If you begin to feel run down, more sick, or your symptoms increase you should taper your activity back further. Make sure you're eating very well and getting plenty of rest.

Hope you're better soon!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband has been fighting pneumonia all summer with a cough. Not bronchitis, but . . . lung issues.

Doesn't high aerobic exercise make you cough? He's having trouble even walking at my speed.

On the other hand, gentle aerobic exercise that work his lungs (including one of those blow tubes) are really good for his lungs and have helped them heal (and were prescribed by his respiratory therapist).

It takes a lot of energy to heal from something like bronchitis. Take care of yourself.
  • elrolloSurf
    Options
    I would take time off say 2 weeks to get rid off mild bronchitis, set a return date and then start your cardio again.

If you've really got the itch do some work with light dumbells but realy you should just rest to got your immune system back up.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you have bronchitis I think it's a better idea to rest and let your immune system do it's work.

If you just have a cold I see nothing wrong with working out.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Working out with bronchitis sounds like a realllly bad idea. How will you breathe?
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been prone to bronchitis all of my life, having had several bouts over the years (I grew up with a heavy smoker, and that definitely didn't help). The last one was over late December 2010/early January 2011, and I can tell you that everything that got stacked against me at that time definitely helped exacerbate it to the point where it bordered on pneumonia (per the doctor's diagnosis); it was in the middle of a Toronto, ON winter (SNOW), there was a sewage backup in my basement apartment that forced me to hit the pavement and look for a temporary living arrangement to stave off homelessness, there was tension at work, tension with my landlords, etc. I wasn't getting the rest I needed to cope with it, I had to be active despite feeling like dreck, and so the worst of my symptoms dragged out for about 4-5 weeks. It was the worst bout of bronchitis I had ever dealt with.

Rest. Fluids. Good nutrition. Any exercise you do should be just gentle moving around. Get thee to a doctor to confirm when you can go back to serious working out. I know it's hard, and my lifting fingers get itchy, too... but even I grudgingly admit when I need to lay off the gym.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If you know it's bronchitis...no working out. A little head cold? Go ahead...I'd even say to skip a heavy workout with a chest cold. Drink lots of water, rest and eat right (you can still do that part of your plan!) and like a pp said, set a date to start back up so that you know you won't just say "when I"m better" and then you never get back to it. Get better!
  • purpleelephand2011
    purpleelephand2011 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i would only walk slowly but the thought makes me very uncomfortable. i have asthma and i have had bronchitus sevral times on top of my already existing condition. the thought of provoking heavy breathing on top of that situation makes me just plain nervous because i know how it feels to not be able to breathe. please be careful. stick with arm curls or something.
  • LoriLoves2Run
    Options
    I would have said, "no big deal" about 5 1/2 months ago when I ran a marathon with the flu, which turned into pneumonia, caused scarring because I put off going to the doc to avoid someone telling me not to run. This in turn gave me an epic fail and chest pains at Kona marathon. And now I have exercise induced asthma that I am on a daily inhaler for. However, I am still running and have another marathon in November but my running performance has suffered and I am only now starting to build back up. Indoor exercise is probably fine but I wouldn't go running marathons in the windy, cold air.

Feel better very soon.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I too live with heavy smokers and I'm prone to delvelping bronchitis. I've had it several times as an adult and it usually requires a rx from the doctor to go away. Therefor I don't see how you could do any strenous exercises anyway. Your lungs need to heal. Please heed the advice given and don't do any cardio.

i hope you feel better soon. (I have a knee injury and can't go at it the way I'm itching to. It sucks but you have to heal yourself.
  • coach10shs
    Options
    Hey everyone!!!

SO I have been prone to bronchitis and I got sick again about 12 days ago and I went to the Dr and they refileld my inhaler and prescribed me the antibotic amoxacillian,. I am in the state correction process and I was scheduled for my PAT next Wednesday and am currently out of my antibotics. Do yall have any suggestions on what I can do to get my breathing up? I been coughing my head off but cant afford not to go running. PLease help!!!!
    T
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!!!

SO I have been prone to bronchitis and I got sick again about 12 days ago and I went to the Dr and they refileld my inhaler and prescribed me the antibotic amoxacillian,. I am in the state correction process and I was scheduled for my PAT next Wednesday and am currently out of my antibotics. Do yall have any suggestions on what I can do to get my breathing up? I been coughing my head off but cant afford not to go running. PLease help!!!!
    T

I'm not sure what PAT is. My husband had bronchitis for a month. He was on several antibiotics. He also got a puff inhaler. They made a mild difference at best. He had to stop his hardcore exercises until he felt better. If I were you, I would do some other exercise other than running. If you're coughing that much while running, you're not doing your body any favors.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Yes, working out with bronchitis is a bad idea. Let your body heal. The general thought is if the problem is above the neck (head cold) working out is fine, below the next, which bronchitis is, rest and heal. It is very easy for something like that to turn into pneumonia if you stress yourself too much.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Maybe do some very light lifting and stretching at home.
    Anything that makes your breathing more labored could exasperate your illness.
    No harm in moving around a little though! I have really horrible asthma, and when I get sick it's pretty bad. Do a little something here and there. Maybe a wall sit when you get up to pee or something xD It's not a time to push your limits though.