confused, help?

Options
So i have posted before, and people have accused and judged by the amount of calories i take in because i only eat when i'm hungry and thats the way that its suppose to go.

Lately i have been doing 30DS and then going for walks for my cardio but when i don't have time to walk i make sure that i do 30DS and thats all i'll do for the day which some exercise is better than none at all..

I have noticed that i haven't lost ANY weight at all and it's really starting to get me down because i want to lose weight more than anything, and i'm tryin really hard.

I have stopped my intake of fast food to only 2 times every two weeks and when i do eat out i get something on the healthier side, and most of the time i'm eating at subway or pita pitt.
& when i'm eating at home i typically fix chicken or something like that and it's usually under 500 calories.

Can anyone please tell me what i am doing wrong?

** i'm closing my diary because of the judgement i got the last time so please don't ask.

Replies

• smokinjackd
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way, but your question reads like you are looking for that one little miracle trick that will turn it all around. And saying you closed your diary due to criticism tells me you don't really want honest advice, only what is going to suit what you think is right. My advice would be open your diary and your mind and really listen to the constructive advice your fellow MFPers are trying to give you.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You don't have very much to lose. First, you shouldn't expect quick results. Second, when you don't have very much to lose your body might respond better to a smaller calorie deficit, or EATING MORE, but since I have no idea how much you are eating I can't be sure.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I can only offer limited help without knowing what you eat.

Eat at least 1200 calories per day. If you are full try an ounce of nuts that is 160+ depending on the nut (peanuts are NOT nuts)
    Eat under 100 grams of carbs
    Eat over 80 grams of protein
    Limit processed food
    Eat a lot of veggies, a little fruit and all your protein

The above has helped me. It might help you but you have to try it and for more then a day or two.
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    You don't have very much to lose. First, you shouldn't expect quick results. Second, when you don't have very much to lose your body might respond better to a smaller calorie deficit, or EATING MORE, but since I have no idea how much you are eating I can't be sure.

I have a lot to lose, that is just a short goal to help me.
    I have over 50 pounds that i'm trying to lose.

I just figured if i made little goals at a time it would be easier for me to lose it and that was a negative.

& i don't expect quick results i have been on here trying to do for since the beginning of summer over 3 months ago.
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way, but your question reads like you are looking for that one little miracle trick that will turn it all around. And saying you closed your diary due to criticism tells me you don't really want honest advice, only what is going to suit what you think is right. My advice would be open your diary and your mind and really listen to the constructive advice your fellow MFPers are trying to give you.

I wont take it the wrong way, but i'm not looking for the miracle trick i'm just asking for advice from people that has had the same problem that i am...
    I am keeping it closed because i don't wanna hear that maybe i'm not eating enough or that i'm negativing out my calories or something like that because i only eat when i'm hungry and thats just what i do, and others are entitled to their opinions but everyone does things a little differently. Because i don't always eat up to 1200 calories a day.
  • JessFehr
    JessFehr Posts: 27
    Options
    For me, when I don't eat enough calories it says that my body goes to starvation mode. Which means that My body is trying to stay full with what I do have in me therefore I am not loosing weight. I hope this makes sense. :) I know what you mean thought. wanting to eat only when you are hungry.
  • Rae6503
    Options

I wont take it the wrong way, but i'm not looking for the miracle trick i'm just asking for advice from people that has had the same problem that i am...
    I am keeping it closed because i don't wanna hear that maybe i'm not eating enough or that i'm negativing out my calories or something like that because i only eat when i'm hungry and thats just what i do, and others are entitled to their opinions but everyone does things a little differently. Because i don't always eat up to 1200 calories a day.
    But your way isn't working. Why keep doing it?

I weigh 160lbs. When I was trying to lose weight I was eating 2000 calories a day. I worked outed (including heavy weight training and moderate cardio). I lost a half pound a week.
  • Big_Daddy6
    Big_Daddy6 Posts: 188
    Options
    I know you probably don't want to hear this and I know it sounds crazy..........but it sounds to me like you may need to eat more calories. Not more food since you only eat when you're hungry and stop when you are full but more calorie dense food. It has worked for me and several others here................ Just sayin:wink:
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    For me, when I don't eat enough calories it says that my body goes to starvation mode. Which means that My body is trying to stay full with what I do have in me therefore I am not loosing weight. I hope this makes sense. :) I know what you mean thought. wanting to eat only when you are hungry.

yeah, i have heard that before as well. I just can't make myself eat 1200 calories a day all the time.. I mean i don't eat under that goal every single day. Just like today i ate a little bit over my goal of 1370 but it was only by like a couple calories. But like the other day i only ate like 800 calories and i burned over the amount that i ate and it was -23 calories for my net. Thats the reason why i'm not opening up my diary, my lost post someone went back months in my diary and was looking at it, and i just feel that is wrong and they criticized me for something i did only twice. I don't mind criticism but when its something so minor that just bugs me.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    How long do you feel like you've been stuck? It take a couple weeks at the start for your body to get used to the new way of eating. I've been dieting and working out for 3 weeks and I lost 2 pounds but I swear I gain it back every 3 days or so so it's still and up and down battle but I feel like any day now something good is going to happen. Don't give up just give it time. Also I can't see your diary but something that helps me is watching my sodium. Watching sodium and keeping my carbs low seems to really help...I feel better when I do both of those.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    You just said it yourself, you did not want to take the advice that people were giving you, and then you say thats just what I do. The old adage states, keep doing the same thing keep expecting the same results. Just saying I want something doesnt make it so, nobody is going to be able to give you any useful tips without knowing what's going into your body right now.
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    [/quote]
    But your way isn't working. Why keep doing it?

I weigh 160lbs. When I was trying to lose weight I was eating 2000 calories a day. I worked outed (including heavy weight training and moderate cardio). I lost a half pound a week.
    [/quote]

Because i don't know what else to do. I'm trying to get a appointment with a nutritionist to see what i need to do.
    I know that there is no way that i can make myself eat 2000 calories a day. I ate only like 800 calories the other day and i felt like i was going to explode through out the whole day because i felt so full. but then there are other days that i could probably eat all day long. Thats just the thing, i'm not sure what to do on terms of eating, and working out to lose the weight. I'm only doing what i think is right. I don't have a background of anything in my family. My whole family is pretty much over weight and for once i'm trying to break that chain. My parents don't really listen to me when i tell them i don't want to eat this or that, and they get mad at me when i don't & they bring unhealthy things in the house and it's tempting but i don't usually eat them and when i do it's within moderation. Like one cookie or something like that.

I'm willing to listen to your advice if you have some to tell.
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    How long do you feel like you've been stuck? It take a couple weeks at the start for your body to get used to the new way of eating. I've been dieting and working out for 3 weeks and I lost 2 pounds but I swear I gain it back every 3 days or so so it's still and up and down battle but I feel like any day now something good is going to happen. Don't give up just give it time. Also I can't see your diary but something that helps me is watching my sodium. Watching sodium and keeping my carbs low seems to really help...I feel better when I do both of those.

I have been trying to lose weight since about the beginning of summer, which has been over 3 months. But i didn't start 30DS until about a little over a month ago. I had to skip a few days due to school starting and needing to find a way to fit everything into my routine. I will deff start watching more of that and i know that i need to start drinking more water. Just really hate WATER lol.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Eat foods with higher calorie density. More calories, lower volume. 2% or whole dairy, red meat, dark meat chicken with skin, olive oil, cheese, nuts, avocados, whole eggs. No "diet" foods. Lower your calorie burns. Lift weights instead of doing endless cardio.

Try for another 100 every week. 1200 this week, 1300 next week, etc.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you're having a hard time eating all your calories, maybe try some more calorie dense food? Peanut putter, nuts... I made some home made granola a few weeks ago that was amazing and over 200 calories for a 1/2 cup serving. :)
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can find higher calorie foods to up your amount...like a handful of almonds...not a lot of food but pretty good for adding calories when you need them.
  • kristenjohnson1107
    Options
    Ashley ,
    I would love to connect with you to help you out - myself and my husband have been apart or around the fitness industry for years now - I will have to know more about your diet specifically to help.
    Kristen
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Eat foods with higher calorie density. More calories, lower volume. 2% or whole dairy, red meat, dark meat chicken with skin, olive oil, cheese, nuts, avocados, whole eggs. No "diet" foods. Lower your calorie burns. Lift weights instead of doing endless cardio.

Try for another 100 every week. 1200 this week, 1300 next week, etc.

Right now i'm doing 30DS is that still okay?. I really like the workouts that i'm doing plus that is circuit training. Plus i take my dog for a walk of the mornings when i can, and i know thats cardio but isn't that still okay?

Is silk soy milk okay for milk? plus its high in protein. I love almonds and i eat them all the time well not all the time but i do have them in the house and i eat them.
    I also have some of those nutristystem foods and i eat them from time to time because they are high in protein and also keep me full.
    What do you mean by lower volume?

& i upped my calories to 1630 i think is what it is, and that makes my targeted weight lost 1 1/2 pounds a week loss..
    i'm going to try to stick with eating up to or close to that amount and work out like i have been and see where that gets me...
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I mean no offense, but you're not going to accomplish your goal with your current attitude. You're convinced that your way is the 'right way' and you seem unwilling to change how you are eating. And yet, as Rae has said, your way isn't working.

800 calories on any day that you're not seriously ill is a no-no. That's way too low. Unless you're on a medically supervised very low calorie diet, you shouldn't eat that little. 800 calories once in a blue moon isn't going to kill you, but if you're doing it often... yah... it demonstrates a pretty unhealthy relationship with food.

If you feel like you're going to explode after eating only 800 calories, than you're eating the wrong kinds of foods. You need to eat nutrient rich and calorie dense foods to get your intake up. Almonds, avocados, etc... good stuff.

But mostly, you need to work on your mental/emotional relationship to health and nutrition. I know that sounds harsh, but I really think that's a big part of any weight-loss battle. Until you master that, you're not going to make the progress you want.

Food is not your enemy. Calories are not your enemy. Fat is not your enemy. Carbs is not your enemy.

Eat a healthy diet with lean proteins, healthy fats (olive oil, canola oil, fish oil, nuts, etc...), fruits and veggies, and grains if you want them.

Oh... and get rid of the 'eat when hungry only' idea. If you're overweight, your "hunger signal" is most likely broken. You can repair it, but first you need to learn to fuel your body.