Experienced Bicyclists-Brand Question

Options
I'm saving my pennies for a bike upgrade. I'm looking for an entry level racing bike. Today I saw a "BMC Road Racer" for the first time. It's a fully carbon bike, but I'm not familiar with the brand. What intrigues me is that it is fully carbon, thus very lightweight, and it's significantly less expensive than Guru, Giant or Cervelo. It's sharp looking, which doesn't hurt. Any opinions?

Replies

• Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm no help but sounds awesome...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've seen them around but don't know anyone personally riding one, I was just looking at their pricing though......full carbon, ultegra groupset, easton wheels for $3,000 - sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

My best suggestion would be to ask over at bikeforums.net in their road bike section.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    BMC is a Swiss road bike company that has a very good team right now on the pro tour. They are certainly as good as any of the bikes you mentioned. the question I would have is what are the level of components and wheels? Also, is this used or new? I can tell you that it is possible to get a great carbon bike new for around $2,000 if you shop around and are willing to take last years model (which is always very close to the same is the current).
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    It's a new bike, with Ultegra components and Easton wheels. The whole bike weighs about 17lbs. It's pretty amazing. The paint job is cool too. Guru, which is what the bike shop I usually go to, allows you to custom select paint, but it is not a full carbon bike, and it's about $1000 more. Bikeforums comments seem to be very positive. Tomorrow I'm thinking about going to the Grand Rapids Bicycle Shop and taking a look at the other models. I'm still just shopping, but getting really excited about it.
  • opher
    opher Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the brand at all. Ultegra is what I have on my (7 y.o.) Klein and I'm very happy with them. I'd suggest (in addition to the forums, which is a great idea) to talk with the folks at the store and ask them to compare that bike to other bikes you may be more familiar with. Finally, take it out for a test ride, and if the store allows it, consider renting it for a week or so to check it out on longer rides.
  • drosser9
    Options
    I'm not aware that BMC actually made any bikes even *near* entry level. Some prices for you to look at http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame-brand/bmc-110.html

Be 100% sure it's not second-hand or warranty replacement. When you get in a bad collision with a carbon fiber bike, the manufacturer usually gives you a discount on a replacement frame, because carbon fiber can hide latent defects from the impact. This courtesy is usually NOT given to second or follow-on owners. Additionally, the "damaged" frame should be destroyed by the shop performing the trade-in.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ive heard good things about that shop atleast and plan on getting a bike there after my tax return.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    More important than brand is fit. You probably know that.

Check reviews for specific bikes online; you can't generalize a brand in ANYTHING.