Pasta: whole wheat vs. "regular"

Options
I love pasta and I have been messing with recipes that are a bit healthier by using diced tomatoes for sauce as opposed to Prego and just a sprinkle of low fat mozzarella as opposed to layers of ooey gooey deliciousness. But what I am curious about is this: is it really that big of a difference using whole wheat pasta vs. the regular stuff??? I have a hard time eating whole wheat pasta because I don't like the gritty taste to it.

Replies

• phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    The difference is it's made with whole wheat flour, which is higher in nutrients like fiber. Regular pasta is made with white flour and is more processed, so it is lower in nutrients. Calorically, they're about the same. I suggest you try a few different brands of ww pasta before you give up on it :) I like the Ronzoni kind- also, if you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have their own really good brand of ww pasta, including some made with just brown rice and water. But if you genuinely hate it, it's okay to have the white stuff in moderation.
  • phlower
    Options
    I also want to add that even you making those little changes to the preparation can add up to BIG results in the long run! That's the stuff that leads to a lifestyle change and helps you keep the weight off for good :smile:
  • ne130172
    Options
    Thanks so much! I will have to try some brands of ww pasta. But if I stick to white I will just be sure I am eating the right size portions and using healthy ingredients. Hopefully I can stick to these changes in my diet!
  • phlower
    Options
    Oh yes, portions are EVERYTHING. Yeah, I think you've got this :wink: Just take it one day, one meal, one bite at a time. For me, that seems to be the key to lasting results.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I've heard that Dreamfields pasta is really good. I don't eat pasta so I wouldn't know.. Give it a try though.
  • crush86
    crush86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    cook it a little longer and it wont be gritty. :) It was a bit of an adjustment for my family, but now its all we use. Good luck!!
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I like the ww pasta best when I cook it a little longer.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    At first, I was also put off by the gritty, strange texture and taste of whole wheat pasta. Now, I just boil it a little longer, maybe 1 or 2 extra minutes, or I turn off the pot at the end of cooking time and just let it steep in the hot water while I set the table, and it really makes for a smoother texture. I have been using whole wheat for about 4 years now and I don't miss white pasta. In fact, I'm a little put off by its slimy texture nowadays. :)

ETA Looks like we all have success with this. :)
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i am told by a friend who works at trader joe's that their whole wheat pasta has won awards and stuff. i've had it and it IS really good, so i definitely reccomend it. i also like the whole wheat pasta from target's house brand, market pantry... as weird as that sounds.

but yeah, basically it's just more nutritious. calorically similar, but your body gets more out of it.
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I'd like it, but I was pleasantly surprised. I love the whole wheat pasta. I'd actually quit eating a lot of pasta because it has to be overcooked and soft for my system to digest it. But I don't have that problem with the whole wheat. I can have it a little chewy like it's supposed to be and I will not have the same problems with it.