Body fat question.

I just got weighed and measured today and everything is down from my previous weigh-in...but my body fat percentage is up? Even though I lost pounds AND inches? I am definitely not in-the-know enough to understand this, so can anyone explain to me why this may have happened? It's a little discouraging...

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Glycogen, water weight, muscle>fat loss ratio.

Also, were your body fat measurements taken by the same person each time?
  • cybercpa
    cybercpa Posts: 60
    How do you get your body fat measured? I would like to be able to track mine over time, since I am exercising a lot more now. Thanks for any tips!:flowerforyou:
  • cybercpa
    cybercpa Posts: 60
    How do you get your body fat measured? I would like to be able to track mine over time, since I am exercising a lot more now. Thanks for any tips!:flowerforyou:
  • BeautyFromPain

Just saying, this measurement is only as accurate as the person which holds the calipers.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Just one of the hand held machines and yep, same individual each time.

She was just as perplexed as I was considering I've lost over an inch off of my waist since my last measurements, not to mention everywhere else.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    The calipers aren't very exact, I think to get a true body fat percentage you need the water immersion test. I wouldn't sweat it, you're on the right path!
  • vichm
    vichm Posts: 174 Member
    you are right it generally does not make sense- you would think loose weight and inches and naturally that should decrease. Dont let it dishearten you if everything else is going down this has to at some point too. Just keep on the right track- if makes you feel better concerntrate on the measurements weight for a bit and leave that for a while. Then hopefully next time you check it out you will be positively surprised.
  • mrsimon302
    mrsimon302 Posts: 49 Member
    I've noticed my scale that measures BF% is very dependent on fluid level, the more water I drink the more fat it thinks I have.. so i'm trying a new thing, fasting for 12 hours before each weigh in (Fridays for me). That should give consistent results.. just an idea. I could be way off lol

my scale:
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Capacity-Recognition-Technology/dp/B004L6NTHU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346390252&sr=8-1&keywords=body+fat+scale
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

She was just as perplexed as I was considering I've lost over an inch off of my waist since my last measurements, not to mention everywhere else.

Most devices are very inacurate and should only be used as a gauge for long term progress.

Here is a good summary of the things to consider: http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=283
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,226 Member
    this depends on how you measure fat, some measuring tool consider other body element to be fat which includes water, bone density, etc..
  • BeautyFromPain

Most devices are very innacurate and should only be used as a gauge for long term progress.

Those are *kitten*! Reacons my body fat is 38% but got it checked using calipers, 2 different teachers at my fitness school and both got 27.7%.. Wonder which one I'm going with
  • Sarauk2sf

Most devices are very innacurate and should only be used as a gauge for long term progress.

Those are *kitten*! Reacons my body fat is 38% but got it checked using calipers, 2 different teachers at my fitness school and both got 27.7%.. Wonder which one I'm going with

BIAs are pretty much considered the worse.

I added this link after you quoted - but there are good write ups here on each method (the link is to the summary)

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=283
  • Have you been doing lots of intense cardio? I'm a former longdistance runner and my fat percentage is very high, because extended intense cardio shrinks muscle cells, offsetting the body: fat ratio. For me at least.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Have you been doing lots of intense cardio? I'm a former longdistance runner and my fat percentage is very high, because extended intense cardio shrinks muscle cells, offsetting the body: fat ratio. For me at least.

Shhhhhhh! You're not allowed to say this on MFP! No one told you the rules here? No one is ever, ever, EVAH allowed to say cardio affects muscles cells, mass, volume, or strength. Consider this your first warning.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Oh snap, no fighting you two. ;)

I'm trying to consider if water-weight would have been an issue. I've not been drinking any more than usual but I am a breastfeeding mother; could my milk supply have made a difference?
  • krys65
    krys65 Posts: 12 Member
    i've always gone by the army body fat calc, and altho it may not be as accurate percentage-wise as some tests, it's consistent as it only uses measurements, so I can watch the trend as I continue to modify diet and exercise...
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    I'd say the calipers aren't exact on. Why not do the measurement fat calculation as well?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Oh snap, no fighting you two. ;)

I'm trying to consider if water-weight would have been an issue. I've not been drinking any more than usual but I am a breastfeeding mother; could my milk supply have made a difference?

To be honest, there are a 101 things that could be impacting it. Pay attention to the way your clothes feel. If you are getting enough protein and you are doing strength training and you are losing weight and inches, you can almost guarantee you are losing fat.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Have you been doing lots of intense cardio? I'm a former longdistance runner and my fat percentage is very high, because extended intense cardio shrinks muscle cells, offsetting the body: fat ratio. For me at least.

Shhhhhhh! You're not allowed to say this on MFP! No one told you the rules here? No one is ever, ever, EVAH allowed to say cardio affects muscles cells, mass, volume, or strength. Consider this your first warning.

ha ha your funny :laugh:

Edit, reding back that sounds sarcastic, it wasn't meant to be though. I really did laugh ;-)