Is moderation the Key to weight loss?

Options
I have been on this site since Jan 2012 and I have seen some good ideas for weight loss and some not so good. This fast eat fast, or caveman diet, or Atkins, or WW, or any number of other systems people use to lose weight seem to work for the time you are dedicated to that program but are they truly sustainable? I only ask this because it seems to me that if you moderate your food intake to create a loss deficit will you not lose weight and maintain that loss? Add in some exercise and being active and will it not farther help to create that loss deficit? I think we try to complicate this too much and that is why a lot of people quit. I have to say that MFP is the best program I have found to help me to lose weight, because once you have eaten all your calories for the day then you just stop eating. If you want to eat more you have to work out to earn more calories! People, how hard is this? If I'm wrong I'm sure y'all will let me know! But if it an't broken dont fix it! AND GO!!!

Replies

• mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Ok so what nobody???
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I believe moderation has a lot to do with weight loss, but for me eating healthier food and cutting out fast food/ fried food almost completely has made a huge difference. Yes staying active is what it is all about!!!!
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For me it is. I still enjoy a cup of joe every so often(with creamer & sugar). Heck I had pizza hut for dinner. But I try to spend 70-80% the time being good. I cut out somethings that I don't need in life. For me the big one was coke. It was just a waste of calories for me. But if I took out all the things I enjoy I would never stick with this. I've been changing my lifestyle since Jan.
  • BuckyStarr
    Options
    Berke Breathed did a series of BLLOM COUNTRY strips where he parodied all the fad diets. In each one Opus would be in each panel saying:

"Eat Less and Exercise"

I had a dietician say that it primarily comes down to thermodynamics, if you take in more fuel than you burn you gain weight. I will add a caveat to that and say that I have found (at least for me) that it is not just eating less but eating smarter. Additionally it is also about breaking old habit and replacing them with new ones. I used to watch TV and my mouth was ALWAYS eating something, it was a compulsion. I recognized that and have eliminated it, and now I am looking more and more for other bad habits.

Eat less

Eat smarter

Exercise more.

Works for me.
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    Those are all good points! I agree that you need to make healthy food choices! Sorry I should have included that in my original post!
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Moderation and some exercise is the key, but, it's also boring, people want WOW!!! A book called eat veggies and go for a walk would sit on the bookstore shelves and turn to dust, while, the eat all the meat you want while drinking powerful delicious weightloss smoothies and lose 50 pounds in two weeks will fly off the shelves at breakneck speed.
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    Moderation and some exercise is the key, but, it's also boring, people want WOW!!! A book called eat veggies and go for a walk would sit on the bookstore shelves and turn to dust, while, the eat all the meat you want while drinking powerful delicious weightloss smoothies and lose 50 pounds in two weeks will fly off the shelves at breakneck speed.

LOL @eat veggies and go for a walk! Where can I get that book!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I've done the quick and the wow before only to gain it all back. AND at the same time saying "NO" to foods I really liked which just made me want them even more so that when I did give up on the quick and wow..guess which foods I loaded up on first..to gain the 40 lbs back that I had just lost. NO...this time I'm doing it in moderation and getting off my *kitten* more. :) I do not say "NO" to any food..but I know if I'm gonna eat a piece of carrot cake my baker son made..I'm gonna have to do some miles. It's a good trade off.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    * clenches jaw*
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    * clenches jaw*

Unclench silly! If your a low carber more power to you! If it work for you great! Dont get all militant!
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    yes.

I think you got something on your face! Sorry I couldn't resist!:laugh: :wink:
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Great attitude m doubleya.
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    ok looks like this ones dead!
  • ITS_MY_CHOICE
    ITS_MY_CHOICE Posts: 62 Member
    Options