Feet going numb?

Options
I am a big fan of the elliptical machine at the gym. One problem that I am having though, is when I up the resistance or extend the stride, my feet/toes go numb. Anybody else have this problem? And does anyone know how to fix it?

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    That happens to me too. I use an elliptical at home. The only thing I've found that helps is to exercise in flip flops vs shoes.
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I get this as well, I find occasionally doing alternate ankle rotations helps get rid of the numbness. x
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Because you are pushing harder you need more blood into the legs and feet.
    Toe and foot numbness has something to do with your shoes. Usually it meas they are either too tight at the toe, too tight over the arch or aren't the right width for your feet.

This is why the poster above would be doing it in flip flops.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    do have tightness in your calf as well? This can cause pressure on the nerve serving the foot and hence the numbness. If that's the case, then stopping for a minute to let your calf muscle relax a little should help. It should go away as your fitness improves.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    This is common on ellipticals. If you adjust your foot position every so often it should become less of a problem.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I have this problem only when I wear my tennis shoes that are smaller than the pair that I normally where. Are you shoes tight? Maybe try a half size bigger.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I've had this problem. Someone suggested raising your foot up off of the pedal when it is coming up, and that has helped me. I've also quit tying my shoes so tight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I get numbness too - find that just pedalling/striding for a minute or so up on my toes it goes away. At least for a while.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I thought it was ME getting numb feet/toes! I actually had a friend, who is a personal trainer, relace my sneakers. The top part of the sneaks had all these holes and she re-laced them in a way that has definitely helped.

At the top, there are 2 holes very close to each other. Instead of crossing the lace to the other side, she kept the lace on the same side, going from the lower hole to the upper hole....

Not sure if this helps.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I get numbness in my toes too! I wondered if I needed new trainers......after all my feet are pretty fat!

I loosen the laces and push through it......seems to work. Also happens when I train on the stationary bike!

Glad I am not the only one!
  • jen14128
    jen14128 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem! glad to know it's not just me. thanks for all the tips guys!
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Me too!! And again I thought it was just me! I must admit I do lift my foot more and have loosened my trainers and it helped. I'm not sure about wearing flip flops - maybe I'll have to try it out?

Sarah
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I have found that the stride on our elliptical at home is too long for me. To resolve this, instead of centering my feet on the foot pads (or whatever you call those things!) or having them towards the front, I keep my feet all the way at the back. No more numbness for me!
  • veronica_0920
    veronica_0920 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too- but it's with any cardio activity- I've just sort of gotten used to it, after I am thoroughly warmed-up it usually goes away :-) I've googled it, seems to be lots of reasons. Just glad it's common, and we're not alone! hehe
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I play roller derby and our skates are meant to be tight, like a second skin, so these sort of problems are very common so that's why most skaters will tell you that your shoes are too tight.
    If you wear shoes that are looser at the toe and fit your heel nice and tight you wont get it as often or at all. Getting fitted in a sports store really helps, if you can afford the time and cost of course.
    If not, keep the laces loose in the toe or just completely skip the first one or two laces holes. Gradually get tighter as you get to the ankle. If you tighten the last lace hole the most it will stabilise your heel in the shoe and stop your toes from grabbing out too much which is another cause of cramps and numbness.
    You can also try skipping the two holes over your arch. This is common for wide footed people as the width of most shoes is not made for us and crushes the arch.

Ultimately your shoes should fit without any 'bulge' over the base where the sides of the shoe may slightly cut in even if it does hurt. All these things can reduce optimum blood flow and cause numbness.
  • rhonniema
    Options
    Loosen your shoe laces a little bit & pick your feet up.