binge eating

hi everyone. i'm 22, 5'7 femle and around 140-ish lbs. i was overweight for most of my life, peaked at about 210 and lost a lot of weight but just cutting calories and exercising, and got down to 120. i didn't count calories strictly, but ate healthy (probably 1200-1500) and went to the gym 3-4x a week, 30 min cardio and light weights. i'm now In a period of binge eating and gaining weight back, and over the past year have gained close to 20 lbs back. i have tried a lot, and now am using MFP to net around 1200 calories while working out 50 mins on the elliptical 5-6x a week. i usually last about a week until i break down and binge. does anyone have tips/suggestions? what do you think is the right # of cals to net. while working out this much to get to around 125 - my goal weight? without bingeing!!!

Replies

• mss_anthropy
    mss_anthropy Posts: 31 Member
    what exactly do u mean by binging? do you have a burger and fries or is it no holds bar? 1200 cals is like bare minimum.... you could probably stand to go up a couple hundred considering you're working out like every day....but if you don't put yourself so ridiculously hard, you would be less inclined to "breakdown and binge".

best of luck to you...
  • cook2690
    cook2690 Posts: 3 Member
    i go on huge binges, like 5000 calorie days. and i usually eat around 1400-1500 and burn 500-600 in the gym.
  • venetianz
    venetianz Posts: 78 Member
    Im still a binger, i havent recovered yet. I drink a lot. Water, coffee, tea, coke zero. and that is helping me with my binges. when i get home , while preparing dinner i have a nice cup of coffee. I also buy snacks in serving sizes instead of large packs, so that if i get to binge on them i know i wont eat more than 2 servings. On tuesday i had a binging spree but i ate a whole lot of steamed veggies.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    look up the spike diet group.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I have a problem with binge eating and I finally started seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. I've only seen her twice and we're still getting to know each other, but she's assigned lots of reading and behavior logs, etc., and I can already feel a difference in my approach to food.

I've also learned that if I let myself get TOO hungry, I'm more likely to binge. I've learned to carefully plan my meals so I never get ravenous. I eat protein first for every meal, even snacks. i.e. I used to snack on, say, an apple, and then be hungry 30 minutes later. If I have one oz of cheese instead, while it does have more calories and fat than the apple, I'm able to hang on until my next meal without going overboard.

Good luck. Binge eating is a horrible habit to get into and very difficult to break.