need more help/advise.

Options
ok,

my daily calorie count is 1400.(i up'd it from 1200) yesterday, I had 1200 for the day. Every meal and snack i had was filling, but i just didn't eat enough calories. I took my kids for a walk to the park and back, and burned 900 calories. How am i supposed to eat back 900 calories? we got back around 7:00 pm, so it's not like i had the whole day to eat it back. i don't want to put my body in starvation mode. How do you all eat back your calories for the day? I normally workout in the morning, but this whole week i did it in the evening/night.
is it bad to not eat your calories back?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...a walk to the park would more than likely not burn 900 calories. People greatly overestimate calories burned. In my opinion, if you're not hungry don't eat. As long as you're getting at least 1200 calories, and you have weight to lose, you'll be ok in the short term. I only advise eating exercise calories back if you are exercising vigorously. When I do sprinting and heavy weight training I only burn 150-200 calories in 45 minutes.
  • ninavivi
    ninavivi Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 calorie counter/heart rate monitor. I walked for just under 2 hours, up hills, down hills. I walked from my house to the park, around the park twice. then back. When I do the 30ds, i'm only burning around 200 calories (but i'm doing more than just walking) I don't get it.
  • ninavivi
    ninavivi Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    should i make up some of the calories the next day?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate monitor had you burning 900 calories on a walk to the park and back? that seems way too high...Disregard. I would say like 300 maximum is what you probably burned. Even still there is no law saying you have to eat those back. As the other responder said Only eat them back if its from vigorous excersise or if you are still hungry! I was like 450 in the hole yesterday and wasnt hungry at all. Who cares. But I have been at a point before where I wasnt eating enough and felt like poo and I was starving. Thats when your body is telling you you havent given it enough fuel.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Well, different people do things different ways of course. I personally don't try to calculate calories burned with exercise. I do the same amount of exercise that I am comfortable with each week, and adjust my calorie intake based on results. It removes variables that lead to greater and greater inaccuracy.
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    you can also look at the types of foods you are eating- healthier fats in higher calories such as avocado, almond butter, etc will increase your calories, but are also good for you. Also, if you are eating the 1400, you don't have to "eat back" your workout amounts. On the days I work out I'm on a plan to stay between 1400-1500 cals. It's great that you are getting out there and moving!! Good job!
  • nichojanes
    nichojanes Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't go into 'starvation mode' until around 60 hours of not eating/eating very little.

So long as you are consuming plenty and don't feel hungry don't worry too much about it.

People worry too much about starvation mode in my opinion. Unless you have ED type eating it shouldn't be a problem.