I've lost 7lbs in a week, but am I doing something wrong?

Options
Miss_dannii
Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
Hi, I started MFP in Jan, have lost about 2 pounds per week since then give or take. I still have about 14 pounds to go til I reach my 'ideal' weight I hit a plateau, and on Sunday I decided that I'd eat really clean this week. So I am eating plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables, yoghurt and chicken. I *am* eating the 1200 calories a day that MFP tell me to. I do not do any exercise. I have been having sodium, and drinking more water.

What I want to know is, how is it possible that I have lost 7 pounds by eating like this for 4 days? I know it's not 'healthy' to lose weight that fast, so why did it happen from eating all of my calories and doing no exercise? And will I just put it back on if I start eating other foods?

Thanks.. x

Replies

• rusialeelee
    Options
    bump. curious.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    Hi, I started MFP in Jan, have lost about 2 pounds per week since then give or take. I still have about 14 pounds to go til I reach my 'ideal' weight I hit a plateau, and on Sunday I decided that I'd eat really clean this week. So I am eating plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables, yoghurt and chicken. I *am* eating the 1200 calories a day that MFP tell me to. I do not do any exercise. I have been having sodium, and drinking more water.

What I want to know is, how is it possible that I have lost 7 pounds by eating like this for 4 days? I know it's not 'healthy' to lose weight that fast, so why did it happen from eating all of my calories and doing no exercise? And will I just put it back on if I start eating other foods?

Thanks.. x

Maybe because you went too low on calories. Or maybe you lost a lot of water weight. 1,200 cala is too low, come on, bump it up a little and do some exercise. :)
  • Miss_dannii
    Options

Thanks.. x

Maybe because you went too low on calories. Or maybe you lost a lot of water weight. 1,200 cala is too low, come on, bump it up a little and do some exercise. :)

No, MFP has me set at 1200.. to lose 2 pounds per week that's what I'm told to eat. And I haven't gone too low on calories, I am eating my 1200..
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The veggies and milk products (yog) have a lot of potassium. And potassium helps to get rid of sodium and hence water retention to some extent. So, my guess would go in that direction that clean eating has helped you to loose water weight and obviously you might have lost some fat as well because of the calorie deficit. Good luck.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options

Thanks.. x

No, MFP has me set at 1200.. to lose 2 pounds per week that's what I'm told to eat. And I haven't gone too low on calories, I am eating my 1200..

Yeah MFP would tell u to eat only 1200, but you dont need to follow it. It's better for you to calculate your TDEE and from there you can make a basis for your daily caloric deficit. Google it, TDEE calculator. Hope that helps you. :)
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    your sudden change in diet and adding in the water could have caused you to lose water weight

I lost 10lbs in 10 days just cutting out bread and upping my water from 1-2 glasses a day to 8-10 glasses a day :)
  • Miss_dannii
    Options
    your sudden change in diet and adding in the water could have caused you to lose water weight

I lost 10lbs in 10 days just cutting out bread and upping my water from 1-2 glasses a day to 8-10 glasses a day :)

Did the 10lbs stay off? xx
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    So you have gone pretty low carb (except for some fruit and yoghurt??) That would cause quite a bit of water weight loss, and yes - if you start incorporating higher carbs back in some of that water weight comes back..... it is not right or wrong - just a fact of the first week of low carb ...... going forward the effect should not be that dramatic...
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    If your drinking lots of water and you weren't before then you have probably flushed the sodium away and lost a lot of water weight. If your eating clean your sodium levels have probably been low. Drinking lots of water makes a big difference on the scale. If you go back to eating salty food some may come back. Start tracking your sodium. It's enlightening. Also if you've had a plateau and you suddenly change your diet sometimes you get a good job. Id keep up the new routine. My weight loss usually goes... slow drop... slow drop.... big drop..... I don't get consistent results every week but I keep going knowing it will catch up. Maybe your the same? Few ideas anyway x
  • kevnotty
    Options
    i've lost 7pounds in 10 days by litterally sudden change of diet went from junk food/pepsi etc into a tight regime of cerial/pasta cut back on sugar in tea and dropped the pepsi for coke zero and the weight currently is dropping off
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options

yes they did, :D:D ... Ive continued not to eat bread, but I keep forgetting to drink water however, ive not lost another lb for 3weeks :(
  • Miss_dannii
    Options

yes they did, :D:D ... Ive continued not to eat bread, but I keep forgetting to drink water however, ive not lost another lb for 3weeks :(

Well at least they stayed off! I am going to keep doing this for a while and see how far I get. Thanks xx
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Something doesnt stack up. You would have to burn 3500kcals to lose a pound. So if you are not doing an exercise then you would have to consume 3500kcals less than usual - EVERY DAY. If you are taking in 1200 that suggests you used to consume 4700!! Which I presume was not the case.

Your weight will vary by pounds depending on what you recently ate/drank and when you recently pee'd and poo'd. So weigh yourself at the same time of day to get more consistent results. Look at the longer term trend rather than short term results.
  • Miss_dannii
    Options
    Something doesnt stack up. You would have to burn 3500kcals to lose a pound. So if you are not doing an exercise then you would have to consume 3500kcals less than usual - EVERY DAY. If you are taking in 1200 that suggests you used to consume 4700!! Which I presume was not the case.

Your weight will vary by pounds depending on what you recently ate/drank and when you recently pee'd and poo'd. So weigh yourself at the same time of day to get more consistent results. Look at the longer term trend rather than short term results.

Hi, I never ever exercise. I always stuck to my 1200, with the odd exception of a weekend where I'd eat what I want and then make up for it by eating less during the week. And I always weigh first thing in the morning