chin ups vs pullups

Options
I've been working on chin ups and pull ups the last month. 30 days ago I could only do 2 chin ups and no pulls ups at all. I can now do 10 chin ups, 5 pull ups.

I really like chin ups. I actually enjoy them. But I hate pull ups.

If I focus more on chin ups rather than pull ups what muscles am I ignoring?

Which do you lot prefer?

Replies

• zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    I've been working on chin ups and pull ups the last month. 30 days ago I could only do 2 chin ups and no pulls ups at all. I can now do 10 chin ups, 5 pull ups.

I really like chin ups. I actually enjoy them. But I hate pull ups.

If I focus more on chin ups rather than pull ups what muscles am I ignoring?

Which do you lot prefer?

I prefer both.

Chin ups (close grip)- focuses on the biceps more than your lats
    Pull ups (wide grip) - focuses on the lats more than the biceps
  • niktherip
    niktherip Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Chin ups for me bra all day not to much into the cobra look but do pull ups but not to fail, chin ups 10 pull ups 5
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Chin ups typically refer to the use of a supinated grip, that is with palms facing TOWARDS you.

Pull ups typically refer to the use of a pronated grip, that is with palms facing AWAY FROM you.

Chin ups tend to hit more of the lats, biceps and to a certain extend the pecs.

Pull ups hit these to a lesser degree, but hit the lower traps to a higher degree.

If you are looking for show off muscles then chins (palms towards) are your way forward, if you are concerned with posture and shoulder function then pull ups (palms away) are best.

Wide grip is supposed to emphasize your lats more, but I have not actually found that to be the case personally. The biceps are the weak link in the chain so it makes sense to me (and Dorian Yates as it happens) to put those in a position where they can be stronger and therefore lift more weight (assuming weighted chins/lat pulldowns).
  • muk2012
    muk2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not after a look as such. I've always had a week back so looking to get it stronger. I'm working on full body routines so hopefully this will help strengthen my back and core.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I hate them both equally (and suck at them too.......something for me to work on.)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I prefer pull up to chin ups, I've always been able to do a decent number of both.
  • dirtydmvkid
    Options
    HATE pull ups. HATE. They just remind me how weak I really am haha! At the height of my physical fitness I could bang out 15-20. I'm at 10 on a good day now.
    I would suggest pull ups vs. chin up.
    Just my two cents.
  • REMagness
    REMagness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I enjoy them both, but prefer chin-ups. . . acutally I prefer super-setting chin-ups with dips to the point of muscle fatigue! That's a fantastic upper body work-out! Your arms will thank you!
  • muk2012
    muk2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great idea about doing it with dips. Might give that a try.

Although I hate pull ups I suppose I should focus on things I'm not good at.

Thanks above for the muscle explanations.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of variations of pulls and chins, but my favorite are neutral grip pull-ups (palms facing each other just outside of shoulder width grip)
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You're not ignoring any muscles by choosing to do one over the other. They both use the same exact muscles. You use your biceps a little more than your lats with chin-ups and vice versa for pull-ups, but you're still using the same muscles. Just do whichever one you prefer.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    They both use the same exact muscles. You use your biceps a little more than your lats with chin-ups and vice versa for pull-ups,

Not quite with chinups you get more bicep and lats, with pull ups you get less of those 2 but more trap involvement.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Pullups use the small brachialis mucle in the upper arm much moreso than the bicep. Chinups use the bicep.

That is the main muscle activation difference between the two.