Turning 30-what you did and how it was significant!

Replies

• It was pretty tramatic for me last year! But I said I wanted to ring in my birthday touring Napa Valley, going to wineries and getting drunk...I did and it was fab! (31 was harder than 30 though....)
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    One week before I turned thirty I had my youngest daughter. So I was a little distracted. In a good way. It was a good birthday. :happy: :happy:
  • eyestylemom
    eyestylemom Posts: 107 Member
    I also had a tough time when I hit 30. I have no idea why it bothered me so much. I spent the day at the spa with my girlfriends, which did help. That being said, I love being in my 30's now! I feel like I have come into my own and really have a great sense of who I am. And I also find that I am really really looking forward to turning 40, which is four years away now. And my hubby seems to be dreading 40 and was absolutely fine with turning 30. Go figure.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    I'm turning 30 in November, I knew it would be hard for me...so I made myself goals to accomplish! For one I wanted to be in the best shape I could possibly be by 30 (finally reached my goal weight and have 2 more months to build some muscle) and to run my first half marathon (Sept. 30, 2012). I'm also going to Cancun 3 days after my birthday to celebrate my 1st wedding anniversary and show off this new body of mine!!

All these things to ease into the fact that I'm going to be 30 LOL!!
  • 82ale
    82ale Posts: 32 Member
    I went to a very nice restaurant, Michael Symon's Lola in Cleveland, and had the best meal and bottle of wine of my life.

30 really did mess with my head. I felt like I wasn't where I wanted to be for so many reasons. I felt like this is the time to be in charge of my health and weight, if I didn't take the opportunity I'm going to wake up at 50 and be mostly dead and full of regrets.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    My 30th was pretty non-eventful... but there is a much longer story entailed with that one! :wink: But it was a good party as I had a few friends come out that I haven't seen but now that I'm 34 :drinker: it keeps getting better!! :bigsmile:

Edit: Happy Birthday by the way! Hope that you enjoy your day!
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Oh. That was 18 years ago for me.. But, I do remember it.. I was active duty in the military, no wife, no kids, no real direction in life. I looked at my sister who was three years younger than me, who had kids, great marriage, great homelife, the American Dream. I got pretty depressed at how little I had done up to that point, and I just got drunk. I got so drunk, I felt 60 the next morning.. Now, in serious retrospect, I had accomplished a lot by that time in the Operations I had been a part of, all the parts of the world I had lived in and visitied, all the people I had met, and all the stories I could tell.. Amazing how your perspective changes over time. And, in time, I did (do) have my own awesome family life and American Dream. :)
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    I was actually at a dear friend's wedding on my 30th, it was a good night!

Turning 30 helped spur me on to look and feel better than I did in my 20's.
  • My wife went into labor with our second, and last child the evening of my 30th birthday so I don't remember much else. You would think that would make his birthday and age real easy to remember. However, I have trouble remembering how old I AM! Other than that turning 30 was no big deal.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    i went out and got drunk of course. lol no. nothing big. nothing horrible. no different from turning any other age to me. just another birthday.
  • My 30th kick started my weight loss..... Slapped in the face with my age lol... Realised i was a tickeing bomb!!!

Last year on my birthday, I was a size 24.... this year 12 top, 16 bottom!!!!

Best year EVER!!!!

X
  • dvelocity
    dvelocity Posts: 309 Member
    I turned 30 years ago. My husband at the time told me for months that he was throwing me a party at the top of a building downtown. I was to not worry about anything.

Surprise, the party was in my friends backyard, the invitations were sent out three days prior. My husband did very little work. My friends decorated, picked up the food, drinks, set everything up, had to worry about set up and take down.

he's now my ex-husband. I knew he was a loser but it was another example of his broken promises to me.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    I went out dancing with 2 of my girlfriends the night before, and drank gin… heavily… I had to start packing the next day (on my actual birthday) to move, and was completely useless.

I learned a very important lesson on my 30th birthday; Drink gin responsibly. Drink tequila like water.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Mine is in December and I plan on getting a sitter and drinking heavily with people I rarely get to see anymore!
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    i turned 30 in june, just feels like a new era, not the oldest of the 20s anymore, but the youngest of the 30s

i can safely say tho im in the best shape of my life and feel better than i did at 18, so who cares if im 30!

^ This!! I turned 30 last week, and I was strangely excited about it. I have reached a lot of my personal goals, am healthier than I've been since high school, have a wonderful family, and am more confidant in myself. My thoughts on it are... you can't change your age but you can definitely own it. To me, nothing's sexier than someone who knows exactly who they are and owns it! (I'm still working toward that!)
  • michelleindeed
    michelleindeed Posts: 117 Member
    I'm turning thirty in November and I'm still debating if I just want to do dinner with my husband or something with friends or ...yeah, I have no idea. :)
  • I turn 30 in 40 days (not that I'm counting down or anything). What I want to do to celebrate is get into the best shape of my life. I'm really on the way there! I know that I've dropped dress sizes so even if I don't hit my goal weight I'm already so happy with where I'll be physically.

My birthday is on a Thursday, and that Friday I have to go out of state for a wedding. Something tells me there really won't be any celebration.
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    My 30th was just a fun night out with friends. We went to a dueling piano bar, ate too much, sung along with the piano players too much, and definitely drank too much. Apparently, I didn't feel that there was enough alcohol in my drinks, so I kept requesting "more captain, less coke". It became the tag-line for the evening.

It was a lot of fun, turning 30 wasn't that bad at all. It was turning 35 last year that was rough for me. I didn't like the thought of moving into my mid-30's.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    I'm 32 now, for 30 I probably went out for supper w/ my family. No significance, just another year. I get more anxious about my kids growing older than myself...
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Turned 30 last year and don't wanna be a debbie downer but as a pal here puts it. I realize I have at least another 30 years before I can retire and if I keep going at this pace I may just be breaking even by then. So I'm going back to school.
    This is what I've done when I realized I'm no longer that young but need to stop thinking about living it up and thinking about preparing for the future.
    I realize your questions was probably oriented to ideas for celebration, I'm just giving you my take.