HRM Hell! Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• xxloveiswarr
    Options
    Also thanks for all the responses!!! Sooo much to think about.
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7. The chest strap has never bothered me.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    rrr
    I guess I'm mostly hesitant because I don't really know how it works? I'm clueless about everything as far as these sorts of things and I find it intimidating, don't know how it would stay in place.

Like anything else we learn, we must be exposed or curious. So research. If you go to Polarusa.com, there are detailed explanations about every product. In depth comparisons, detailed menus. On and on. Everything you want to know is there. research and compare the FT4 & FT7. Review the step by step video of each that explains each setting and step. All will be answered.

They both use an adjustible, elastic band that simply hooks together. The receiver is a small 2 inch piece of plastic housing that attaches or detaches very quickly. You seat the band under you breast and center the reciever. The watch communicates with the reciever and displays/stores your heart rate. Those are the basics. Very easy. Very simple.

Amazon charges about $65 for the FT4 and $75 fir the FT7.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started with a watch-only type - quickly got frustrated with it and having to pause workouts to touch the face of the watch for a reading, and it didn't always track the first time, so have to do it again, and now I'm standing still during my workout instead of staying in motion... :explode:

Got myself a New Balance N4 with a chest strap - SO much better! Put it on, press start on the watch, and off I go through my workout. I thought the strap would bug me, but I don't even know it's there - it sits right under the elastic band of my sports bra.

When I was shopping for mine, I narrowed my choices down to either a Polar or the NB, based on feedback from people here at MFP, and by the customer reviews on Amazon. I'm on a tight budget, so I looked for new items of both models on eBay - within a week I had the New Balance for $26 - brand new, in the box -works great!
  • jjl0412
    Options
    rrr
    I guess I'm mostly hesitant because I don't really know how it works? I'm clueless about everything as far as these sorts of things and I find it intimidating, don't know how it would stay in place.

Like anything else we learn, we must be exposed or curious. So research. If you go to Polarusa.com, there are detailed explanations about every product. In depth comparisons, detailed menus. On and on. Everything you want to know is there. research and compare the FT4 & FT7. Review the step by step video of each that explains each setting and step. All will be answered.

They both use an adjustible, elastic band that simply hooks together. The receiver is a small 2 inch piece of plastic housing that attaches or detaches very quickly. You seat the band under you breast and center the reciever. The watch communicates with the reciever and displays/stores your heart rate. Those are the basics. Very easy. Very simple.

Amazon charges about $65 for the FT4 and $75 fir the FT7.

You can also go to You Tube and get fairly good examples of devices in use.
  • jjl0412
    Options
    Let us know what you decide! :wink:
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have an older Polar F5 with the chest strap. It's still kicking along and doing fine.. After you wear the chest strap for a time or two, you don't even notice it, especially if you are really gettin' your sweat on and working out..
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Agreed!! I have the Polar FT7 and LOVE it! My husband just picked it up a few days ago, as an early birthday present. I don't know how I ever counted calories before this!!! And it even tracks my fat burning zone & fitness zone...The chest strap is not at all uncomfortable...Good luck!
    The accurate HRMs need you to wear a chest strap to get the full picture of your heart rate going up and down throughout the course of your exercise session.

I have a Polar FT60 and really find the strap quite comfortable actually!

Agreed! and I too have the Polar FT60 and you really forget your have the chest strap on over time... I put it on head to the gym and don't even give it a second thought. It is comfortable and doesn't cause any issues... Best of Luck!
  • wanda601
    wanda601 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow Ed! 311 pounds lost! That's amazing! congratulations!
  • xxloveiswarr
    Options
    Well I've certainly changed my opinion on the whole chest strap thing. I'm REALLY leaning towards the Polar FT60 right now although I've got to spend a little more time researching before being willing to spend that kind of money! I really am intrigued by the BodyMedia products, however I just don't like the idea that I'd have to log on online and trust the results to upload. Also looking at the reviews, the Polars had MUCH better reviews. Should be making a purchase within the next week or so!
  • jjl0412
    Options
    Well I've certainly changed my opinion on the whole chest strap thing. I'm REALLY leaning towards the Polar FT60 right now although I've got to spend a little more time researching before being willing to spend that kind of money! I really am intrigued by the BodyMedia products, however I just don't like the idea that I'd have to log on online and trust the results to upload. Also looking at the reviews, the Polars had MUCH better reviews. Should be making a purchase within the next week or so!

MAke a note of what you want to record or know. If you want/need all the features of that model, get it.

I like the fact I can change my own batteries with out having to send it off. I can upload data or dload logos with my FT7 and the additional usb linkup, sold seperately. 99 file entries and weekly summeries. Automatic graph of fat or fitness stat. Simple, easy, and dependable.

G4U. Go for what you want! :happy:
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Check out Bodytronics.com............that's where I got my PolarFT4...........cheaper than Amazon! The only thing I dont like about the chest strap is when I am running I get so sweaty that the strap tends to start to slide down!!!! :sad: