help! I did everything right and I gained!!!!

Options
hey everyone, I have a question and I'm hoping someone could answer. This past week, I ate perfectly (consuming the cals that Mfp assigned me). I also worked out everyday, completing 40 minutes of cardio daily and weight training. when I stepped on the scale today, it said I gained 1 pound! what the hell is going on? I'm so discouraged.

Replies

• lunnay
    lunnay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This can happen if you start training: your muscles can start retaining fluids to help with regeneration. 1 pound difference can also be accounted for with just water gain. Your weight can fluctuate just on fluids / other things you retain. If you ate under your calories, it's likely you lost some fat but may be gaining weight from other (temporary!) things.

What is the rate of weight loss you selected on MFP?
  • MattKerklin
    Options
    2.0 lbs per week, is that ok?
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Don't believe the scale. Trust your diet and exercise. Several weeks ago my scale told me that I had gained 3 pounds. I knew that wasn't possible. I stuck to my diet. A week later the scale said I had lost nothing. My clothes were telling me a different story. Another week... nothing. Grrrr. I stuck to the diet. Another week later and the scale "caught" up with me and showed a loss of over 5 pounds.

A scale weighs more than just fat. It also weighs water and muscle. If you are retaining some extra water it's going to show up on the scale. Drink more water to reduce water retention. Working out everyday is great but remember, muscle weighs more than fat. You could have easily lost 2 pounds of fat and gained 3 pounds of muscle.

How your clothes fit is a better indicator of success.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Did you poop? Also, a gallon of water weighs around 8 pounds. If you have one drink suddenly you've "gained" weight. I put it in quotes since it isn't really gaining.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you've been on the program for a short time then I would not be concerned - just stay with the program and you should see positive results. If this happens after six weeks then you probably have to make some adjustments with calorie intake or exercise increases. Setting your weight loss to 2 lbs/ week seems acceptable. Best of luck.
  • Romeolo
    Romeolo Posts: 28
    Options
    Okay this is where people make the mistake. Sugar. Whatever you eat, look upon your sugar levels. Thus being. If to much consumed it makes itself a transition to fat. Your body needs it to burn, so if sitting there, its just not going to do anything. Dont just focus on the cals. Low carb high protein diets are best for weightloss. Everything you eat should be 5g of sugar or lower. If not thats your mistake. Keep it simple guys. Peace
  • relucas81
    Options
    When this happens, I put the scale away for a couple weeks. If it won't play nice it has to sit in the corner ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    hey everyone, I have a question and I'm hoping someone could answer. This past week, I ate perfectly (consuming the cals that Mfp assigned me). I also worked out everyday, completing 40 minutes of cardio daily and weight training. when I stepped on the scale today, it said I gained 1 pound! what the hell is going on? I'm so discouraged.
    Only 1? My clients usually gain 3 or 4.:laugh:
    Totally normal. Water retention and glycogen storage are to be expected when one takes up a new exercise routine.
    Just keep doing it.

And don't try to lose more than 1% of your body weight a week. You'll set yourself up for discouragement and failure since weight loss isn't linear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lunnay
    lunnay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you had a very low rate selected you could be eating very close to your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calories, but at 2lbs per week you should have a high daily deficit. As hard as it is to ignore the number on the scale, it sounds like you should do it this once. It is very likely you're just retaining a lot of fluids.
    Like LauraDotts said, definitely drink more water or unsweetened tea, and it'll help flush out some of the water you're retaining.

Keep tracking what you're eating and favoring healthier meals, and you'll see the weight coming off. :)
  • MattKerklin
    Options
    Okay this is where people make the mistake. Sugar. Whatever you eat, look upon your sugar levels. Thus being. If to much consumed it makes itself a transition to fat. Your body needs it to burn, so if sitting there, its just not going to do anything. Dont just focus on the cals. Low carb high protein diets are best for weightloss. Everything you eat should be 5g of sugar or lower. If not thats your mistake. Keep it simple guys. Peace

Understood, should I be eating even less sugar than Mfp allows me then?
  • dawten
    dawten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Tape measure, tape measure, tape measure.

I can't say that enough. When you first start working out you absolutely cannot trust the scale. There are tons of posts on this same subject.

Please don't give up...it could take up to 3 weeks before you really see the "drop" of pounds, but you WILL see it. And you will be pleasantly surprised. By the time the scale actually drops, your clothes will have already started to fit better. So, always use your measurements as a guide in the beginning (and through out) your training.

Measure the thickest part of your thighs and arms. Measure your neck, measure your waist and (do not suck it in) measure the widest part of your hips... I promise in 2 weeks those numbers will change if you follow what you have been doing so far.

Just please don't give up. :wink:
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    MFP goals are notoriously low. Check your BMR and TDEE and reassess.
    That being said, it has only been a week. Your body takes longer to change.
    Watch your sodium intake and refined sugar.
    How are your macros? Have you been eating within them consistently?
  • MattKerklin
    Options
    Only 1? My clients usually gain 3 or 4.:laugh:
    Totally normal. Water retention and glycogen storage are to be expected when one takes up a new exercise routine.
    Just keep doing it.

And don't try to lose more than 1% of your body weight a week. You'll set yourself up for discouragement and failure since weight loss isn't linear.

thank you! I feel much better after reading this!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MattKerklin
    Options

I can't say that enough. When you first start working out you absolutely cannot trust the scale. There are tons of posts on this same subject.

Please don't give up...it could take up to 3 weeks before you really see the "drop" of pounds, but you WILL see it. And you will be pleasantly surprised. By the time the scale actually drops, your clothes will have already started to fit better. So, always use your measurements as a guide in the beginning (and through out) your training.

Measure the thickest part of your thighs and arms. Measure your neck, measure your waist and (do not suck it in) measure the widest part of your hips... I promise in 2 weeks those numbers will change if you follow what you have been doing so far.

Thank you!!!
  • jaeysson
    jaeysson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the lbs. Worry about the inches. Losing lbs fluctuates daily based on water retention, food in your stomach, TTM, etc. The scale is a horrible measure for success in short time frames. Just know that eating right and exercising is good for you even if you aren't losing any lbs.
  • erindh87
    erindh87 Posts: 94
    Options
    When you do weigh, make sure you are weighing yourself consistently (i.e., same time every morning/night, same clothes, post toilet use, etc.). Personally, I'm slightly addicted to weighing myself. :) I tend to step on the scale several times a day. I'll see my weight fluctuate ~3-4 lbs during the day.

I record my weight every morning and keep track of the variations. I only report my Monday weights on MFP because they tend to be my average number throughout the week.

Just find something that works for you. Some people do better with daily, some with weekly, some with just measurements, etc. Just try not to get discouraged if you see the number go up. If you're eating correctly and exercising, it's most likely just water retention. :)
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Yep--don't weigh yourself for a while. Wait a few weeks. Keep doing what you're doing. 1) Eat well--lean proteins, complex carbs, healthy fats. Don't eat crap--eat better foods instead of fewer processed food. Agree about the sugar--limit fruits as well. 2) Work out/exercise regularly. Some days I run, some days I lift, other days I just walk alot. 3) Wait for you clothes to feel looser. Then weigh yourself. Gaining 1lb in a week doesn't mean anything. I can gain or lose 3-5 lbs in 24hrs depending on diet and exercise, but I know it's water weight or loss. If gain 5 lbs in 4 weeks then I know I've really gained 5lbs.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Remember to figure in time of the month too-not just your af but ovulation can cause a slight weight gain. That added with all the other things (if you've, ahem, pooped, how much water you are drinking, etc)...just keep it up and see what happens. I'll bet even if the scales don't tell a pretty story your clothes will start to show you what a good job you're doing!!! :)
  • MattKerklin
    Options
    wow I've never made a post on here but now I see why other people do. Thanks everyone, the advice and encouragement means a lot!!!!
  • natalie3t
    natalie3t Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post, I have been faithfully logging all my food and water intake and exersizing steady for a week and I also have actually put on a little weight...uggggggh. I feel like giving up but I know I have just started. Thanks for the encouragement, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and watch the sugar....
    feel encouraged!!!!
    Natalie