eating disorder recovery

Options
since the age of 9 years old I battled an eating disorder where I would not only undereat but also eat in secret. I had kept it hidden for a long time. I decided that I needed to get help for it so I enrolled myself in an eating disorder rehab program. so far I am 3 days in and its going pretty well. i am learning that I need to eat more but wiser choices and smaller portions. since eating properly I am losing this unwanted weight but gaining confidence. i have my diary open to public at first I kept it secret because I was ashamed about what I ate and was afraid of being judged but I found in doing so it did not help me. keeping eating secret at least for me makes it worse. I log everything I eat the good, the bad and the ugly. I know I run the risk of sharing my story a lot of people do not understand eating disorders think its easy you just need to eat more or eat less but its not as simple as it sounds. theres a much deeper issues than that. for me it was an escape mechanism not having to show my feelings on what was happening to me and the hard life I have lead its only now facing those things head on and dealing with the issues deep inside me that I am becoming a success. perhaps in sharing my story I can encourage those here who are struggling with eating disorders like me that there is someone like you who understands. for anyone struggling with eating disorders feel free to friend me:) sometimes you need to know someone out there understands what you are going through.

Replies

• NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    That's awesome You've been in recovery and are doing so well!! I myself have been a part of OEA(Overeaters Anonymous) which is now considered an eating disorder alond with bulemia and anorexia. Overeaters reap alot of the same bad thngs as the others. I wish you a ton of luck on your journey!!!
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I was anorexic and binger for years!! I still have problems with the binges. Good luck with your journy to recovery.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    That's really great to hear! I wish you nothing but the best and I'm sure you will be inspirational to many! :)
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi i am so pleased for you that you are on the road to recovery and i admire your bravery for speaking out about your struggles. Wishing you success, health and happiness x
  • winterdancer
    Options
    thanksI am going to be starting a challenge with another lady.

1. get a 3 subject notebook divide in 3 sections

section 1 vision board= cut out inspiring words and images from a magazine in the first few pages. they must be good for you to look at. you can do inspiring poetry, what places you want to go what you want in life etc.

section 2 mind dump when you feel like binging write it out how do you feel? why do you feel that way? what is causing the binging etc. keep writing like you are getting out every thought out of your head.

section 3 affirmation and gratitude

before you binge commit to writing 10 things you are thankful for, 10 things you love about yourself or what you want for yourself. say it like you have it. I am starting this with another lady so any who would like to join me in this challenge let me know
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Great job! I dealt with an eating disorder throughout my life, the majority of the time no one knew. I would hardly eat and than demolish/bing food behind closed doors. No one had a clue, until I stopped the whole binging part, than ppl figured it out. Stress is a whole trigger and I used food as a control mechanism. I have moments, but it gets easier once you initally deal with it...support is aways there. Good luck.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    That is amazing that you enrolled yourself and are getting help for yourself. You are making great strides in realizing that eating is not secret and it doesn't need to be considered "shameful". ((HUGS)) and keep up the good work!
  • skinnydreams933
    Options
    I'm struggling with two eating disorders and I really need support
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!