am I gluten or lactose intolerant?

Options
Is there an easy way to find out? I live in China right now and I am not sure where to find a nutritionist to do the allergy test.
All of my life i've been eating dairy and wheat, daily. I don't eat any type of meat except chicken breast and fish so I include dairy and wheat in my diet a lot. Also it's part of the culture in south east Europe (where i'm from), that is basically what everybody eats. And what i noticed is, my stomach gets really bloated every time after eating. It started in early age, I remember noticing that when I was 10!
The bloating doesn't go away for at least an hour, and I look like I'm pregnant. Other people noticed that too,I learned how to live with it and I never thought I might have a lactose or gluten allergy!
So I heard that you CAN kind of find out by yourself, do I just have to exclude dairy one week and wheat the next to see if I am still bloating?
Has anyone done this?

Replies

• lindseyb317
    lindseyb317 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem. after eating wheat, I'd look pregnant within ten minutes. mine would last for hours/days though. I cut all gluten out of my diet for three weeks and it solved all of my symptoms. I think I may also be partially lactose intolerant as well but regardless, an elimination period is best so you can pinpoint trigger foods and decide whether or not to continue eating them based on how you feel. Best! Lindsey.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think you should definitely eliminate one or the other from your diet, but I don't think one week may be enough time to really know for sure. It would take your digestive track (I would think) at least a couple of weeks to repair. Good luck! My daughter has Celiac's (gluten intolerance) and she has been very sick until she was diagnosed and eliminated gluten from her diet.
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem about 7 years ago. The doctor tested me for Celiacs and I gave up dairy: turned out to be a dairy intolerance for me. The other poster was correct; it takes at least 2 weeks to notice a complete difference. I would imagine dairy is easier to give up so you might want to eliminate that one first.

Also, an intolerance and an allergy are two different things. You can eventually die from too much exposure to an allergen but will wish you were dying from too much exposure to an intolerance! You don't necessarily have to go to an allergist for a diagnosis. I believe testing for Celiacs is quite common; it’s just a blood test. Testing for a dairy intolerance is typically not recommended because of the pain and discomfort involved. Most tests make you drink a lactose-enriched beverage and then have blood drawn or breath into a tube every hour for a few hours to measure the reaction.

Personally, dairy causes EXTREME digestive discomfort for me so you couldn't pay me to take a dairy intolerance test. Good luck!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    thanks to all of you!
    I will try to eliminate both for 2 weeks (not at the same time) and see what happens.
    Gosh, I hope I'm not intolerant to any, because I'm a student and I live in China, and here I'll find very few products for lactose or gluten intolerant people. Even in Serbia you can get lactose free milk and yoghurt and gluten free stuff.. but here? They are imported and that's gonna be too expensive.
    I am not in position of being intolerant, haha :)
    but if the bloating will stop, maybe all the sacrifices will be worth it!!
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    don't confuse intolerance with allergies for one thing. an intolerance will involve your digestive system so you will have symptoms of stomach aches, headaches, nausea. allergies are can affect your digestive system, but are more centered around your immune system. an allergy will give you symptoms such as swelling, itching, rashes.

if i were you, i would exclude dairy or gluten products from your diet for longer than a week. i'm lactose intolerant and i don't get bloated from dairy products. i definitely get headaches from drinking milk and upset stomachs from other dairy products. there are little lactose pills you can take that will prevent you from getting these symptoms. i would check your local convenient store to see if they have some. just take a few of the pills before you know you're going to ingest dairy. my chef instructor told me about these pills because he is also lactose intolerant and doesn't want to get sick whenever he taste tests his students' food. definitely do your research though!
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I started out lactose intollerant. And I used to get away with eating dairy with lactaid pills. But it slowly got worse. Now I can not have anything with any kind of dairy. No lactose, whey or casine. After doing more research about it I found that some people get the lactose problem because they have a wheat problem. So now I am just starting to cut out all the wheat as well and see if I get better.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    FWIW it takes 6 weeks for the body to remove all dairy once you have eliminated it from your diet. Any nutritionist will tell you to do at least 6 weeks dairy free to see if that helps symptoms, then you start reintroducing different forms of dairy, starting with the most processed (butter) in two week batches (so 2 weeks of eating cooked products containing butter, then if all OK, two weeks of trying uncooked butter, then if all OK, two weeks cooked cheese, uncooked hard cheese, soft cheese, cooked milk products, milk) and you need to faithfully track all food intake and all symptoms during this whole process. Remember that any intolerance may be to milk i general, but is more likely to be to one of the dairy proteins ie: lactose or casien, which are easier to avoid than all milk products:)

I takes 6 months for the body to remove all traces of gluten, and there is gluten in the most amazing things - very difficult to go gluten free without lots of money or lots of help LOL. I don't know if there is a similar reintroduction policy with gluten products as we managed the 6 months to the day without any noticeable differences to anyone in the family and I was ecstatically happy to just start eating normally again;)

Just to make life a little more difficult, food intolerances can change over time, especially if you are still quite young (making assumptions about your student status), and many people "grow out of" them, so nutritionists recommend trying small amounts regularly to check if symptoms reappear.

FYI, food allergies can be checked with a blood test. food intolerances are usually only found through symptoms and elimination diets.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I found out I was lactose intolerant last year. Call me a slow learner (I am 42). Anyway, Dr recommended just a week off dairy, then drink a nice glass of milk. This is not hugely scientific, but it gives you an idea of where to start, after the milk I had a horrible stomach ache and other lovely digestive symptoms. Through trial and error, I have found I can eat more processed dairy, yogurt, cheese, butter, etc and have no issues. It is mostly milk. For milk I use the lactaid tablets. Wish I had figured this out years ago!
  • shrinkingkiwi
    shrinkingkiwi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free is a big step and allot of manufactured gluten free product are expensive and really unhealthy. I would suggest trying to eliminate lactose first for a few weeks. If the doesn't seem to help enough then get a blood test for coeliac disease (you need to be on a gluten containing diet while you do this). Uncontrolled coeliac can make you sensitive ot dairy and fructose - so best to rule it out.

If you have ruled out coeliac then try the FODMAP diet and start introducing foods back and see what you react to. Fructose intolerance is really common and wheat contains fructose. The diet is hard - I got put on it and was almost relieve when I was told I was coeliac and only needed to avoid gluten! But it might help narrow it down.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Get a GI Health Panel test, if you can find a Dr. who does them. This is how I learned of my gluten, dairy, corn and soy intolerances.

http://www.diagnostechs.com/Pages/GIPatientOverview.aspx