Birthday Cake??

Options
My birthday is Tuesday, and with the holiday coming up, the calories will be pouring in. I have a big dinner set for tomorrow night, with cake included, and a family party for Sunday. Then my office always gets the birthday person a cake- Honestly I just want to lose weight. Everytime I make progress, I seem to ruin it with desserts or big meals. How can I avoid it when it is right in front of my face?

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Birthday food has no calories :wink:

Seriously though, pre-log it into your food diary for the day and eat your normal food around that. Have very small portions of the cake/other junk and just plan for it ahead of time.

Or just have an intense workout afterwards.
  • timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If I know that I am going to have a treat or a big meal I always up my workout and pre log what I am going to eat so that I can stay in my limits. Happy Birthday!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    have a teeny bit or if you up the exercise then have a slightly bigger bit!! Happy birthday :)
    its also no fun counting calories on your birthday so you could also splurge that one day and then get back to it the next day :)
    I know I'm being indecisive in my advice lol!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with imsomiac. Work around the cake and make sure you have lots of healthy food in fridge to eat for the rest of the time. The worst thing that you could do would be to dolefully say something along the lines of 'poor me, it's not my fault I'm overweight is it?' then take the attitude that you've blown it thus continuing the unhealthy eating. Just do the very best that you can and most of all, enjoy your birthday cake- eat it slowly and really enjoy every mouthful! Happy birthday!!! xxx:flowerforyou:
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

haha love this :)
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I am sure at the office, you know who will be the one getting the cake. A quick conversation could change things around and possibly a big fruit salad instead of cake? For the dinner out, I would eat half the dinner and take the other half home for lunch the next day (my birthday was on Aug 9th and this is how I enjoyed my dinner out). And for the family celebration (which I am assuming is at someone's house and not a restaurant) just remember portion control. You should be able to enjoy all these things in moderation. And throwing in some extra time at the gym or out walking couldn't hurt either.

Hope you have a great birthday! :smile:
  • brandi22479
    brandi22479 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    FIRST, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :flowerforyou:

Second, we all have a certain amount of calories we take in and exercise that we do to burn off calories, so simply work in a small piece and the food from your dinner so that you are able to enjoy and celebrate and not sway from your goals.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Log it and work out! Don't stress, that is more harmful to you then the cake! lol Happy Birthday!!!!
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I agree if you can plan ahead and work out extra to get more calories under your belt that day it works out nice, plus smaller portions.

I like to skip the ice cream and just eat cake. you can also scrap off ALOT of frosting while still enjoying the flavor. most of the frosting on the cake is meant for decoration since it covers the holes and what not in the cake, so if you scrape it off you are saving calories. I leave the stuff on top.

when you go out for dinner have them box up your sides (baked potatoes, etc and ask for a box to set aside 1/2 of your dinner salad cause the portions are generally bigger than you need and 1/2 of your entree as the portions are huge. Also you can ask for your sauces, butters on the side so you can only put on what you need as there is often lots of calories in those that you may not even need!

When ever possible I look up the menu of a restraunt online, and plan my meal and a back up choice before I go so I can plan the rest of my day around what I am having for supper. have a back up though...I learned that the hard way when they were out of crab legs last time and over induldudged in y last minute choice!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I am sure at the office, you know who will be the one getting the cake. A quick conversation could change things around and possibly a big fruit salad instead of cake? For the dinner out, I would eat half the dinner and take the other half home for lunch the next day (my birthday was on Aug 9th and this is how I enjoyed my dinner out). And for the family celebration (which I am assuming is at someone's house and not a restaurant) just remember portion control. You should be able to enjoy all these things in moderation. And throwing in some extra time at the gym or out walking couldn't hurt either.

Hope you have a great birthday! :smile:

I completely agree. You could just tell management that you're watching your sugar levels and really can't eat cake right now (if you make it a potential medical issue nobody will likely bug you about it).. but personally I'd just enjoy the cake!
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I say " don't worry about it" Have a great day relax a little. Enjoy the day and have a happy birthday. One day did not make any of us fat it was years in the making. So what if you go over your calories one day. Just get back on track and work it back off.

"No worries"
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just have a little bit? Thats what I would likely do. Less frosting.

Also, maybe ask if they can get like an angel food cake with whipped cream and strawberries? Thats not bad at all and really good.
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    Do a bit more exercise that day and earn yourself some? That's what I did on my birthday.
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cake is part of living. Who would want a world without cake, anyway. BUT: I try to choose the BEST cake and have some. At my current job, they have a tradition of giving candy to employees on Valentine's Day. The office manager was aware of my dietary changes and asked if I still wanted the candy. I said thank you but no, you could bring me some celery. And you know what? She did!

Don't sweat it too much. Ask for what you need.
  • MissErinPaige
    Options
    Thanks! Those are all really good ideas. I think I WILL have myself an appropriate size piece and exercise a little more. After all, it isssss my birthday ;)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

Amen