Easy chili recipe?

Options
I LOVE chili! I am not much of a cook so I am looking for an easy, low calorie recipe. Anybody have one to share with me???
:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Teleri
    Teleri Posts: 32
    Options
    The calories mostly come from the meat. So choose your meat wisely. You can choose a low fat ground beef like 93/7 or ground turkey, or ground buffalo.
    The recipe I like to use that is super quick and easy is on the back of the williams seasoning mix.

Williams Chili Seasoning
    2lbs ( I use 1lb and just don't use the whole thing of seasoning)
    1 can of tomato sauce
    1 can of pinto beans or red kidney beans
    1 can of diced tomatoes or you can just use water
    you can also add chopped up bell pepper

You cook the meat in a skillet. Drain the fat. Add the tomato ingredients beans and seasoning.
    Simmer for at least 10 minutes..
    SUPER easy and actually really yummy.

I ate it for dinner last night with 93/7 beef and even after adding cheese it was about 600 calories.
  • amyholan
    amyholan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot? I have the BEST chili recipe... 300 calories per serving and 16 grams of protein. It's vegetarian too, so it's super healthy.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    you can also us groung boca meat ~ it adds the texture of beef but not all the fat and calories AND because there is tons of flavor in chili, you can never notice its not the real thing. I use it in spaghetti sauce too... no one can tell :)
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    healthy lean chili

1 package lean ground turkey
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 onion diced
    1 green pepper diced
    1 can sliced mushrooms
    1 can mixed beans
    1 can tomatoe paste
    1 can chopped or diced tomatoes (alymers chilli or garlic accents is nice)
    2 garlic cloves or tbsp minced garlic or tsp garlic powder

fry ground turkey then add spices & veggies...simmer...add tomatoe paste last.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    One of the easiest recipes I have, and really good! Calls for ground beef, but I've substituted with ground turkey and it's still delicious.

1 lb. ground turkey
    1 can chili beans (has chili seasoning in it)
    1 envelope chili seasoning
    1 can Hunts spaghetti sauce

Brown meat, then add remaining ingredients. Simmer for as long as you want...the longer the better. Doubles very nicely. THe spices in the spaghetti sauce take care of the onion, garlic, etc. Really tasty.
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    my chili is similar to all of the above but i like to use the extra lean ground turkey (99%), numerous cans and types of beans, i like dark red kidney, light red kidney, chili beans (hot flavor), garbanzo beans, black beans. i also like to add a lot of veggies like chopped zucchini, can of corn, celery, onion, green pepper, jalepeno, i have even added a small can of sauerkraut. i like the spicy rotel tomatoes too, they add nice spice. with all of the spice, i dont use any of the chili mixes to try to lower the sodium content. it still turns out with good flavor. i like to cook mine for 8-10 hours in the slow cooker, makes it really thick and flavorful.
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot? I have the BEST chili recipe... 300 calories per serving and 16 grams of protein. It's vegetarian too, so it's super healthy.

Yes. I have a crockpot that i never use. I would love an excuse to break it out. Do tell =)
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    you can also us groung boca meat ~ it adds the texture of beef but not all the fat and calories AND because there is tons of flavor in chili, you can never notice its not the real thing. I use it in spaghetti sauce too... no one can tell :)

Love this idea!

Can't wait to try this. Thanks!
  • amyholan
    amyholan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here is the awesome chili recipe in the crock pot:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/vegetarian-chili-recipe/index.html

We counted all of the calories of all of the stuff that goes in, and it's 150cal per cup, or 300cal for two.
    Honestly, I can have a cup for lunch and be satisfied, and a cup and a 1/2 for dinner left me stuffed.
    It takes a little prep work, but then it's done and delish.

I make it at least once a week for my fiance and he LOVES it.
    It's especially good with the chopped cilantro on top, and a little low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    I freeze this is one cup portions and take it to work for lunch.

WEIGHT WATCHERS 1 POINT CHILI - 50 calories per cup
    (Makes 20 cups)

10 oz extra lean ground turkey
    1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cups of beef broth
    2 medium zucchini, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    4 celery stocks, chopped
    1 pkg chili seasoning (I use hot and spicy and it is not very hot)
    2 cans (28 oz) diced tomatoes
    1 can tomato paste

1. Saute turkey and onion in a large soup pot until browned, drain.
    2. Add vegetables, beans, seasoning, beef broth and tomato paste.
    3. Simmer until vegetables are tender (about 1-1/2 hours)
  • knotarg
    knotarg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is an awesome Salsa Chili recipe on www.eatbetteramerica.com. Ive made it both in the crock pot and in a pot on the stove, deliicious!