Wanna Be Push Up Buddies?

Options
I will be doing the 100 push up challenge. Last night I did the initial test to determine my starting point and I was able to do 12 consecutive push-ups. I will probably start tonight or tomorrow. Does anyone want to do this with me?

The routine/schedule can be found on this website:

http://hundredpushups.com/

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I started at the beginning of December, but I got off track after the semester ended.
  • KLSimpson
    Options
    I'll join in too! I started this once last year, but never finished. I'll be more motivated to finish if I'm doing it with other people!
  • NaiLo
    NaiLo Posts: 39
    Options
    I'll do this too! I can only do 15 ! lol
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Did day one today! I managed 20 in my exhaustion set - I'm relieved that I didn't lose everything I gained before I fizzled out last time. How are you guys doing?
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm in, but I know I'll have to start at the very bottom. I'll do the initial test tonight.
  • RecliningFigure
    Options
    Initial test: 8. Pretty sad, but I can only go up from here.
  • missjacki
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been checking in.

So Weds I did Week 1 day 1. I'm starting on level 3. I forgot my paper, so I was doing it from memory and did 10-12-8-8-8 with 60 second rest periods (I was supposed to do 10-12-7-7-Max).

Friday (last night) I did Week 1 Day 2 and did 10-12-8-8-13.

How are you all doing? Let's post our workouts and stats as we go along...knowing that I"ll have to post it online makes me try harder when I'm doing the "max out" portion at the end.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Week 1, Day 2. I really pushed hard and maxed out at 22 on the last set! How's everyone doing?
  • RecliningFigure
    Options
    Week 1, day 1: 6, 6, 4, 4, 8 What's that they say? - slowly but surely.
  • wakkodragon
    Options
    Im in! This is the first time I have heard of this challenge but I think it will be good to try! I am also going to try the two hundred sit up challenge. I plan on starting both tonight!
  • wakkodragon
    Options
    I did week 1 day 1 of both. Thought it might interest yall to know that if you use the "push-up logger" to enter your workout you can login through your facebook if you have one. Extra accountability and motivation!!!
  • missjacki
    Options
    Last night did W1D3: 11-15-9-9-14

I'm getting stronger...I can almost see muscles if I flex and use my imagination!
  • missjacki
    Options
    I did Week 2 Day 1 yesterday morning: 14-14-10-10-15.

That last 15 was really tough. It's a lot harder when you only get 60 seconds to rest.

Anyone else do their pushups this week?
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Gah, sorry, I had to go on a trip unexpectedly for business, I'm back on the wagon this week.
  • RecliningFigure
    Options
    Wk 1, day 1: 6, 6, 4, 4, 8
    Wk 1, day 2: 6,8,6,6,17
    Wk 1, day 3: 8.10,7,7,17
    Wk 2, day 1: 6,9,11,8,8, 20

My husband is saying that I'm not doing the pushups right. He says that my chin should touch the floor. I don't think I'll be able to do even one pushup that way. I can only go down so that my upper arm is parallel with the floor. And since that's all that I can do for now, then that what I'll do.
  • wakkodragon
    Options
    I've finished week 1 and start wk 2 p/us tomorrow
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

My husband is saying that I'm not doing the pushups right. He says that my chin should touch the floor. I don't think I'll be able to do even one pushup that way. I can only go down so that my upper arm is parallel with the floor. And since that's all that I can do for now, then that what I'll do.

I looked up proper push ups for you... Here's what I found

1. Hand placement: hands are to be placed just outside the shoulders. If you were to draw a rectangle that encompassed your body with the sides of the rectangle being the edge of your shoulders, then your hands should be just outside that. Here is a pictorial:

2. Foot placement: it says everywhere that feet are supposed to be at midline. I feel that you can have equally good form if you place your feet at shoulder width apart, i.e. within that rectangle described and drawn above. I say that because pushing your feet out actually helps you from arching your back by forcing the abs to tighten.

3. Body position: your body should be perfectly inline, from the neck to the heels, throughout the push up.

4. Head position: you have a couple of choices here. Many people suggest looking straight down. When I do that however, I end up moving my head up and down with the push up (which is incorrect - the head should be perfectly still). Another option, which is one I prefer, is to look “up” slightly. That helps focus on one point, and it also helps keepng the head from bobbing around and avoiding neck strain.

5. Top position: while in the top part of the push up, the arms should be straight, but should not be locked at the elbows. If you don’t allow the elbows to lock, the muscles will be conracting the entire time.

6. Bottom position: at minimum, you must go down until the inside portion of your elbows are 90 degrees. You may however choose to go all the way down to the floor if you would like to increase your range of motion and srength.

7. Timing: experimenting with timing, I have found that doing 40 push ups a minute is a good compromise. Ideally, you would do each push up in 4 seconds. However, when going for maximum reps, it’s not really ideal to do slow push ups. Doing very fast push ups though won’t give quite as good a pump.

After practicing the perfect push up technique, I started using rotating handles to get maximum muscle stamina from my push ups. They’re not necessary, but they sure help a great deal.

Enjoy!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options

That's extreme. At my fittest, I did pushups "military style" at my Tang Soo Do clases. That was touching your chin to the fist of someone counting your pushups. Lower than that, you'd have to be ripped. Do what you're able to do. Don't hurt yourself.
  • RecliningFigure
    Options

I looked up proper push ups for you... Here's what I found

1. Hand placement: hands are to be placed just outside the shoulders. If you were to draw a rectangle that encompassed your body with the sides of the rectangle being the edge of your shoulders, then your hands should be just outside that. Here is a pictorial:

2. Foot placement: it says everywhere that feet are supposed to be at midline. I feel that you can have equally good form if you place your feet at shoulder width apart, i.e. within that rectangle described and drawn above. I say that because pushing your feet out actually helps you from arching your back by forcing the abs to tighten.

3. Body position: your body should be perfectly inline, from the neck to the heels, throughout the push up.

4. Head position: you have a couple of choices here. Many people suggest looking straight down. When I do that however, I end up moving my head up and down with the push up (which is incorrect - the head should be perfectly still). Another option, which is one I prefer, is to look “up” slightly. That helps focus on one point, and it also helps keepng the head from bobbing around and avoiding neck strain.

5. Top position: while in the top part of the push up, the arms should be straight, but should not be locked at the elbows. If you don’t allow the elbows to lock, the muscles will be conracting the entire time.

6. Bottom position: at minimum, you must go down until the inside portion of your elbows are 90 degrees. You may however choose to go all the way down to the floor if you would like to increase your range of motion and srength.

7. Timing: experimenting with timing, I have found that doing 40 push ups a minute is a good compromise. Ideally, you would do each push up in 4 seconds. However, when going for maximum reps, it’s not really ideal to do slow push ups. Doing very fast push ups though won’t give quite as good a pump.

After practicing the perfect push up technique, I started using rotating handles to get maximum muscle stamina from my push ups. They’re not necessary, but they sure help a great deal.

Enjoy!

These are awesome recommendations. Thanks. I've never thought about the distance between my feet. I"m certainly not doing 4 sec pushups (1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, 4-1000), they're probably more like 2 sec ones. "Rotating handles?" Do you mean rotating the hands? I am so impressed with all of you, I'll get there eventually.:happy:
  • RecliningFigure
    Options

That's extreme. At my fittest, I did pushups "military style" at my Tang Soo Do clases. That was touching your chin to the fist of someone counting your pushups. Lower than that, you'd have to be ripped. Do what you're able to do. Don't hurt yourself.

Yea, I think hubby was in a mood. I just smiled, bat my eyes, and said I'll do what I can. Tang Soo Do class? What kind of class is that, martial arts?