C25K question week

Options
On Tuesday I started week 6 day 2. It was very hot outside and not sure what happened but I wasnt able to finish the run. My legs were cramping up and felt lightheaded. I have a feeling it was due to the heat because it was about 100 degrees outside. Tonight is supposed to be my week 6 day 3 which is a 22 minute run. Should I go ahead and do that run given the circumstances of tuesdays run or because i didnt finish it should i do day 2 again. I havent had to stop a run since repeating the entire 1st week over again. What do you guys think? Thanks for your input.

Replies

• LeighAnneParks
    Options
    what is c25k?
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    "Couch to 5k" program.

I would just move on to day 3. You should be just fine at that level.
  • formeandmine
    Options
    I am on day 3 of week 2 and wondering: those of you who have done/are doing c25k do you do it every other day, like it suggests? Or more frequently?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of week 2 and wondering: those of you who have done/are doing c25k do you do it every other day, like it suggests? Or more frequently?

I did the program as it's written, only running three days a week. In fact I'm still only running 3 days a week, because that's what works best for me. In fact I usually have my best runs after I've had at least two days since the last one, but I know other runners who run daily with no problems.

As far as going through the c25k program, I'd stick with how it's laid out for you - they do that to help prevent injuries, even though on some weeks, we feel like we can go farther or do more.
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options
    On Tuesday I started week 6 day 2. It was very hot outside and not sure what happened but I wasnt able to finish the run. My legs were cramping up and felt lightheaded. I have a feeling it was due to the heat because it was about 100 degrees outside. Tonight is supposed to be my week 6 day 3 which is a 22 minute run. Should I go ahead and do that run given the circumstances of tuesdays run or because i didnt finish it should i do day 2 again. I havent had to stop a run since repeating the entire 1st week over again. What do you guys think? Thanks for your input.

I would redo the day you started but didn't complete. But also make sure you are hydrated. I think that is what happened to you on your prior run.. Not having enough water in your system can do that to you.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem (with the leg cramping) on the third day of week 4. Since I didn't finish it, I did do it over (this time on a treadmill in air conditioning. Not sure how it is in week six, but I would not move on until I knew I could complete the last run. That's just me though - I also wanted to let you know I think it was the heat - I had that problem on a very hot and humid day and was trying to run in the afternoon. I had already done it in the evening a few days before and was fine. And like I said was fine doing it in the gym on the treadmill too. And I've now moved onto the next week and was fine as well.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

Personally I would do day 2 again..i like to complete each day before moving on to the next. I think that by running in such heat you have done something extraordinary..you are challenging the weather as well as the exercise it's self and in the long run i am of the firm belief that training in all conditions can only make you better. There's no shame in doing day 2 again. You could perhaps run very early at dawn when it's cooler or in the evening, also. if you are going out in fierce eat, make sure you are fully hydrated or take water with you..major pain in the you know what to carry but the alternative is to hide it en route and hope no one steals it.

youre very close to finishing the course..good luck and keep at it!
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ok so I dont have an opinion on the repeat BUT...my suggestion for the cramps and light headedness...my dad and I experience this a lot when we are working or exercising...gatorade is awesome to help out with cramps and bring up blood sugars which can cause a lightheaded feeling. If you don't want all the extra calories either buy the powdered gatorade you mix on your own or dilute it in water like 1 part gatorade 2 parts water. The electrolytes help relieve cramping. just a thought!!!
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I too am intrested in this... but I am only on week 2 day 3 so I am chimming in so I can always check back.