Mayonaise substitute

Options
I was horrified at the amount of calories mayo was adding to my daily totals just from a sandwich!! So...I tried something else. Tahini!! Home made tahini sauce. Just take 3 T tahini, a half cup of water, some lemon juice, salt, and crushed garlic if you like...mix it all up, adjust for desired consistency and voila!! 1 T of tahini sauce only has, like, 20 calories and tastes great on everything. (and its vegan)

Replies

• CLDKess
    CLDKess Posts: 40
    Options
    a nice swap for mayo as well is plain non-fat greek yogurt mixed with fresh chopped garlic and a bit of dry ranch powder...come to think of it I almost always us greek yogurt as a sub for mayo in everything.
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    a nice swap for mayo as well is plain non-fat greek yogurt mixed with fresh chopped garlic and a bit of dry ranch powder...come to think of it I almost always us greek yogurt as a sub for mayo in everything.

Yes, me too...and you can pretty much use seasoning or other veggies to make it taste different. I like getting more bang for my buck (calorie wise) I can so much more on less calories and feel great!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    Hummus is also good, so is some mashed avocado. I used mashed avocado in egg salad and tuna salad. Yum.
  • betho217
    betho217 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm plain non fat greek yogurt. I use it instead of mayo in chicken salad.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I never cared for mayo but I generally put mustard on my sandwiches. Hummus is also really good.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    They also have light mayo variations that dont taste that much different and are FAR less calories.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Avocados cut with greek yogurt???
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Well, it's clearly not mayo, but I really like my tunafish sandwiches ... and instead of mayo, use tzatziki ... it's a cucumber yogurt sauce (greek style) ... Trader Joe's has a great version that is low-cal too ... again, clearly 'not' mayo (as I love mayo) but I do enjoy my tunafish that way without complaining :)
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChocoMello
    ChocoMello Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use low cal mayo wich tastes like the real one but has only 16 cals a tbsp!
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Or you could always make your own:

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

I added the recipe on here and it comes out to 103 calories for 1 tbsp. 12g of HEALTHY fat (yes there is such a thing and it's not bad for you), and 40mg of sodium.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I use Mayo with Olive Oil if I am really wanting mayo. The flavored Skinny cow cheese wedges taste good too
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hummus is also good, so is some mashed avocado. I used mashed avocado in egg salad and tuna salad. Yum.

I use hummus on all my sandwiches
  • katbean12
    katbean12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/mayo.html

0 calorie mayo

never tried it, but i've tried their salad dressings - they are tasty, and jam is ok. their peanutbutter - not good though.
  • legaline
    legaline Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well, it's clearly not mayo, but I really like my tunafish sandwiches ... and instead of mayo, use tzatziki ... it's a cucumber yogurt sauce (greek style) ... Trader Joe's has a great version that is low-cal too ... again, clearly 'not' mayo (as I love mayo) but I do enjoy my tunafish that way without complaining :)

keeping my eye out for this, thanks!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I also use the Laughing Cow wedges. Even half a wedge (which is like 18 calories) would probably be enough for a sandwich.
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    It's left over from my vegan days, but I never liked mayo, but love veganaise
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    If I want mayo I have an Olive Oil based mayo. However, I don't eat it often and will normally use Laughing Cow Cheese and Avocado on my sandwiches. There are a few things where I HAVE to have a bit of mayo on them for taste! Tuna Salad and BLTs for example. Though I use less now!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I often use Marzetti no-fat ranch dip on my sandwiches--15 calories a tablespoon. You do have to like the "ranch" flavor though.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Calorie Wise Miracle Whip is yummy, I actually prefer it over mayo for taste.