Feel that I have lost all motivation and time.....

Options
2»

Replies

• ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Motivation has nothing to do with weight loss. You can be the most motivated person in the world to focus on your weight loss,without action, nothing happens. You can be the most unmotivated person in the world and take action. This will result in weight loss.It's about action, not motivation. You also might be taking too many credits. I wrote this on my wall a few minutes ago.

"When my friend was concerned about my weight he would say. "What? You are going to go to school all this time, get out and die in a few years." He's right. I rather get a C in a class and be thinner compared to getting an A in a class and being obese. Health and fitness improve cognitive functioning and mental performance. Don't fall in to that trap of "I can't follow my health routine because of school." Fitness > School. "
    If you're not motivated, you're likely not going to take action, so I'm not seeing what you mean here?? Without the motivation to TAKE ACTION, you're right, there is no weight loss.
  • ademiter
    Options
    Motivation has nothing to do with weight loss. You can be the most motivated person in the world to focus on your weight loss,without action, nothing happens. You can be the most unmotivated person in the world and take action. This will result in weight loss.It's about action, not motivation. You also might be taking too many credits. I wrote this on my wall a few minutes ago.

"When my friend was concerned about my weight he would say. "What? You are going to go to school all this time, get out and die in a few years." He's right. I rather get a C in a class and be thinner compared to getting an A in a class and being obese. Health and fitness improve cognitive functioning and mental performance. Don't fall in to that trap of "I can't follow my health routine because of school." Fitness > School. "
    If you're not motivated, you're likely not going to take action, so I'm not seeing what you mean here?? Without the motivation to TAKE ACTION, you're right, there is no weight loss.

I am saying, I am not always motivated to go to the gym and workout, or eat good. I know some of my friends are in the same boat. Doesn't matter, we still do it. This is mostly a negative form of motivation ff not wanting to miss our workouts, fear of not being in consistent and back tracking. Some of the most leanest people I know sometimes don't want to workout that day, but they do. I am saying people think you got to be all "pumped up" to go workout. You don't.

It's not about being motivated going to the gym, it's about being motivated to lose weight, in whatever way that might be. You have to have the drive to make it happen. Fear of not being consistent IS your motivation and that's what makes many of us pick ourselves up and head to the gym or go for that walk. Motivation doesn't necessarily mean being pumped up; it means that you are providing a motive and even slight stimulation of interest to get something done even if you don't want to do it.
  • ademiter
    Options

I am saying, I am not always motivated to go to the gym and workout, or eat good. I know some of my friends are in the same boat. Doesn't matter, we still do it. This is mostly a negative form of motivation ff not wanting to miss our workouts, fear of not being in consistent and back tracking. Some of the most leanest people I know sometimes don't want to workout that day, but they do. I am saying people think you got to be all "pumped up" to go workout. You don't.

It's not about being motivated going to the gym, it's about being motivated to lose weight, in whatever way that might be. You have to have the drive to make it happen. Fear of not being consistent IS your motivation and that's what makes many of us pick ourselves up and head to the gym or go for that walk. Motivation doesn't necessarily mean being pumped up; it means that you are providing a motive and even slight stimulation of interest to get something done even if you don't want to do it.

Yes, I know what motivation is. We're all motivated to get out of bed in the morning. I do agree with you. There are different forms of motivation. That doesn't mean other people realize this. When people think of motivation they usually think of positive motivation. The simplest form of action requires motivation. I used to read a lot of books on motivation. I could sit there, be motivated but without action, nothing would happen. I just finally realized, "it doesn't matter how i feel, I just have to do it."

You realize you just have to do it because you are MOTIVATED TO LOSE WEIGHT! Therefore, motivation can indeed equal weight loss! :P LOL You know we could go on like this for days huh?? LOL I don't think I'm helping the original poster...:(
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps to get into a routine....for example, I'm a 'muncher'. So, instead of crackers or chips with my very garlicky hummus or light asiago and artichoke dip, I grab baby carrots or cut baby cucumbers into strips. VERY low calorie and yummy snacks. I also buy a lot of packaged salads, cooked chicken breast strips, steam in the bag veggies....I can't stand the taste of plain veg, so I'll steam them and then add them to a skillet with a bit of butter and LOTS of garlic! Green beans, brocolli, etc. Plus I'm not a big fruit eater, but I'll buy the apple wedges and have a small bowl of those with a tablespoon of peanut butter to dip them into. I get to eat a lot more without sacrificing calories, and I get in some fruit and veg servings too.

Also, invest in an inexpensive crockpot. Put it together the night before and throw the insert into the fridge. Then before you get your morning started, plug it in. Easy peasy.

For exercise, can you do any of your reading/homework on an exercise bike? Maybe buy some zumba videos and have the kids dance around with you. Give them a 'kid' area and block out a 'mommy' area so you're not knocking into them. May be difficult at first, but after a while they'll know it's mommy's exercise time. There are lots of workout links on line and I'm sure you'd be able to find some that will fit into your day with kids running around. Maybe have a contest with them to see how many pushups, jumping jacks, burpees, squats, etc. that everyone can do. Set aside 30 minutes a day to do a 'family bootcamp'. Make it fun for them, and it'll be fun for you too. Both getting in some proper nutrients and a bit of exercise everyday will really help you clear your mind, climb outta that funk, and give you more energy....write down a plan that you think you'll be able to do, and commit to it for 7 days. Then, see how you feel, expand on what works, and tweak what doesn't. Baby steps. :)

Lots of easy little changes will add up to big benefits!!
  • ademiter
    Options

Yes, I know what motivation is. We're all motivated to get out of bed in the morning. I do agree with you. There are different forms of motivation. That doesn't mean other people realize this. When people think of motivation they usually think of positive motivation. The simplest form of action requires motivation. I used to read a lot of books on motivation. I could sit there, be motivated but without action, nothing would happen. I just finally realized, "it doesn't matter how i feel, I just have to do it."

You realize you just have to do it because you are MOTIVATED TO LOSE WEIGHT! Therefore, motivation can indeed equal weight loss! :P LOL You know we could go on like this for days huh?? LOL I don't think I'm helping the original poster...:(

You're saying the OP isn't motivated to lose weight? She's on MFP, and she's asking for help.why isn't she doing it?

No I'm not saying the OP isn't motivated - she said that herself in the title of this topic. I'm basically disagreeing with what you said that motivation has nothing to do with weight loss. Period.
  • SC74
    SC74 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'd suggest just trying to eat better at first. Set an alarm on your phone for however often you think you should be eating - Some poeple do 6 small meals some to 3 bigger meals, whatever works for you. Take some time the night before to get your foodage straight for the next day, so when your alarm goes off, just go grab it, bring it back and eat.

Once you're one a roll with that, then start trying to figure out how to get the workouts in. If you can't, just concentrate on eating well. Everything I've read says that losing weight is 80% diet anyway, so you should still be losing. Get up and walk when you can. Take a break and do some jumping jacks or lunges or whatever when you can.

You can figure it out. Baby steps.

Best of luck to you :)

This is great advice! Start with fixing one aspect or it will all seem too overwhelming! Good luck!
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds a little like it should be easy

1. Time - Why are you taking som many credits at once if you can not manage them
    2. Food - Make a big tupperware of salad at the begining of the week - have this for lunch with tuna, ham, or egg
    3. Snacks - Carrot sticks etc yogurt etc low fat cottage cheese buy them every week if they are there you will eat them
    4. Work out - anytime you can fit it in 10 minutes at a time - you don;t have to work out for 30 minute at a go for it to work
  • ademiter
    Options

You're saying the OP isn't motivated to lose weight? She's on MFP, and she's asking for help.why isn't she doing it?

No I'm not saying the OP isn't motivated - she said that herself in the title of this topic. I'm basically disagreeing with what you said that motivation has nothing to do with weight loss. Period.

Everything in life is related in some shape or form. There is always some correlation. Belief is also a big part as well. If you're motivated to do something lets say like win an olympic medal but have no belief you can do it,would you even try? What if you believe you can do something like pick up a pencil but had no motivation to do so? Would you even try?

My original point is too many people focus too much on motivation and not enough on action. Yes you're right, motivation does play a part in weight loss. The op is motivated to some degree, but currently isn't taking the action she wants. She's motivated to take action, that's why she made this post. Motivation without action won't get you the results you want. As I said, I do agree with what you said, "motivation does have something to do with weight loss." We can make this subject very complex. It's easier to say, "motivation has nothing to do with weight loss, it's about action." compared to "there are different types of motivation, they're tied to your belief and value (make big paragraph here) there is positive and negative motivation (add another big paragraph here).

It's sometimes easier to just keep it simple.

Soooo not following ur post but ok.

O
  • apaddock2
    apaddock2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am alays looking for motivation and encouragement and am great at giving it right back. Anyone...feel free to send me a friend request. Would love to have others to support and to support me! Anne