How often should I eat salmon?

Options
I'm a seafood addict.. I can eat a wild salmon fillet twice a day every single day and not get bored..

I'm trying to lose 20 lb. and go on the elliptical for minimum an hour now 6 days a week I also started doing a bit of weights (back and upper body just to get some more muscle to up my metabolism) ..will eating one or two baked salmon fillet almost daily (no oil, just lemon juice, pepper and seasoning) assist or should I cut down to salmon 3 times a week?

I'm asking because I'm hesitant due to the high fat content and although they are healthy fats is two fillets 18g of fat pushing it? The salmon is the only high fat food other then organic peanut butter in my weekly diet plan.

Any Thoughts? Advice?

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your macros, eat it.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I have no clue, but like you I could eat it everyday and not tire of it.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Is macros daily calorie intake?
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not going way over your macros (which it sounds like you're definitely not), don't stress it.

I eat fish about 6 out of 7 days a week usually (unless something homemade was prepared in a big batch - this week is soup). I alternate between salmon, grouper, tilapia and cod. No issues here.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options

This ^^^^
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Salmon is healthy (especially "wild"). Eat it! In my opinion, MFP has fat and protein set way too low. Eating higher in healthy fats will benefit your health and help with weight loss. If the big red numbers that appear when you go over bother you, then change your goals. I did.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I eat it once a week.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Is macros daily calorie intake?

Macros are the other tracked nutrients: Carbs, Fat, and Protein are the built in ones. The key to a healthy diet is to maintain a decent balance. MFP set you up with a pre-set ratio, but many people opt to change it through My Home > Goals > Custom. Mine are set at 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. If I could afford to eat salmon every day, I totally would, and it would probably fit within my goals just fine!
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If I could afford to eat salmon every day, I totally would, and it would probably fit within my goals just fine!

This! Damn you salmon and your price!
  • gldnlark
    gldnlark Posts: 53
    Options
    I WISH I could eat it every day! if I could, I doubt once a day would be harmful in any way. I'm supposed to be taking fish-oil pills every day (hate them!).

But yes, do mind your charts - but it appears you are doing well.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Salmon is very good for you and eating fat doesn't have an effect on losing fat; the only "problem" with fat in terms of weight loss is that it's 9 calories per gram as opposed to 4 calories per gram of carbs and protein - this means you might get to eat a little less overall if you have a good amount of fat in your diet, but it doesn't mean that having more fat is unhealthy.

If I were you, I'd set my macros to 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein and feel good about it.
  • mashekam
    Options
    Eating salmon should not be an issue.
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    I'm with you!! I could eat it twice daily if given the opportunity. Go for it!! (oh, and what time's dinner??)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is useful is many many cases. I use this rule myself.

The only concern I'd have with eating fish multiple times every day, is mercury. Levels of mercury can build up in you, and hurt you later.

Be careful :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Salmon is an excellent source of nutrients! Some studies have reported that it may reduce your chance of heart disease, and it is also good for your skin due to the natural oils and healthy fats (http://www.lef.org/). If I could afford it, I would eat salmon every day!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

^This :wink: and I eat salmon once or twice a week but mostly a variety of fish. I am lucky to find single servings of all kinds at the store, denise
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, if it fits in yur macros, enjoy it! I eat salmon three times a week. I love it and haven't grown tired of it yet...
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I want salmon for dinner now, dammit.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i have eaten salmon for dinner pretty much every night for almost two weeks. Super good for you. Eat it every day if you desire!! :)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Someone already mentioned the one concern I would have about eating a large amount of salmon regularly, the mercury content. I've read various studies on this and most agree that in a healthy adult it would take a fairly consistent diet of tainted fish to have any adverse affect. I would pay attention to the source of the salmon. I personally don't like to eat farmed fish simply because of the taste and contaminant concerns, but that is a personal choice.

Some studies have shown a steady diet of fish high in omega3 to reduce cholesterol and improve over all health.