Do you row?

Options
Last night a new feature was added to my gym. They got two new rowing machines. They look intimidating! They had a big bulletin board up with instruction for use, benefits and such but I never got a chance to use one (it was a pretty busy area last night). The gym rat guys were all over it. I'm wondering who uses them and can you tell me pros, cons and maybe tips to not hurt myself when I head to the gym tonight I want to try it out.

Replies

• Nyrehtak
    Nyrehtak Posts: 12
    Options
    Sounds like you're going to have to learn some kickboxing so you can fight past the gym rats. I'd love to try a rowing machine, but I've never come across one.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My gym has 2 and i never see anyone on them. I've rowed before and it is pretty painful but fun :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a rower at home......love it.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    All of my boats have motors on them. If I'm rowing, I'm not happy about it.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i have a concept2 rower at home and i love it. find out what kind of rower it is and go to that website for tips on posture and how to use it correctly. i know concept2 has a ton of videos with correct form and everything else. it's a great, low impact, full body workout.

two things to keep in mind - damper setting. if your rower has a damper setting, you should check this before starting each time. concept2 has a damper that goes from 1-10. people think it's like a resistance setting, but really it makes the rowers more sleek or not. a high damper setting makes it like a row boat and a low damper setting makes it like a racing skull. they usually recommend a damper setting of 3-5 for people wanting weight loss.

also - the other really important thing to keep in mind is watts, over SPM (strokes per minute). i had a friend who had a rower and she ended up selling it because she didn't feel like it really challenged her at all. it's not about how fast you go (SPM) so much, but more about how much you work (watts). so try for a SPM of 22-26, maybe up to 28 sometimes, but as high a watts as you can. i try to keep mine up towards 60 watts, but i have no idea if that is good or not. maybe i should be trying for even higher.

check out usage videos online and then go for it. you'll get the hang of it after a few minutes.
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    Thanks Rustysaurus! I'm copy/pasting that and printing it out. I'm sure I'll have no shortage of guys standing around judging (I mean critiquing...) my form though, they were all a twitter last night about making sure everyone had good posture. I'm excited now...never thought I'd get excited about a machine.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I do barbell rows, does that count?
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I"m going to have to google that...sounds intriguing.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    here are some beginning workouts from the concept2 website:

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/first-workouts
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    i have a concept2 rower at home and i love it. find out what kind of rower it is and go to that website for tips on posture and how to use it correctly. i know concept2 has a ton of videos with correct form and everything else. it's a great, low impact, full body workout.

two things to keep in mind - damper setting. if your rower has a damper setting, you should check this before starting each time. concept2 has a damper that goes from 1-10. people think it's like a resistance setting, but really it makes the rowers more sleek or not. a high damper setting makes it like a row boat and a low damper setting makes it like a racing skull. they usually recommend a damper setting of 3-5 for people wanting weight loss.

also - the other really important thing to keep in mind is watts, over SPM (strokes per minute). i had a friend who had a rower and she ended up selling it because she didn't feel like it really challenged her at all. it's not about how fast you go (SPM) so much, but more about how much you work (watts). so try for a SPM of 22-26, maybe up to 28 sometimes, but as high a watts as you can. i try to keep mine up towards 60 watts, but i have no idea if that is good or not. maybe i should be trying for even higher.

check out usage videos online and then go for it. you'll get the hang of it after a few minutes.

I have a Concept 2 as well - it is the best all body work out you can get with almost no impact. You get out of it what you put in the harder you pull (as push off with your legs) the more calaories you will burn! I use mine almost every day for a minimum of 30 minutes and cover about 5,400 meters. I agree about the damper I use 2-3.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I don't do it on a machine, but I fish out of a kayak a lot.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I use a Concept2 at my gym. Words of wisdom: Consistency is key--strong, even strokes. Try to keep your arms level--don't dip low and then up and over your knees. Don't lean back too far.
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! My boss just gave me the rest of the afternoon off so I'm off to the gym early so I can get in on "training hours" that I usually miss. I'm going to rock that boat...erm...I mean rower...
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    I row on the water in an 8.
    The concept2 machines are great. I don't have one of my own but there are about 16 at our club boathouse so I do get to use them.
    Watch the concept2 videos for technique. Slower stroke rate and excellent technique is the way to go. People think rowing is about the arms but it is mostly about legs and core.
    Watch Olympic Men's 8 YouTube videos (on water racing and off water training) for inspiration. Now those guys are fit!
    Good luck and have fun!