Does anyone else have "what's the point" days or even weeks?

Options
For a while now I've been thinking what's the point to all this diet and exercise? People tell me the point is because I'm worth it, but I don't feel worth it! I seem to feel a lot better when I'm not concentrating on when/how long/how to exercise; what/when/how much to eat; and I just accept my body.

I've been at the whole eating well/exercise thing for the last 5 years and my body hasn't changed much. I still have a huge *kitten* for my height (and largish on top so I guess I'm almost hourglass), a small waist, my stomach still has fat rolls, I'm still over 70kg and I'm no stronger or fitter than I was a year ago (just in different ways, I went from swimming/yoga to running/weights).

Sorry to be a downer, perhaps there is something wrong with me mentally, I just cannot seem to keep positive about anything lately. So what is the point of it all?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You've been with us since January and no weight loss?

Maybe try something different?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

PS: Seeing myself naked in the mirror is enough to keep me going.
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Nope, in fact there's been a 5kg weight gain since starting on here!
  • cynsbug
    cynsbug Posts: 1
    Options
    I do. Sometimes I feel like I don't really look that bad and I'm pretty healthy, active etc. I have about 25lbs to lose. I use the mobile app and have been very consistent with entering everything I eat. That accountability helps. What's motivating me now is that I am a breast cancer survivor and losing weight will be a big factor in keeping cancer from returning. The flip side of that is it is VERY hard (due to hormonal changes) to lose weight after breast cancer. On top of that, the average breast cancer patient gains about 30lbs during treatment. So I keep telling myself that I REALLY don't want to go through cancer again. But honestly, sometimes it's just hard to stick with it...I hear a potato chip calling my name!
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Variety is pretty important!

When I get demotivated, I look at other people's success stories and that helps.
  • AMANDALOU4546
    Options
    I never feel not worth it, i just feel like everything else in life gets in the way of diet and exercise sometimes... kids, spouse, work, etc..... As much as diet and exercise are important so is sleep and that seems to be what i have to do without much of in order to do it all!!
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Currently feeling the exact same way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jenjones28
    jenjones28 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Some days. But then I think about my in-laws sitting in their recliners, resigning themselves to non-activity at the age of 60 and their poor health. And I think, "oh hell no! That is not going to be me."
  • shoover10
    Options
    YES! I am going through that now. Working out, watching the food... no loss, sometimes gain. Just today I wanted to throw in the towel, and eat ice cream in front of the TV. Then I thought about it and figure that even if my weight is staying the same, the healthier habits have to be good for me, so I may as well stick with it!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    You've been with us since January and no weight loss?

Maybe try something different?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

PS: Seeing myself naked in the mirror is enough to keep me going.

Logic. ^^^
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    For a while now I've been thinking what's the point to all this diet and exercise? People tell me the point is because I'm worth it, but I don't feel worth it! I seem to feel a lot better when I'm not concentrating on when/how long/how to exercise; what/when/how much to eat; and I just accept my body.

I've been at the whole eating well/exercise thing for the last 5 years and my body hasn't changed much. I still have a huge *kitten* for my height (and largish on top so I guess I'm almost hourglass), a small waist, my stomach still has fat rolls, I'm still over 70kg and I'm no stronger or fitter than I was a year ago (just in different ways, I went from swimming/yoga to running/weights).

Sorry to be a downer, perhaps there is something wrong with me mentally, I just cannot seem to keep positive about anything lately. So what is the point of it all?

Have you considered the possibility that you might have a food intolerance? I used to have a lot of problems with my stomach and would feel blah all the time. Even when I ate well and exercised it was hard for me to lose weight. At this point my dad found out he had celiac disease. I figured why not try cutting out gluten and see what happens. What have I got to lose. Most of my stomach problems went away, I slept better and had a lot more energy, and my mood improved drastically. Since I started the gluten-free diet I've lost 50 lbs!! I always stay away from sugar and a few other foods that seem to make me feel rotten. This may not help you at all but I thought I'd share my experience on the off chance that it could help! (You could have some other kind of food intolerance too)
    Also if you haven't already done so, you should get your thyroid levels checked!
    Whatever the case, keep up the healthy lifestyle and try to stay positve! :smile:
  • annoz
    annoz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I feel you...I often think this. I have been eating well and working out for 2 months and nothing is changing.

Have you seen a doctor about this?
  • Sojaided34
    Sojaided34 Posts: 113
    Options
    I feel like this right now. Not really losing. Last year I joined the gym at 187lbs. Went 4x a week, ate healthy. Now a year later I'm 3lbs heavier. I am more active now too than before. I'm at a stand still too at what I should do or even if it's worth to keep doing. I mean I know it is but sometimes I feel like Im getting nowhere. I hope you can find something that helps you out.
  • selzam2
    selzam2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Don't give up! I've lost close to 30lbs over the past yeah and a half, and I am so proud of myself for overcoming the same lack of willpower you have when I first started. Looking at my newly fit and toned body - I'm near my goal weight of 122 lbs and am just working on losing fat and gaining muscle at this point - is so worth all the anguish I went through over the past months. It WAS a lot of work, I did NOT enjoy most of it, I DID feel like throwing in the towel multiple times... but my new health-conscious lifestyle and SELF CONFIDENCE are things I would never again trade in for my old yummy and satisfying yet unhealthy eating habits. You CAN do this and just need to find your source of motivation! For me a few hard weeks of brute willpower brought visible changes that inspired me to stay the course. Good luck!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Time to change things up and find a routine you like! Eating right can be satisfying and exercising can be fun, but it takes experimentation to find what works for you.

Also, think of what would have happened if you HADN'T been here. Probably a lot more weight gain, a lot less energy and mobility, a lot higher risk for disease. Even not having lost any, this is worth it.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    How about starting a whole new routine. If you always do the same old thing you'll always get the same results. I'm not saying you have done this as you didn't go into detail about your exercise or diet. Just chucking a few things out there. That is quite a large gain whilst being on this site if i'm honest. Do you track everything? Food AND drink? Over estimate exercise calories earned?