Knee pain from 30 Day Shred

Options
Well, I started Level 2 today and I probably should have taken a day or two of rest because my right knee is really bothering me now and its been 4 hours since I have done the routine. I notice yesterday after finishing Level 1 that I had some tightness in the back of my right Knee after sitting for a period of time so I just made sure to get up and walk or move my leg up and down at the knee just to keep it active (this seemed to make the soreness go away). I was fine this morning when I got out of bed but after doing the workout...Oh Buddy, am I feeling it in my knee!!! :frown:

I really don't want to stop doing this workout because I like it, I have modified some things along the way such as; doing standing sitll high marching in place of jump rope, and I don't let my legs go out as far on the jumping jacks, and the walk out pushups or planks I pause the DVD and do them at a slower pace for me. Also in level one I did Anita's pushups and did them at my pace as well.

Does anyone think that if I wear a knee brace that it might help? Please I am open to any suggestions.
P.S. I am 51 years old, hope I am not to old for this. :blushing:

Replies

• everlastingdream
    Options
    Haha, my knees give me a bit of bother too and I'm 20!! ;D I'd suggest taking a little break to try and rest your knee whilst it's still painful- if you continue to exercise on it whilst it's weak it'll be more liable to do some damage! If you do want to continue, a knee brace would help to support it definitely, and just take it easy when it comes to sections that are tough on your knees- I know quite a lot of the shred is dependant on them, which is why we have some bother! x
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You just need to not get too deep into the moves until your used to them a little more, and be sure to wear some nice tennis shoes it helps a lot!
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    The general consensus I have read about 30DS is that it is hard on your knees. So I had to try it myself (with a friend as well) I have a previous knee injury (years of figure skating and a car accident) and she has "good knees". Anyways, both of us were in pain afterwards, and neither of us are terribly out of shape.

There is so many things in that workout that over-extends the knee that you should really be careful that you don't do any permanent damage to the joint or tendants. Maybe to the modified moves that she suggests, and refrain from the "butt kicks".

Also, when doing your lunges make sure that your knee that is bracing your weight is not going over the tip of your foot, it seems trivial but it is SO important so that you don't over extend that knee.

I wouldn't give up on the 30DS because I have seen some amazing results from it, I would just be more mindful of the movements, and try to keep those knees protected.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and having lots of knee pain. I'm looking for ideas to strengthen them! X
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I wear a knee brace on my left leg. I pulled my mincus and LCL ligament last year....and in the 30 Day Shred there are alot of lunges and beending....so this just helps support my knee so it doesn`t hurt that much. You can get one at WalMart for under 20bucks....

As for the soreness.... by day 5 or 6 it will hurt less....just got to push through.

Good luck and great job !
  • bwishau
    bwishau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My knees hurt from the 30 Day shred as well (all those jumping jacks and jumping rope ARE a killer). I solved this by doing all that high-intensity jumping on a mini-trampoline.

Jumping jacks on a trampoline does take some practice, but I only fell off once!
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i'm just on level 1 and i'm also a bit...wary/careful/mindful of my knees during the workout. I do feel that my knees definitely get used a lot! i also try and modify the jumping jacks and do Anita's push ups too. i also plan on taking one day of rest a week and NOT doing the workout just to let everything heal a bit.

and also what i do to make sure i get rid of as much stiffness (or whatever it is) in my knees after the workout, i do a few more extra minutes of stretching after the workout is over - like the yoga position child's pose - i feel that kind of helps stretch my knees out a bit. and just general other gentle stretches for my legs (hamstring etc). because i don't feel there's enough stretching at the end - it seems very rushed/short.

and then i always have a protein shake (1 scoop of protein powder with water) about 20 minutes after doing it! :) hope this helps and just be mindful of your body. and a knee brace definitely couldn't hurt, i don't think! so give it a try! :)
  • JustSteph81
    JustSteph81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My knees were so bad, I had a day where I could barely walk. I obviously kept going when I should have stopped. It was a shame because I was getting results and I had only been going for 2 weeks. I would love to start it up again but I don't want to do any damage to myself.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and having lots of knee pain. I'm looking for ideas to strengthen them! X

My hubby has major knee problems and the orthopedic surgeon said to swim. It strengthens the leg muscles (including around the knee) without putting strain on them. We're getting a pool next week, so hopefully the Dr. was right.

To OP:
    Yes, 30 day shred is hard on your knees. I am doing ripped in 30 which so far seems a little easier on the knees. But I'd recommend trying to focus on using the leg muscles to do the exercises as much as possible (it takes more concentration) in order to take strain off your knees. Sounds silly but I've found it helps me rather than just bending the knees w/o thinking. Also, I've learned to only do the DVDs every other day.
  • Lilianna1024
    Options
    I am looking at a knee replacement. I walk 6 miles a day and my knee pain is unbearable.. I was taking vitamin D3 1000 mg a day along with Glucosamine and Chondroitin (pills) and it seams to help.. A friend just told me about Joint Juice you can get it at any food store or drug store.. It has 1500 mg of Glucosamine, 200 mgs of Chondroitin.. pluss vitamin D3 and Antioxidants it seams to be helping.. Lood Luck
  • vegas711
    vegas711 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    use Futuro Sport adj knee support. avail at CVS. did wonders for me when knees acted up
  • Lilianna1024
    Options
    I am looking at a knee replacement. I walk 6 miles a day and my knee pain is unbearable.. I was taking vitamin D3 1000 mg a day along with Glucosamine and Chondroitin (pills) and it seams to help.. A friend just told me about Joint Juice you can get it at any food store or drug store.. It has 1500 mg of Glucosamine, 200 mgs of Chondroitin.. pluss vitamin D3 and Antioxidants it seams to be helping.. Lood Luck
    Your NEVER to old..
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I also got knee pain from doing this workout. It's best to take a day off after a few days then continue with it x
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're stretching it out well enough, and take an ibuprofen and ice it after your workout to reduce inflammation. It may get better the more you do the workout, though if it doesn't I recommend taking a vitamin C supplement daily, if you don't already, as it helps to rebuild connective tissue and cartilage and reduces overall negative impact on joints. If it doesn't improve after that, then I would invest in a knee brace/support (like those tensor-type ones you can find at the store). My mom, dad and sister all have knee issues and they swear by those things, and my sister is a cheerleader so she's always putting tons of stress on her knees. If none of those things work for you, then please see a doctor. Hope this helps you!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Try working on your hip abductors. When I started running my knee started playing up. I discovered it was because I was not working on my hip abductors & that was the cause of my knee pain. It was so bad that after 7km I would be in so much pain I'd have no choice but to stop instantly & hobble home. I would be left unable to walk without screaming in pain. It was only the left knee.
    When I started working on my hips then the pain started to go away. Now I don't have the pain anymore because I have worked hard on them. Try it. http://www.livestrong.com/article/83687-hip-abduction-exercises/
  • watutalkinboutwillis
    Options
    I had knee pain in the beginning as well. I've since picked up some knee braces for added stability and some elasto-gel knee wraps for icing down my knees whenever I feel any pain or stiffness. Also, as has been said: Concentrate on getting the form correct during the squats and lunges, as well as keeping your knees soft during any of the jumping exercises. Also, it's okay to take a rest day when you need it ;)

Good Luck,
    -W
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The cause of your knee pain could be one of a multitude of reasons (or some combination).

It could be a need to strengthen the muscles that support the knees. I highly recommend the Gaiam Strong Knees video (TeaBea posted a link to it up a few posts). It's great because it will explain what muscles you are working on for each exercise and how they affect your knee, and then in later workouts you can select which exercises you want to do and in which order, and then the DVD only plays those that you selected (in the order you selected them) so you can do a very individualized workout.

Also, stretch, stretch, stretch. Frankly, I don't think Jillian Michaels does nearly enough stretching at the end of the 30DS. Too little stretching for too little time, IMO. Do extra leg stretching after doing the workout. Also -- FOAM ROLLER!! It can hurt like hell while you're doing it (the more it hurts, the more you need it). But afterwards it can feel like you are walking on new legs/knees.

If you try a supportive brace and that doesn't work -- try kinesio tape (or kinesiology tape). It's not just regular athletic tape, it's specially designed to help break up the fascia while also providing support to joints and ligaments. I've tried every kind of knee brace you can imagine and none of them helped, but the kinesio tape got rid of virtually ALL of my knee pain immediately after my chiropractor put it on. It really was like a bit of a miracle.
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice...I think I will Ice it, rest Tomorrow and get a brace because I really don't want to stop the routine. I had surprising results just from level 1.

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • wwcheapway
    Options
    READ YOU ADVISE WHERE CAN YOU GET THE kINESIO TAPE?:flowerforyou: