Eating out for dinner

Options
anivad1
anivad1 Posts: 14 Member
My mom wants to go out for dinner tonight. Any suggestions on what/where I can eat without blowing my eating plan?
P.S. I have 1,110 calories left to eat today and 400 mg of sodium ( I know I'll go over on the sodium, but I'd like to keep the remaining sodium intake to less than 1,000 if possible).

Replies

• fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have this chain, but Ruby Tuesday has a lot of great options on its menu.

http://www.rubytuesday.com/assets/menu/pdf/informational/nutrition.pdf
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread is great too. My salad today was a full size, no dressing made it 280 calories.
  • LindaS2012
    Options
    Chili's has some good options.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    It doesn't matter where you eat really. Just think healthy when you're looking over the menu. Salads are a great choice...as long as you go light on the dressing and it's mostly veggies (little to no meat/cheese). And if it's a HUGE salad (as most restaurants tend to be) only eat about half of it. Also, don't be afraid to ask if they'll cook your food a certain way for you. Last week when we went to dinner my mom ordered a breast of grilled chicken with a little seasoning and side of fresh veggies. Also, I know major chains like Chili's and Applebee's have a portion of their menu that are marked as healthy/diet friendly. So check for that as well. :)
  • MissErinPaige
    Options
    Sometimes if I am going out to a restaurant, I will look at the menu online for the nutritional content of the food. That way I get a general idea of what is "safe" and what will send me way over my calorie level.

A lot of restaurants give you 2-4x more than the regular portion size, but Like a few people said, some of the menus actually have "healthy dining" options.

Good luck and enjoy your meal :)
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I second Chilis, they have a delicious grilled chicken sandwich on wheat bread that is under 400 cals (i usually get it without the sauce too). It also comes with a side of broccoli...yum!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It would be easier if we know where you live!

Generally though, eat wherever you want, just make a smart choice once you get there.
    For me that means things like
    - ignore the bread in the table
    - no wine (or just one glass), I drink sparkling water when I'm out.
    - pick a "plain" option like grilled fish or steak, sauce on the side.
    - steamed veggies, rice, mash are good choices as sides, just watch your portions
    - maybe order an entree (starter) size rather than a main dish size meal.
    - skip or split dessert.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    Options
    Generally speaking healthy restaurant options include grilled lean protein like chicken, steamed veggies, salads with oil/vinegar dressing (instead of creamy dressing), fruits for dessert, etc. As other comments have mentioned, many restaurants offer healthy options that are usually under 400 or 500 calories. Maybe you can look of the menus online of your local favorite restaurants and find something that appeals to you? I hope you enjoy a lovely night out! :)
  • anivad1
    anivad1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your good advise on eating out healthy. I went to O'Charley's in Douglasville, GA. They don't have caloric information online, but they do serve reasonable portions. The grilled salmon is tasty and the broccoli is steamed to a perfect doneness ( not raw, but not overcooked). I got a small dessert and split it.