holy CRAP i want flan

Options
But its so caloric... any alternatives or low cal recipes out there? I'm craving that dark caramel flavor and the custard texture.

Replies

• sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Jello sugar free creme brulee pudding cups, they have a rice pudding one too. REALLY yummy, and only 60-70 calories :)
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I love flan. I am married to a Cuban so I am "forced" to make it for all special occasions. I don't know how you could make it lower calorie but like the other poster mentioned you could try some pudding type thing (I couldn't do it, I'm too used to the real thing) Good luck and if all else fails just have a small slice!!
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the US, but in the UK we have crème caramel (which doesn't have any coconut in) in pots like yoghurt in the supermarkets - they're 100-120 calories each. You could make individual servings in small ramekins, then freeze or refrigerate the rest?

The only way I can think of lowering the calories significantly would be to make it with tofu or cashews (google vegan or paleo flan and there's a lot of recipes) but that's fussy and involves a lot of ingredients.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Jello sugar free creme brulee pudding cups, they have a rice pudding one too. REALLY yummy, and only 60-70 calories :)

THIS! I love the hell out of those things. I typically eat 3 at a time though for ~210 cals :)
  • awillkies
    awillkies Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    your title made me LOL. "holy CRAP i want flan" that should be a book or movie title.