Insanity beginner

Options
So I diffidently want to get those results lol. But just to try it out I did a fat burner 20 minute video... And um #1 I can only do 3 push ups 10 pushups if I'm not being rushed. Do I just skip this part? How did anyone else begin or progress threw the workouts and he long did it take you. I dnt wanna buy 9 discs and then give up 10 minutes into the first CD... Whose got a little inspiration to spare lol.

Replies

• Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You go at your own pace completely. So if you can only do 3 push-ups in the 45-60 second time limit of the exercise then that's fine, just try to improve from week to week.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You go at your own pace completely. So if you can only do 3 push-ups in the 45-60 second time limit of the exercise then that's fine, just try to improve from week to week.

^^^What she said. Do what you can do. Just keep going. You will improve.
  • stephinpitts
    Options

That's what I recommend as well.

I also recommend doing your own warm up. Insanity does not have a proper warm up, as I'm sure you've noticed, so I strongly suggest spending a few minutes on your own before you begin the video. Get your muscles ready to go.

The last time that I did an Insanity work out, I got injured. Haven't messed with them since.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Do as many regular ones that you can during the time and when they get too tough go to your knees and do some more. You'll get stronger in due time. By the end you'll probably laugh at this post...whaaattt I can do 20 regular!!!

It's your program not the people on the screen so adjust and modify as you see fit. There's also no rule that says you can't do Insanity Round 2, 3, 4 or 5 either!

On the warm-up comment from the other poster, I tend to agree as it can seem like you just jump in with both feet. I would recommend you do the very 1st segment (or 2) at a slower pace than what they're doing. Doing this you'll get a proper warm up. After the stretching part get after it.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It helps if you stretch a little before starting.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options

That's what I recommend as well.

I also recommend doing your own warm up. Insanity does not have a proper warm up, as I'm sure you've noticed, so I strongly suggest spending a few minutes on your own before you begin the video. Get your muscles ready to go.

The last time that I did an Insanity work out, I got injured. Haven't messed with them since.

Agree with this 100%. The Insanity warm-ups are what most normal people would call a workout. Get loose before even starting the warm up.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    On my first fit test, I did zero push-up jacks. After only 2 weeks I could do 15. Now, even more. On these workouts, you do what you can do. You push yourself to do Your best. You will get better and while you will see results in your body, you will also know that you really are getting in the best shape of your life. I was an athlete in high school and was not in the shape I am now. As a coach I can't wait until to start my pre-season workouts for track to see if my athletes can keep up with me.
  • masumaj
    masumaj Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    heyy
    so ive done 3 days of insanity and then took a break to do some fun stuff but all i can tell you as a beginer is that it is hard and you have to endure the pain of the workout. i died in the warmup but pushed myself to continue, and im going to keep going

p.s you dont have to buy the discs, just google insanity tumblr gym and youve got yourself free online videos :)
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Like others said before go at your own pace, also you can make modifications but keep moving even just moving from side to side.
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yes I do tend to just dive in... I have a very addictive personality as well that's what made switching to diet/ excercise work for me. Now I couldn't eimagine not excercising . I just see so many people post before and after pictures from insanity and think wow... This needs to be me. I found that I can do a full video of tae-Bo but not even 10 minutes of a warmup from insanity :huh: I've still got about probably 3 months before I reach my goal and I don't have the money to enroll at a gym to do any weight lifting until the end of October. I don't want to lose weight and still appear unfit I wanna prove to myself that just like my stomach had the capacity to hold a 9 lb baby it has the capacity to bare a 6 pack lol.. I'm not stopping until I get there. But I really wanna try insanity and not get hurt of course deff don't wanna be out of commission for a week or two that would make me sad :sick:
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    heyy
    so ive done 3 days of insanity and then took a break to do some fun stuff but all i can tell you as a beginer is that it is hard and you have to endure the pain of the workout. i died in the warmup but pushed myself to continue, and im going to keep going

p.s you dont have to buy the discs, just google insanity tumblr gym and youve got yourself free online videos :)

You are my savior :flowerforyou: do you have the link? By any chance??
  • RobynBourgeois
    Options
    I go to a group Insanity "class" 2x per week. The instructor has my mom & I do a modified version of everything. Each time we do a bit more. I have absolutely no qualms about not being in rhythm with everyone else. I can only do what I can do & have found that each time I can do more than I did last time! Go at your own pace. Even in the infomercial Shaun T says, only do what you can do.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Do the push ups on your knees until you can do more on your toes. Keep at it. Insanity is a tough program, but you get out of it what you put into it.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    heyy

^^^^ Why do so many want to promote stealing? But yet we can't advertise on MFP?

My suggestion is to do as much as you can in the time allotted as others have stated. It's not about trying to keep up with the people in the workouts. If you could do that right off the get go, is it really a workout for you?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Keep on pushing. Do them in your time..that's what the pause button is for. When I first started ChaLEAN Extreme, I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't do one push up on my toes. All knees. And I've been working out along time (former cardio addict) and now I'm doing easy 40 push ups on certain days with P90X...at least half of them on my toes if not more (I'd actually have to go check my guide book to see how many I did the other day lol). And that was only 4 months ago that I started ChaLEAN and then went into P90X. Don't get discouraged. You won't be able to keep up in the beginning...none of us can. Use that pause button, do your best and forget the rest!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    heyy

^^^^ Why do so many want to promote stealing? But yet we can't advertise on MFP?

My suggestion is to do as much as you can in the time allotted as others have stated. It's not about trying to keep up with the people in the workouts. If you could do that right off the get go, is it really a workout for you?

Hahaha! Good point. And those "free" workouts won't always be there once Beachbody Compliance gets wind of it and gets it shut down. Happens all the time... Just buy the workout if you want it bad enough. Then you get support, a coach, the nutrition, EVERYTHING. If you want to make the change, COMMIT and do it right! There is a money-back guarantee on their products!
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My husband, daughter and I are going to be starting Insanity on September 28th. We ordered the dvd's they came today, our plan is over the next month to work on a new exercise from the dvd's everyday so that our form is decent and we have a little endurance before we actually start the 60 days.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 12 of Insanity. I have been working out again for eight months and completed a round of P90X before starting. Insanity is TOUGH. Extremely high impact, maximum heart rate stuff here. (Thus the name.) It's not for beginners, but you don't sound like a beginner. Definitely pace yourself, do what you can, and you'll see improvement every day.
  • traceepics
    Options
    I've finished Insanity and ended up icing my knees constantly and now I do have some knee pain a year later. Not to scare you, but PLEASE go slow and maybe try something less intense or something less impact. I'm in good shape.. I run, walk, and lift weights. I love chalean extreme ! I've lost 50lbs now, so maybe that would work for you. Either way ... push play and good luck. If anyone wants to add me or message me please do. I need motivation just as much as you all do!! .

I love to give tips all day long on working out and keeping life simple yet healthy.

xoxo,
    Tracee