Accurate Recipe Analyzer

Options
pmjsmom
pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
Does anyone know what the most accurate online recipe analyzer is?

I have put the exact same ingredients into 4 different ones and have come up with calories per serving ranging from a high of 176 to a low of 97! I used the ones at caloriecount, sparkpeople, a site called fitwatch and a canadian site.

I do a lot of home cooking and really need to know which one is the most accurate!

Please, does anyone know if there is a truly accurate one out there? (It doesn't even have to be a free one!)

Replies

• mattysmom
    mattysmom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use http://www.nutritiondata.com/. I've tried Sparks but I like this better. I test out sites by "faking" a recipe with 4 ingrediants like cans of veggies using the whole can so I can add it myself to test the accuracy
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and became a member at sparkrecipes.com so I could add the exact brands I was using, since sometimes they don't have the exact ones I was using. I still do checks by hand sometimes, but it's fairly accurate when I can enter my own brands.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    I have a program for my computer called "MasterCook". It wasn't real expensive -- I think it was something like $15. You input the ingredients for your recipe and it will tell you the nutritionals in it. I've heard some people really like SparkRecipes, and some don't. Guess you can give it a try and see what you think. Can't hurt, that's for sure. question - does SparkRecipes allow you to enter a food into their database?
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    That nutritiondata.com site is fantastic, it links you to all kinds of recipes, as well as giving you tools to calculate recipe calories.

I had been wondering what I could do with the first spaghetti squash I ever purchased, and I found two great recipes by following the link to epcurious.com. YUM!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • exermom
    Options
    Warning!!! OT
  • exermom
    Options
    Warning!!! OT

Don't know what happened. Looks like this posted twice.

Anyway, spaghetti squash is my new-found love. Some of that squash, a little tomato sauce, some spices...YUUUMMMMMMM
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks, everyone, fot your input. I am using the nutritiondata site for now but I am also watching some mastercook listings on ebay--some good deals there!:happy:
  • aprildh
    aprildh Posts: 90
    Options
    I also have trouble with this as I do a lot of homecooking as well. I buy very little already packed products. I found sparkspeople a little confusing so I may try the nutrition data. It's kind of scary to think you got four different calorie counts! What are we supposed to believe. Also, how do we determine a serving amount on a marinade????
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    I also have trouble with this as I do a lot of homecooking as well. I buy very little already packed products. I found sparkspeople a little confusing so I may try the nutrition data. It's kind of scary to think you got four different calorie counts! What are we supposed to believe. Also, how do we determine a serving amount on a marinade????

I found nutritiondata to be a little confusing at first but now that I've used it a few times I think I have the hang of it!
    As for your marinade question--I really don't know but the analyzer might figure it out for you!
  • mra367
    mra367 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What is the trick to using nutritiondata.com? I can only get it to see one ingredient. When I try to add another it does nothing.