searching for some diet plans to follow. Any suggestions?

Options
I need structure--any diet plans I can follow. Don’t think I could do the restrictive type, but willing to try it.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for something with specific meal plans, or lists of foods? Or just the structure of the numbers to follow, as far as total calories, protein/carbs/fat ratios?

I found this topic to be very helpful in figuring and setting my goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I'm not one who likes restrictive plans or feeling like I'm depriving myself of certain things - just makes me want them more! :tongue: Check out the thread, maybe it will help you out too.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    When I first started my diet, my doctor recommended the South Beach diet mostly because I had high BP, on the verge of diabetes and a gluten allegy. This diet fit well for me and since then, I have consulted a nutritionist that tweaked that diet specifically for me. Some diets fit better with different lifestyles, but you want to use something that you can stick to for the long haul and that isn't a crazy fad. There are no secrets to healthy sustained weight loss. Good nutrition and exercise are basic. I eat about 100grams protein, 100g carbs, and 50 g fats a day. Low sodium and lots of exercise. Check out my food diary
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for something with specific meal plans, or lists of foods? Or just the structure of the numbers to follow, as far as total calories, protein/carbs/fat ratios?

I found this topic to be very helpful in figuring and setting my goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I'm not one who likes restrictive plans or feeling like I'm depriving myself of certain things - just makes me want them more! :tongue: Check out the thread, maybe it will help you out too.

Props!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Try this: 40-30-30 carbs-protein-fat. Eat 25g of fiber per day from fruits and vegetables.

Shoot for within 5% of your macros everyday. Couldn't hardly eat an unhealthy diet if you tried doing that...
  • jenibryan
    Options
    I need structure--any diet plans I can follow. Don’t think I could do the restrictive type, but willing to try it.

It's hard to make quick changes. Try slowly cutting out any processed foods you eat and introducing more fresh veggies. Most people eat too much sugar, and while fruits are good for you, try eating less sugary fruits: eat berries and such rather than grapes or dried fruits, for example. Stay away from sodas and fruit juices. If you like the taste of juice, use the whole fruit in a smoothie with some spinach or kale added. Try substituting healthier options into favorite recipes... sauteing in water or lemon juice vs oil. Drink tea. Use natural sweeteners until you can slowly wean yourself off. The only way to stay healthy is to change your habits and that is a slow process. It isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. You can still eat things you love, just learn to make them a treat instead of the norm. Start with one healthy meal a day... a salad with spinach, kale, radishes, carrots, sunflower sprouts, any other veggies you like, add some figs, a handful of walnuts... make it as big as you want. Use a no oil dressing like balsamic with some lime juice, fresh ground pepper, good mustard. Use some dates blended up with it all to add some sweetness. And for the other meals just try to consume less. I've found that keeping an honest food diary on this site has helped me to identify my bad habits. Be thorough and record every single thing you add to your body. If you know you will have to enter it into the diary you might not eat that cookie :) You'll find your body starts to crave the healthy stuff as you eat more of it and then you are well on your way :) Hope this helps.