Question About Heels

Options
Okay, this one is for the ladies who wear heels or the men who choose to do so as well.

If you've ever walked in heels you know that if you're wearing them, especially high ones with a thin heel, it takes a little bit more effort on your part to do certain things. Such as dance or run, you have to do it a certain way or you'll teeter and fall.

My question is, since you put in more effort wearing heels than you do wearing flat shoes, does it burn more calories?

For example, I'm doing a cover of this dance and I will be wearing five inch heels, with a thin heel and a one inch platform. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmdAnrtNbp8 ) Would I burn more calories during a twenty-minute practice session in heels than I would in a twenty-minute practice session in, say, sneakers?

Replies

• AngelAtkins61
    AngelAtkins61 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    GOOD question.. no idea here though! I have not been able to wear them for a few years now :( Badly arthritic toe that is in need of a joint replacement :(
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I think the answer you're going to find is "if your heart is beating faster then you are burning calories" otherwise you're just doing resistance or strength training using your own body weight.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    yes, probably more calories burned but it's not worth worrying about.
  • Substances
    Substances Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
    Even if it is only resistance training, that still sounds good to me!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    .Calorie difference probably minimal. But you will get a nice Butt, quads (if dancing) and calves workout .
    I know mine are sore the day after and I lift weights!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I think the answer you're going to find is "if your heart is beating faster then you are burning calories" otherwise you're just doing resistance or strength training using your own body weight.
    this is how i see it too. go by your heart rate. if it's elevated more than normal walking then you're working harder.