How to undo a bad day?

Options
I have been doing a net of around 1,200 for a week (I had probably been eating around that before I joined myfitnesspal, I have lost 8lbs in a month, including 3 since I started using MFP) and today I went to my doctor and she said I was in perfect health, so I decided to let myself eat whatever I wanted for breakfast. Well... that turned into lunch, which turned into a late night snack, which turned into finishing a jar of nutella and having a slice of fudge cake, along with some other munchies. My net for today is 2,585.

I am really afraid I just completely undid my whole week with this one day. Have I?

Replies

• Esther50
    Options
    It's done, it's over. Move on.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    No. You're probably just a few hundred over what you would have needed to maintain the same weight. No tragedy.
    Some people think it's good to give your body a day off the diet as often as weekly, to keep it from thinking you're starving to death.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Forget about it
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Most people who have an overall healthy diet can have a meal or a day and have it not effect at all, that's the perks of doing all of this. Move on, treat yourself again later ( not tomorrow. lol)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    It's done, it's over. Move on.

LOL I agree with this. I netted just over 2000 for the day and I've been sticking with eating 1300 for 2 months. I think I deserved a day. I know I'll weigh more in the morning, but so what? It's from the sodium and my 'splurge.' Just go back to normal tomorrow and all is good.
  • heartofviolet
    heartofviolet Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    No.

Forget it and move on. Tomorrow's a new day.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't ... you can't erase what happened. Suck it up and move on, one day is not the end of the world
  • ukcatnip
    Options
    I agree tomorrow is a new day! Heck, last week at the state fair I tripled what my daily calories should be... I made sure to enjoy anything I wanted. And you know what? Next day, I started out with my normal routine. I had a bad day, I enjoyed it and then I went right back to what I needed to do. No shame.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Everyone's right it's nothing to worry about BUT rewarding yourself with food is never a great idea - get a massage, buy that dress you love or a fancy new water bottle or if it HAS to be a food thing buy some expensive/flash fruits & treat yourself with an exotic fruit salad :-)
  • acep07
    Options
    I do that every now and then, and some days I do it I actually weigh less the next day! I think it boosts my metabolism or something if I shock my body by eating more cals every once in a while, now if I did it everyday im sure it would be a different story
  • fragileline
    fragileline Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you think that doing a work-out (jumping jacks, jogging, etc.) at this late hour might help, or should I just forget about it?
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just forget it. Tomorrow is a new day.. if you beat yourself up it might trigger another binge.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Start again in the morning..I shall go over my calories today but I shall start again tomorrow...:flowerforyou:
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Start over!

I think for me that I have made a conscious decision to change my lifestyle, which will be a long term process as opposed to a short sharp change that I can't maintain. I am also realistic that there will be occasions where I 'over indulge', whether that be food or alcohol - in fact, what with recent weddings and birthdays, those occasions have already arisen! My long term plan is never to deny myself, but accept that there will be days like this, to enjoy them and then to move on.

Put it behind you and move forward!!
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a net of around 1,200 for a week (I had probably been eating around that before I joined myfitnesspal, I have lost 8lbs in a month, including 3 since I started using MFP) and today I went to my doctor and she said I was in perfect health, so I decided to let myself eat whatever I wanted for breakfast. Well... that turned into lunch, which turned into a late night snack, which turned into finishing a jar of nutella and having a slice of fudge cake, along with some other munchies. My net for today is 2,585.

I am really afraid I just completely undid my whole week with this one day. Have I?

I once heard this saying and I always think of it when I have a bad day - One bad day will not make you fat, the same as one day of exercise will not make you an athlete.
    Extra exercise tomorrow if it makes you feel better. One bad day is ok as long as you are not doing it everyday, don't be too hard on yourself.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Do you think that doing a work-out (jumping jacks, jogging, etc.) at this late hour might help, or should I just forget about it?
    Just forget about it. Move on, and have a good day tomorrow, and the next, and the next. It's what you do most of the time that makes a difference. You've had a deficit of about 1000 calories a day for a week, so you haven't undone that, have you? Just keep going. Successful people aren't the ones who never fall down - they're the ones that never stop getting back up. If you feel like doing some exercise, that will offset it a little, but don't get into the mindset of overeating, and then using exercise to punish yourself.
  • hiddenaudacity
    hiddenaudacity Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Commonly termed a "cheat" day is often recommended to give yourself a mental break. Some people actually encourage it as part of a weight loss program because it can kick start your metabolism at the end of a week of healthy eating.

For example, I'll eat awful (I'm talking McDonalds, 2 minute noodles, chocolate) for a day and then the next morning I'll have put on a kilo! However, I'll eat perfectly like a saint the next day and that kilo drops back off which brings me back to before the cheat day, and then more weight will slowly come off throughout the following week.

So yeah, I really feel like an over eating day can actually help with plateaus. Don't let it get to you. I'm sure 6 days worth of work wont be undone in 1 day. Make sure you eat really well tomorrow AND get a good workout in :D Let us know how you go on Monday or Tuesday.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it - move on and go back to your normal routine. That said, if you're maintaining your weight, 1200 cals would seem a bit low.....
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree, 100 times, that you need to find non-food rewards. my little rewards are nail polishes or other things that make me feel pretty regardless of my weight. (and the nail polish gives me a little task for my hands to distract me if I get the munchies!)

As for the occasional indulgence, I think those are totally appropriate, too. I had three slices of pizza the other day! But I won't do that impulsively. I plan my indulgences, log them, and fit them into at least my weekly average if not that days calorie limit. That way, I can actually have that indulgence without any guilt, and I don't have that feeling that i lost control or had a "bad" day.