weight loss breaking point...

Options
What was your breaking point? I know for years, I wanted to lose weight but could never wrap my mind around the concept. I became a yoyo dieter and tried just about everything. It took my grandmother running her gums to get my bod in motion. At first, I cried. Now, I use her words as motivation. What's your story?

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I can't really find a reason. Kinda just happened. I was bored trying to figure out how many calories was in a wawa hotdog out of all things. Kinda started to log and lost a bunch of weight. I'm kinda get like that though.
  • Wow.. 96lbs loss... CONGRATS! Did this app help you loose the 96lbs?
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    an elderly woman who has known me my whole life asked me when my baby was due. i was not pregnant. there's some brutal honesty!!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I was busting buttons and zippers on all my "fat clothes" and crying because nothing fit, and I didn't want to go purchase clothes in size 2X. Wouldn't change. I was crying about every day, had no libido b/c I was embarrassed for my husband to see and touch me. Wouldn't change. Finally, it took severe back pain and a trip to the doctor for muscle relaxers....when I weighed in at near 200 lbs. there that was IT!
  • oker673
    oker673 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I hated the way I looked in pictures, especially standing by my brother and sister.
  • bebop57
    Options
    when I ended up with diabetis and found out I have a fatty liver. scared the crap out of me.

anyone know how to adjust the widget? I have lost 20 lbs so far but it isn't on there. seeing it like this stinks lol

begining weight 216
    current 196
    goal 105 to 115
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had a dream, well a nightmare really, where I actually felt myself dying. I went through a range of emotions as I felt what my son's sorrow felt like as well. It was terrifying.

I joined my gym the very next day. That was the end of Dec. last year.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    when I ended up with diabetis and found out I have a fatty liver. scared the crap out of me.

anyone know how to adjust the widget? I have lost 20 lbs so far but it isn't on there. seeing it like this stinks lol

If you go to My Home and click Weigh In there will be an option at the bottom to edit previous entries. Click that, and at the bottom it gives the option to add a new entry. You'll be able to pick a date to use and enter your weight for that date. i just updated my today. I'd lost a few pounds before starting her, and it bothered me to not see my whole weight lost on my ticker.
  • kiltiemacbagpipes6
    Options
    Realizing that 300 lbs was only 11 lbs away. And I have a kilt. I used to wear it all the time, but it didn't fit anymore. It was really expensive and I love it a lot. Since then it fits again, but why stop here?

We all want to be healthier and feel better, but lets not kid ourselves, we all wanna look good too, right?
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    I've had the weight loss breaking point a million times in the past...just never stuck with it. This time I started with the idea to become more healthy, not to lose weight. As for what made me decide to get more healthy...it was more several things than one breaking point. Seeing my mom barely able to walk to do circulation issues was a big one (and she's skinny). Having psoriatic arthritis and having nasty hip pain and stiffness walking at only age 43. Having my BP still not controlled on three medications. Having an enlarged heart. They all contributed to my quest to be more healthy.
  • Breyna_10
    Options
    I when to the Dr.. And he suggested the lab band .......omg it click me ... So from 345 I went down to 300 and I just join MFP a week ago an I lost 3 pounds ......so determine to lose another 50 pounds..
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I need to lose so I will be around for my child. She has special needs and will not be able to care for herself anytime soon. I have tried and failed many times before. But now i have become so sensitive to dairy products that I can not eat anything, even processed foods, that have dairy. So this time maybe I will be more successful since the types of food I used to eat now make me violently ill.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've been doing karate for 13 years and never felt like I looked like a martial artist. One day after watching a whole bunch of superhero movies I decided I'd finally start working towards the body I want and started logging my food from that point on.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Wow.. 96lbs loss... CONGRATS! Did this app help you loose the 96lbs?

63 pounds of it
  • That stinks... well you're making changes :)
  • an elderly woman who has known me my whole life asked me when my baby was due. i was not pregnant. there's some brutal honesty!!
    wow!!! That's never a good feeling... looking prego isn't cute. I understand your need to change.
  • I was busting buttons and zippers on all my "fat clothes" and crying because nothing fit, and I didn't want to go purchase clothes in size 2X. Wouldn't change. I was crying about every day, had no libido b/c I was embarrassed for my husband to see and touch me. Wouldn't change. Finally, it took severe back pain and a trip to the doctor for muscle relaxers....when I weighed in at near 200 lbs. there that was IT!
    awwwwww.... I totally understand how you feel. My jeans are very tight, I'm busting a few seems myself.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I went on a trip to Chicago, and I was too fat for the seats at Wrigley Field, the planetarium, the restaurant we went to, and the turnstile at the museum. I was completely humiliated and spent most of the weekend crying and hating myself instead of having fun. He was being so nice about it, but that made me feel extra-bad because I felt like I was ruining his vacation by not being able to do anything.

A couple months later, we were at a restaurant for our two-year anniversary, and he was telling me a story about a co-worker. He said something like, "Yeah, and he's bigger than *you*, so it was extra funny." I looked at him in shock, and he got this look on his face like he knew he'd said something really stupid. I said, "Don't EVER use me as a size comparison ever again. You made me feel like a circus freak." He apologized and kissed me, but I was still upset. I got over it eventually because I know he didn't mean anything by it (it would be like me saying someone is taller than you or has darker hair than you). I just took it extra-hard because I was already upset about my weight.

In a way, I'm glad he said that. On the way home, we stopped and bought a scale. I started a blog and started following others' weight loss blogs. That was the motivation I needed, and I haven't stopped since. I'm not going to stop until I'm back to my high school weight, where I was still slightly overweight but really happy and could do whatever I wanted (roller coasters, zip lines, etc). Once I get there, I'll probably shoot for a "healthy weight" (156, the goal weight on my ticker), but honestly, I'd be okay at a size 12/14 again (170).
  • pancakemix16
    pancakemix16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctors and all my labs were borderline. She looked at me and said " You know I don't lecture you about your weight but if you don't change your diet, this time next year or sooner I will need to put you on B/P, cholesterol medicine and you will be a diabetic". Whoa that was a shock! I cried at first, than was in denial than 2 weeks later I picked myself up and started moving.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I got tired of endless searching to find clothes that fit. I got tired of worrying if the booth seat at a restaurant or theme park ride would be uncomfortable. I got tired of being the heaviest girl in my friend group. I got tired of always being the "fat bridesmaid" in every wedding I've been in, especially after I had to order a size 20 dress for the last one I was in. I got tired of never feeling comfortable enough to wear shorts in the summertime. I got embarassed that by the end of winter I was barely fitting into my winter jacket and have a brand new one from two winters ago that I've only worn twice because of the weight I'd gained. And I REALLY got tired of absolutely hating every photo taken of me. My BF and I have been together almost 2 years and there are only 3 photos of us together because I hate photos of me.

Basically I just got tired of not liking who I saw in the mirror and always feeling self conscious and uncomfortable. I was uncomfortable with me and I should LOVE me. I'm loving ME more and more with each minute of exercise and healthy food choice I make :)