Blisters... how do you stop them?

Options
I just did a 2 1/2 hour hike (first one since the winter - not crazy about hiking with the bears)... and I came home with many blisters. As I hike more on a regular basis... the blisters get better but I find that I get them when I walk for longer periods of time (an hour or more walk at a faster pace) around town etc. Doesn't anyone else experience them? Any suggestions....

PS. I do buy expensive shoes - I have Merrill hikers and Nike running shoes

Replies

• Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have issues with blisters too. I've been told to try different socks & body glide on my feet. Current blisters just went away last week & haven't had time to try either of these ideas. But I went for an impromptu 2.5mi walk last week and had a crappy pair of Keds and no socks and didn't have any issues. Usually I would get blisters with that distance.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    Just make sure your shoes fit properly is the only suggestion I have. I was in too BIG of shoes a year ago. Went in and had them measured properly at a running shoe store and found out my feet are actually smaller than what I thought.

If you're feet slosh around at all is when you'll probably see/get blisters. I have super cute pair of Croc ballet flats that give me horrible blisters when I wear them because they are a half size too big...I have wide feet and think if I had gone down a half size the shoes wouldn't have fit.

So just make sure you're in the right size/width. Also, how thick are the socks you wear when you go hiking? Wearing thicker socks might help when you hike.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Changing socks made a big difference for me. I used to get blisters all the time when walking my dog. Switching from cotton socks to wool socks made a huge difference for me. No more blisters. BTW: I prefer Smartwool brand socks.
  • countrygal02012
    countrygal02012 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This hike I used moisture wicking socks from Marks ... they are still 50% cotton. I have heard moisture wicking socks that have no cotton work well... but the store in town do no have them until ski season (sold out)... anyone try anything like that? In the winter I wear Wigwam wool socks with Patagona boots.
  • countrygal02012
    Options
    Where do you get Smartwool brand of socks from?
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Yep shoes fitting snugly is my best bet along with cotton socks. If I'm going to be doing lots where I'll sweat heaps I sometimes take a spare pair to change into.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    Most blisters happen if shoes aren't fitted correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Check the looseness of your shoes. Thicker socks, or even two pair, can help. If the shoes are still loose, try some of the products out there to help. Dr. Scholl's sells a foam tape you can put into your shoes to close the gaps that cause blisters. I've had to purchase the gel strips that go on the back inside of the shoe for some of my leather dress shoes that stretched out over time and are now too loose.
  • camelothosting
    camelothosting Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had that issue and the Podiatrist suggested a polyester blend sock,
    I got double layer with arch support and have had no more issues,

Cotton socks do not wick away moisture and they cause friction,

these are similar to the ones I got,
    http://www.holabirdsports.com/wrightsock-double-layer-fuel-low-cut-socks.html

I know that they can be had cheaper than these and they are comfortable
  • flyingpurplemonkey
    Options
    I'm not sure I have much advice to offer, but I can relate. When I first started running, it seemed like I got a new blister with each run. Then, as I continued to run, I stopped getting them. I wore the same shoes and cheap socks, didn't do anything special, didn't change up anything. So maybe the skin just gets used to it?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    BODY GLIDE FTW!!!!

(Seriously- it's a miracle product. Works for sports, uncomfortable strappy heels, nipple chafing and any other chafing you can imagine)
  • countrygal02012
    Options
    Just checked out Body Glide on the internet ... they are worth a try... and definitely different socks. Thx for all the responses.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Where do you get Smartwool brand of socks from?

I pick mine up locally at Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World. I've also bought them from Smartwool.com and Amazon.com. I mentioned Smartwool because they are my favorite but I'm sure any well fitting moisture wicking sock would help. I especially like the ones with the arch support as someone else mentioned because the arch area was where I was getting the blisters.
  • tship74
    Options
    Gold bond is good to put in shoes and socks to help with the moisture. also, a trick we did when I was in the Infantry, once you get them, use moleskin to cover them and it helps you to keep moving once you get um.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    better fitting shoes and socks, and gold bond powder.
  • Dadeenice
    Options
    Valtrex
  • KeriW626
    Options
    bandaids, pre apply.
  • Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Compeed are very good for blisters.
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,940 Member