Muscle's sore after the gym. Good, bad or meaningless?

Options
Was just pondering this morning, after waking up stiff from doing nrol4w workout yesterday, is being sore from a workout a good thing or not? Does it actually matter? I like to learn what makes the body feel a certain way so any info would be greatfully received! X

Replies

• zeedo_odeez
    Options
    It's Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

Yes, it's generally a good thing and the best thing to make it better is blood flow to the affected areas, so if you can continue excersizing, do it. If it's really too sore then a good long walk will help it feel a little better. Also a long hot soak/sauna is helpful for relieving the pain.

I always describe DOMS as a good sort of pain, a reminder you've been working hard. :-)
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i think being a little sore is a good thing. being so sore that you can't workout for a week is not such a good thing. if that is consistently happening, you might need to dial it back a little. if you lifted yesterday, hopefully you'll be sore today and then tomorrow when you're ready to lift again, you'll be okay.

did you just start lifting? if so, then that is a big part of it. after a week or two you shouldn't be quite as sore, although you may always be slightly sore after.

i was sore when i started lifting again 3 weeks ago but i haven't really been sore lately which has be wondering if i'm not lifting heavy enough. i really don't know how i can lift more than i already am. i do make a point to drink 16 oz of 1% chocolate milk after lifting. no clue if that helps with soreness or not.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I vote for meaningless, since some people don't get it ever, and I tend to only get it if I haven't worked out for a while. Currently I'm damn near uselessly sore from my first heavy legs day after a week off. I love the feeling, but I don't think it means that I killed it any more today than before I took vacation.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    i think being a little sore is a good thing. being so sore that you can't workout for a week is not such a good thing. if that is consistently happening, you might need to dial it back a little. if you lifted yesterday, hopefully you'll be sore today and then tomorrow when you're ready to lift again, you'll be okay.

did you just start lifting? if so, then that is a big part of it. after a week or two you shouldn't be quite as sore, although you may always be slightly sore after.

i was sore when i started lifting again 3 weeks ago but i haven't really been sore lately which has be wondering if i'm not lifting heavy enough. i really don't know how i can lift more than i already am. i do make a point to drink 16 oz of 1% chocolate milk after lifting. no clue if that helps with soreness or not.

I've always thought a good protein intake will help with soreness yes. I aim for at least 150g a day. I started the programme last month so yes still pretty new to it. Thanks for your reply x
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    It's a good thing, and I love it. Just make sure its soreness, and not an injury. Hard to tell the difference, but you'll learn to. I actually hate not being sore the day after, feels like I didn't work as hard, when I'm not feeling it.

DOn't let it hold you back from kicking butt today though, working out is one of the best things to do when your feeling stiff and sore. I know its easy to just say, I;ll wait to for the soreness to go away, but believe me yor feel better after doing something.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Ive been sore after exercising for last 3wks... But I am doing some pretty harsh workouts and my muscles just arent used to it
    im not quite as sore this morning so I must be doing something right
  • Jeffsimpson
    Options
    ... is being sore from a workout a good thing or not? Does it actually matter? I like to learn what makes the body feel a certain way so any info would be greatfully received! X

Short answer: Soreness is never good. It means different things, but I workout to be at my best at all times. I don't workout so I can't be at my best during other activities because I'm too sore.

Longer answer... When you start a new program, a new phase, or just start working out in general, your body is going through a shock period where you are probably going to be sore for a week or so. After that though, that feeling should gradually decrease. To be honest, who wants to be sore. Seriously? Lots of people say that soreness is necessary to indicate you had a "good workout". I would much prefer to look at my training log to determine how good of a workout it was, and happily go on with my day being able to walk up and down steps and lift my hands above my shoulders.

There are obviously going to be different levels of soreness. If you wake up the next day and your hamstrings are a little stiff, or your shoulders are a little tight, that's one thing. This is the type of soreness that you can push through, and it should go away after a few minutes of stretching or warming up. After that, it should be gone.

For actual pain (i.e. You are sitting in a chair and your biceps are throbbing, or you have lost the ability to lift your hands over your head) that's a completely different thing. This could be a sign of an injury (i.e. pulled muscle) or it could simply be that the body has not yet recovered from the micro-tears that occurred in the muscle during your last lifting session. In either event, REST is what is needed. This is nothing something you push through. Your body grows and gets strong while you rest, not while you are actually lifting the weight. So if you continue to push through as your body is trying to heal itself, you are simply going to slow down your growth. Think of it like a scab you get a day or two after you get a cut. Leave it alone, and it heals pretty quickly. If you keep picking at, causing the cut to reopen and bleed, it will reform but it's going to take much much longer.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It's just general soreness. Nothing really bad. Just feel a bit stiff. I was more just interested in other people POV as to if it meant much or not. I only lift 3 days a week so never hit the gym when I'm sore.