Protein bars?? Help

Options
Hello!
I'm new to the weight loss/healthy lifestyle thing, so I don't know a lot about it but I was hoping someone could help me!
I've been eating my calories most days but I've noticed I rarely get close to getting enough protein. I don't have a lot of money so I can't afford to have meat everyday, so I was wondering about protein bars? I've never really thought about them because I thought they were just for people who wanted to gain weight and muscle. Are they any good? Do they up your protein intake by much? And if so can anyone recommend any that are available in Australia?
Thanks!!

Replies

• AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about almonds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, they are a great protein
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    protein powder (whey protein) is inexpensive, and way better protein for your buck than in a bar. make a protein shake. You can make them super delicious - to where they're more like a milkshake/treat than something nutritious! :)
  • shepar79
    shepar79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try eggs and tuna. Super cheap and lots of great ways to make em!!!
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Im trying to up my protein as it's been low during the calorie deficit I'm on whilst I lose weight. I recently saw this vid on youtube on how to make your own protein bars with Quinoa. Looks simple enough to make and you'll know 100% whats in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekpLSa9I8tw

^ The video looks like it was filmed on a potatoe but it does the job. I might try and make some this weekend.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    egg whites
  • rainbowroe
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!! Lots of great (and cheap!) ideas! :D
  • rainbowroe
    Options
    PS: I love the community on MFP. Everyone is SO friendly, nice, helpful and supportive! Thanks again guys :)
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When I need to supplement protein (read: every day) I go with Optimum Nutrition's Extreme Milk Chocolate whey isolate, 2 scoops in 2 cups skim milk. If I need just about 20 more, I eat a Quest Bar, which has the best tasting flavors (love the brownie), while also having the best calories to carb to protein ratio. I think of the 24 grams of carbs in my bar, 19 of them are fiber, leaving only 5 grams active carbs. Most other bars are either poor protein sources (non isolate whey, or soy, or milk protein), have waaaaay too much sugar, or too many calories. Only downside is their price, at something around $2 per.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    protein powder (whey protein) is inexpensive, and way better protein for your buck than in a bar. make a protein shake. You can make them super delicious - to where they're more like a milkshake/treat than something nutritious! :)

I agree with this. I supplement with protein shakes, but rarely get the bars. Lower calorie/ low carb protein shakes are they best (IMO) and are around 100 calories for 20 grams of protein, with less than 5 grams of fat, carbs, and sugars. Most protein bars are going to be 200+ calories for 20ish grams of protein and have tons more added fat, carbs, sugars, and a whole lot of other unnecessary crap. Protein powder is also quite a bit cheaper and is actually pretty versatile. I use vanilla protein powder for everything, including microwave protein "muffins," protein pancakes, and all sorts of protein smoothies/ shakes. Dashingdish.com has some amazing protein shake recipes.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    protein bars are going to be more expensive per gram of protein than powder would be or eggs, chicken, or tofu. I wouldn't turn to protein bars if you're on a tight budget.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Agreed.

On a side note, you don't have to have meat every day. Greek yogurt, nuts/beans/seeds, eggs, tuna, milk/cheese - substitute some of your low protein foods for high protein foods.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Greetings ..I won't repeat the advice about bars and whey protein ...was solid.

I had to once again chucke at the idea that protein only comes from meat. I'm not vegetarian, just not a huge meat lover. I get plenty of protein. I only use whey protein for after workout smoothies . Meaning, I don't depend on it to get my protein in. Egg whites, eggs, tuna, low fat cheeses, plain Greek yogurt, seeds, nuts, and a variety of plant based protein. easy to educate yourself on protein. I think everyone has a budget ..it comes down to smart shopping and "crowding out". Example ...I don't buy soda, packaged processed foods, don't eat fast food. Many folks routinely have these items in their budget. Buy them without thinking that yes ...is dipping into the food budget. Anyhoooo ....here is a blog site to get u started thinking about plant based protein. http://happyherbivore.com/2012/02/plant-based-protein-sources/

Have a great day!!

Jen
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    I use whey protein with almond milk. It is a great band for your buck :)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I prefer lean meat over powder. Get some 99% ground turkey and cook it up in taco seasoning and mix with fat free cottage cheese and microwave it. About the same macros as powder and it's solid food that fills you up.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Inexpensive protein bars are Nature Valley 10gms protein. I also like Luna bars for women. Blueberry Bliss and Lemon are greatbut are $1piece. Eggs and inexpensive light string cheese and cottage cheese and greek yogurt. All good sources.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I go on a high-protein diet for a week or two. I eat a chicken breast with a salad at night, but during the day I drink two meal replacement shakes. I like Labrada Lean Body for Her in Ice Cream Vanilla.

A 20-packet box was about $40 on Amazon, so it's comparable to a protein bar unless you're getting a great discount. I find this drink more filling than a protein bar. The instructions say to add 8 ounces of water, but I add as much as 16 ounces. I drop in some ice cubes and blend. It's a thinner drink, but there's more of it that way and I find it more satisfying. It's best made with a blender. I tried a blender bottle and it was insufficient. I bought a cheap personal blender, which works fine.
  • kady42
    kady42 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley has new Protein bars that are delicious, and made mostly out of real food. (I don't like the protein bars that taste like paste. The Nature Valley ones taste like peanuts and chocolate.)

I also use EAS Whey powder, and it's not terribly expensive.

But, if you're looking for inexpensive protein, beans would be my number one with a bullet. If you're willing to do the work of using dried ones, they're *crazy* cheap, and even canned ones are not bad (though they tend to be a bit high in sodium).

Another good source is Greek Yogurt. If you keep an eye out for coupons, and/or buy the bigger containers, that's not too expensive, and you can mix it into all kinds of things. Ditto Cotttage or Ricotta cheese, if you like them. (You can get the "Light" to decrease fat.)

Also, if there's one thing I've noticed about successful weight loss, it's that you *can't* skimp on protein. Protein + fiber will fill you up for a good long time.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in on what everyone else is saying, protein powder is the way to go. However, I do occassionally splurg and purchase a box of Deutor bars from Costco. There are $20 per box for a variety box of 24. They are around 170 calories and 15g of protein per bar.

I use these as a convenience to take along with me after a long workout when I know it may be a while before I'm able to have a good nutrient meal.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people want to drink calories while on a calorie deficit?