RUNNING.....FOR BEGINNERS

Options
Ok so I have been walking but I'm ready to start running/jogging but am having difficulties starting. How do I start.
I tried I get out of breath real real quick and I here the felling of not being able to breath. Does anyone has any suggestions on hohow to breath while running. Thank you.:happy:

Replies

• morty1966
    morty1966 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi there, there are some excellent programmes out there to help you. I used the couch to 5k iPhone app. It helps you go from walking to running for 30 mins over 9 weeks and it is excellent. You can download a free podcast on the NHS website if you search c25k and nhs. Or go to runnersworld and look at their plans.

If that is not for you then the key is to slow down. You may feel like you are hardly running, but you want to build up your staminer first. Speed comes later. Set time targets, say run for 90 seconds with 60 seconds of walking I between, and each week make the running longer.

Hope that helps.
  • boostnerd
    Options
    Start running and your body will tell you how to breath. This is coming from a recovering smoker. lol

So what you want to do is start walking 30 minutes or so a day, and then start adding lets say a 10 second run in there a couple of times in the middle. If that is comfortable then add more intervals. The goal is to make some kind of progress every run. Sometimes it will be longer intervals, sometimes the walk/run will cover more miles. Keep working at it. You will get better.
  • skessa
    Options
    yes, it's easier to learn running by alternating between running (slowly, as slowly as you need to) and walking. In the beginning the walks will be longer (time wise) then the runs, and then gradually you change it around, until you can run for 15 minutes. Once you're there, you can run an hour as well. :wink:
    What's also important is that you really have the right shoes - like, when I'm wearing hiking boots I'm getting totally out of breath just trying to catch a bus. Now I don't think you tried running in hiking boots, of course, but even a minor "doesn't fit right" will disturb the movement and make it so much harder, and less healthy.
  • gregre04
    Options
    Start running and your body will tell you how to breath. This is coming from a recovering smoker. lol

So what you want to do is start walking 30 minutes or so a day, and then start adding lets say a 10 second run in there a couple of times in the middle. If that is comfortable then add more intervals. The goal is to make some kind of progress every run. Sometimes it will be longer intervals, sometimes the walk/run will cover more miles. Keep working at it. You will get better.
    I have to agree with you. I could only do a few seconds of jogging at a time and I am slowly building that up a minute, It takes time
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that I have just started running. At first my experience was just what you described,so I did look at C25K. The problem with this program for me was that it was too much of a step backwards in my cardio workout ((I have been pretty aggressive on the treadmill and elliptical). There is another program I looked at How to Run a Mile in 4 Week, it looked good, but still not the distance I wanted.

Finally my research gave me the answer, I was simply going too fast. o I have slowed don my run and pushed myself ans did 3 miles this last week, straight jogging. Now speed wise I only went 4.5 MPH, but I can improve on that. The most useful tip I have found is run at a pace that you can talk at (do not let yourself get out of breath). This will give you the ability to go longer and have better form.

Good luck.
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Most people are writing, it takes time.... amen to that and yes it does! Start slowly... make sure you stretch before and after every single time.... and maybe a suggestion.... I do five days of training it doesnt matter if it is consecutive but this is my schedule. 1st day i do what is called the LSD or long slow distance (run or jog)... my trainer told me to start with 3 miles. After I stopped laughing, I started at a 1/2 mile. (now I am up to a mile and a half) the second day i walk at a fast comfortable pace, for 5 minutes then up it by one for one minute, if you are not on a treadmill simply make that your one minute of running. do this 4 times. the third day is another LSD, do the same distance you have been doing. the fourth day is "hill" climbing. On a treadmill, you would start with an incline of one and a fast pace (I still walk) after 5 min up the incline by 2 and decrease the speed by .5 do this 4 times, uping the incline by 2 each time and decreasing your speed by .5 if you do not have a treadmill and are outside, just find some hills baby...... and the 5th day is another lsd. the next week, increase your LSD distance by.25 or .50 if it takes you 8 days to do this 5 part routine that is okay.... just think of each 5 section routine as a week, and increase your running distance each week. Oh and ALWAYS 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down.....
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    Exactly what others have said - start with small bursts and you'll be surprised how quickly you improve.

Realise that you will have down or off days when it feels like your butt is a 10 tonne weight that you cannot possibly lug around for more than 1 second. This is normal and it DOES get easier... even fun. The high you will get when you accomplish a time or distance you didn't think you were capable of is soooooo worth it so just keep at it!! Good luck:smile:
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    P.S and if you're like me and jog in constant fear that you run so slow somebody walking will overtake you ... don't worry, it hasn't happened to me yet and I have gotta be one of the slowest runners on the planet!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're getting out of breath slow down.

It takes time to build endurance, especially if you've been inactive for a while. Be patient with yourself in terms of times and distance and build up slowly. Personally I started with just walking, then added short, slow runs (maybe a minute to begin with) followed by walking breaks. (When I started out I could barely run around the block with feeling like I was going to die.....) Over time the running intervals got longer and the walking breaks shorter.... I ran my first 5K in September 2009 and my third half marathon last May.

Listen to your body and have fun!

PS If you haven't done so already get yourself a good pair of running shoes (go to a running specialty shop not a big box store), your body will thank you.
  • vcttr
    Options
    I was exactly where you were when I first started running about 6 years ago - I hated sport at school and the thought of running made me go cold!

I started by running for 1 minute, then walking for 5. Try to do this at least 4 times, then increase to 5 so you're on the move for 30 minutes.

Once you're happy with this (after 3/4 sessions but more or less if that is what your body is telling you), then try running for 2 minutes, walking for 4. Increase until you're running for 30 mins - you'll be surprised at how quickly you manage to do it! Once you can run for 30 minutes, you'll be well on your way - then you start increasing time or trying to get faster!!! Its addictive though!!!

PS I use "run" in the loosest sense - really I'm jogging but I don't care, it keeps me fit and keeps the weight down!!!
    Good luck - you can do it!
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Tip no. 1 dont run faster than you can talk normally. So take a friend and chat while going for a run. It may be slow but everyone started that way. If you are struggling for breath slow down.

Tip no. 2 start with a short run 20mins max. 1min walk/ 1min run. Or if you live in the city walk/run between lamposts. Every week extend the run to 1.5 or 2mins to every 1 min walk. It won't take long before you are running outside for 20mins.

Tip no. 3 don't run inside if you can help it. You will burn more calories outside than in. If you are scared that people will watch you or feel self conscious- wear a baseball cap and stick some headphones in. Pretend to be invisible and no one can see you panting away and red faced :happy:

Tip no.4 just get out and enjoy yourself. There will be good days and bad but running is better than not running at all. There is nothing more that running around in the woods, trying to stay upright, not tripping over tree roots, mud, puddles etc.

Oh and always smile and nod to the runners going past. You never see an unhappy runner (unless they are being chased by a dog!)

I started that way and ending up running in the mountains/ attempt ultra races etc and I am not a fast runner. You don't have to be like Bolt and start off sprinting or have a body like Paula Radcliffe, just get your trainers on and have fun

Good luck
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This is a damn good Topic and good sensible answers!! Bump!!
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I just started the NHS C25K podcasts and heartily recommend them. I used to do a fair bit of running but 30 kg heavier (and I was no feather then) I'd rather be safe than sorry so am starting from scratch. So far really enjoyable and, in my opinion, quite easy. I can easily complete the podcast when giving a solid effort in the running.

I get additional motivation from my Nike+ thing, it gives me pretty charts and stuff to see how I am improving!
  • JCKKB374
    JCKKB374 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OK ready for this? I went to the gym. It was only 30 minutes (I usually do at least 60!) but I had my daughter with me and she wants to start slow. (NOTE TO SELF....next time TAKE TWO CARS!) Anywyay....I warmed up on the elliptical for 10 minutes...and then I hit the treadmill....where I walked for 3 minutes and then JOGGED (yes, JOGGED) for between 1-2 minutes!!! I can jog for 2 minutes in a row!! (That sounds sad, I know, but its 2 MINUTES IN A ROW!!) Anyway, in 20 minutes on the treadmill I JOGGED a total of 8 minutes!!!!! Sometimes I had to jog for 1 minute, walk for 2 minutes, etc....but I jogged for 8 MINUTES this morning!!! And I am still standing!!! :) This 51 year old 211 lb woman was JOGGING folks!! Thanks for the great info here!!! :)
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When I started with the couch to 5k I quickly found out it was too hard for me at that time. Knees couldn't handle the impact.
    So, after a recovery period I was back to running. With a strict schedule from my PT

5 min walk - 1 min run

And it's worked.

Another tip from the PT: Don't run too slow. Yes, you'll make it through the exercise longer, but your form is better if you go a bit faster. You'll land on the right part of your foot more easily, you'll use your arms more easily in the right way.

I'm now running faster in the build up period than I've ever done before. I've been overtaken by old women walking their dogs that's how slow I was. But still faster than anyone that stayed at home sitting on the couch.

So slowly build up, and try to find some video's on youtube about form, that'll help prevent injuries.
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You're doing great sis
  • mzscorpio5150
    Options
    _:wink: thank u everyone. All great suggestions. Cant wait to start running
  • Tardisqueen
    Options
    If you have an iPhone get a "couch to 5K" app. I took up running 6 weeks ago. I am 4 stone overweight and very unfit. This app is perfect for complete beginners. On my last run yesterday I ran 5 minutes, walked 3 mins, ran 8 mins(!) walked 3 mins and ran 5 mins. If you had told me 6 weeks ago I would be able to do that I would not have believed it. I am feeling great and I am really loving running, something which I have never liked doing before. It starts off with something like 6 lots of 1 minute runs with a 1 minute break in between each, which feels difficult but is do-able. Good luck and if you want to add me as a friend I'd be happy for us to motivate each other.
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    OK ready for this? I went to the gym. It was only 30 minutes (I usually do at least 60!) but I had my daughter with me and she wants to start slow. (NOTE TO SELF....next time TAKE TWO CARS!) Anywyay....I warmed up on the elliptical for 10 minutes...and then I hit the treadmill....where I walked for 3 minutes and then JOGGED (yes, JOGGED) for between 1-2 minutes!!! I can jog for 2 minutes in a row!! (That sounds sad, I know, but its 2 MINUTES IN A ROW!!) Anyway, in 20 minutes on the treadmill I JOGGED a total of 8 minutes!!!!! Sometimes I had to jog for 1 minute, walk for 2 minutes, etc....but I jogged for 8 MINUTES this morning!!! And I am still standing!!! :) This 51 year old 211 lb woman was JOGGING folks!! Thanks for the great info here!!! :)

I love this post it just made my day! Be so proud of yourself!!! :flowerforyou:
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I haven't started running yet, but when I start, I do not want to start with c25k. There, Week1 Day 1 is also very difficult. I'd start by walking 30 mins, then I'll go through levels like this -

1) have 4x15 sec jogs, (in 30 min walk)
    2) have 7 x 15 sec jogs (in 30 min walk
    3) have 10 x 15 sec jogs
    4) have 10 x 25 sec jogs
    5) have 10 x 40 sec jogs
    6) have 10 x 60 sec jogs

This, level 6 equals Week1 Day 1 of c25k!. There would be 6 levels x 5 days per level = 30 days of PRE-training before start c25k. Sounds weird, but the first day itself is tough for me.

Just my opinion.