PLATEAU's SUCK

Options
That is all :(

Replies

• schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    will eating a lot of fruit at night, but still within your calories, make you stall? I just don't know if I should start keeping my carbs low to no in the evening, and focusing on fruit etc earlier in the day. I DO like fruit for dessert after meals.. :( could be worse I suppose. I hate this plateauing thing. I had a bad weekend last weekend but ate good before and good after, so I should have seen SOMETHING. the calorie equation on either side, negates the high calorie day or 2. i.e., the math isnt' working out. Stupid non-scientific/non-logical/nonsensical results!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    will eating a lot of fruit at night, but still within your calories, make you stall?

no.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    will eating a lot of fruit at night, but still within your calories, make you stall?

no.

^ This

How long has this 'plateau' been going for?
    Did you weigh in this morning? Because yesterday you logging over 4k mg of sodium. Don't know about anyone else but sodium causes me to retain water so I try to keep mine around 1500mg a day.
  • schustc
    Options

no.

whew. ok. :( i didn't THINK so. I'm in that desperation stage where I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. And, aside from those 2 days of high calories - which doesn't negate 2 weeks of good eating - well :( I'm grasping at straws. All the things you hear, Don't eat fruit at night, don't eat carbs after xyz time, etc etc..

I have been doing weights with a trainer for 5 months, and while i have added 2 new exercises this week (bench presses and Tricep extensions) nothing else has really changed with my exercise routine. I had a lot of sodium yesterday - BUT - i tend to overdue that anyhow so it's not something that I would expect to make a big difference. Stupid scale. I should go back to bed (got up to early and probably need more rest so I'm not cranky today) lol... thank you ....
  • schustc
    Options

no.

^ This

How long has this 'plateau' been going for?
    Did you weigh in this morning? Because yesterday you logging over 4k mg of sodium. Don't know about anyone else but sodium causes me to retain water so I try to keep mine around 1500mg a day.

yes, you are right... i knew I was high, but, I didn't realize it was that high. Significantly higher than usual. *sigh*. I love turkey breast. I guess I'm going to have to find a brand that is lower in sodium, because, that is just crazy. I also love cottage cheese, and it's so healthy for you, but again, the sodium is a killer. fudge.

Thank you :(
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yes they do.
  • dishwashermonkey
    Options
    Couldn't agree more.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    All the things you hear, Don't eat fruit at night, don't eat carbs after xyz time, etc etc..

Moscience. Consider everything something perpetually overweight mothers tell each other outside the school gates unless you've read something to back up the advice.

I eat most of my carbs after 9pm. I eat breakfast like a pauper, lunch like a prince, dinner like a king. Sometimes, I eat loads of carbs. Sometimes, I eat very few carbs. I look in the mirror and see the body of someone half my age. What now for everything everyone is telling you?

As for your plateau, you appear to be eating at a mild decifit (or are you under-eating?), you're lifting weights... are you doing any cardio? We have very little info eg age, size, sex. As far as I can tell, you're a 40 year old robot from a galaxy far, far away.

WRT exercise, I've found doing HIIT and not eating stupid diets the best way of avoiding and/or smashing through plateaus.
  • schustc
    Options
    All the things you hear, Don't eat fruit at night, don't eat carbs after xyz time, etc etc..

Moscience. Consider everything something perpetually overweight mothers tell each other outside the school gates unless you've read something to back up the advice.

I eat most of my carbs after 9pm. I eat breakfast like a pauper, lunch like a prince, dinner like a king. Sometimes, I eat loads of carbs. Sometimes, I eat very few carbs. I look in the mirror and see the body of someone half my age. What now for everything everyone is telling you?

As for your plateau, you appear to be eating at a mild decifit (or are you under-eating?), you're lifting weights... are you doing any cardio? We have very little info eg age, size, sex. As far as I can tell, you're a 40 year old robot from a galaxy far, far away.

WRT exercise, I've found doing HIIT and not eating stupid diets the best way of avoiding and/or smashing through plateaus.

Well, I am 43, female, I work out 3x a week with a trainer, I've lost 44 lbs in about 5 months (the bulk of which came off in the first 3 -3.5 months.

I had gotten away from my cardio over the past few weeks (except the little i did with my trainer) - as for deficit, I'm eating at about 700 deficit on average per day which should get me a GOOD 1 lb per week loss, more if I get better with my cardio. I had 2 days in the past 14 that were rather high days, but, 700 x 12 = 8400 deficit, minus about a 2000 surplus on one of those days, still gets me well over a pound to a pound and a half i SHOULD be down. not the .5 I am up as of this morning :( stupid scale. allowing for possible water retention, I'll see what happens tomorrow but this is just frustrating.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Well, I am 43, female, I work out 3x a week with a trainer, I've lost 44 lbs in about 5 months (the bulk of which came off in the first 3 -3.5 months.

I had gotten away from my cardio over the past few weeks (except the little i did with my trainer) - as for deficit, I'm eating at about 700 deficit on average per day which should get me a GOOD 1 lb per week loss, more if I get better with my cardio. I had 2 days in the past 14 that were rather high days, but, 700 x 12 = 8400 deficit, minus about a 2000 surplus on one of those days, still gets me well over a pound to a pound and a half i SHOULD be down. not the .5 I am up as of this morning :( stupid scale. allowing for possible water retention, I'll see what happens tomorrow but this is just frustrating.

Ah, so dramatically under what you need to eat then. Plateaus will happen when you do this. The initial weight loss is great but the body ****s itself. If I were in your situation, I'd aim for 1700-1900 and expect to lose very little but lose it steadily. What will run out when you're doing this is your patience. But this is about a lifestyle change, right?

Also, try this HIIT routine. I call it B28 because every great routine needs a curious name, right?

Train every day!

5 minutes to warm up - jog on the spot or dance to favourite uptempo music

Easy/Non-weighted: 10 reps, 10s rest, 4 sets. (Every week, add another 2 sets) (If fit, do 10 sets every day.)
    1/Press ups - on knees if unable to do proper press ups
    2/Side Bends - stand upright, feet 12 inches apart, bend down to touch left foot with both hands, return to upright position, bend to touch right foot with both hands
    3/Jump Squats - start in squatting position with hips below knees, jump up
    4/Side jumping - feet together, jump to left, jump back to right
    5/Lunges - step forward with just left leg, bend so knee close to the ground, return, then for right leg
    6/Mountain climbers - in press up position, right leg straight, bring left foot forwards, keep hands on floor, "jump" into air and swap feet so right foot is forwards and left leg is straight, reverse feet position.
    7/Star jumps - feet together, hands by sides, jump and land with feet apart, hands in the air.

5 minutes cool down, gently stretch various muscles.

If you find you still have energy, do another set.

Let me know when you find it easy and I'll post a tougher routine.

I'm no professional so you do this at your own risk. If your head falls off or you grow hooves, that is your own problem and you accept this before starting.
  • PancakesAreEvil
    Options
    I just came here to say that I agree on your topic title. :))
  • SailorStevens
    Options
    You wrote...
    PLATEAUS SUCK

No they don't
    You may want to look at this from a different perspective...
    Think of it as your body needs a rest.
    Too much weight loss, too fast, and your body could spin out of control causing all kinds of problems.
    Your body might be saying to you that it needs to rest for a bit.
    Don't try to push it by eating less and Don't try to confuse it by eating more.
    Just keep on tract with your diet and when your body has finished its "Rest", it will kick back in again.
    Hang tight...
  • schustc
    Options

Ah, so dramatically under what you need to eat then. Plateaus will happen when you do this. The initial weight loss is great but the body ****s itself. If I were in your situation, I'd aim for 1700-1900 and expect to lose very little but lose it steadily. What will run out when you're doing this is your patience. But this is about a lifestyle change, right?

Also, try this HIIT routine. I call it B28 because every great routine needs a curious name, right?

Train every day!

5 minutes to warm up - jog on the spot or dance to favourite uptempo music

Easy/Non-weighted: 10 reps, 10s rest, 4 sets. (Every week, add another 2 sets) (If fit, do 10 sets every day.)
    2/Side Bends - stand upright, feet 12 inches apart, bend down to touch left foot with both hands, return to upright position, bend to touch right foot with both hands
    3/Jump Squats - start in squatting position with hips below knees, jump up
    4/Side jumping - feet together, jump to left, jump back to right
    5/Lunges - step forward with just left leg, bend so knee close to the ground, return, then for right leg
    6/Mountain climbers - in press up position, right leg straight, bring left foot forwards, keep hands on floor, "jump" into air and swap feet so right foot is forwards and left leg is straight, reverse feet position.
    7/Star jumps - feet together, hands by sides, jump and land with feet apart, hands in the air.

5 minutes cool down, gently stretch various muscles.

If you find you still have energy, do another set.

Let me know when you find it easy and I'll post a tougher routine.

I'm no professional so you do this at your own risk. If your head falls off or you grow hooves, that is your own problem and you accept this before starting.

I GREATLY appreciate this - I do - I don't know if I can do this however. I have bad knees. I have been working with my trainer for 5 months and he just started me doing regular squats, my knees crack and crunch the whole way down. (I started off doing ball squats, sitting on a exercise ball and standing up- to build up my knees to get to real squats) I hurt one of my knees doing step aerobics oh so many years ago when it was popular. Then carried over 100 extra pounds for over 15 years, they don't like me much anymore. I'm down from 268 to 224, but they're not ready I don't think for High Impact to this degree. I'm trying to incorporate running, but am trying to moderate this to keep my knees from suffering too much.

I'm totally open to something that won't involve straining my knees too much - is that possible with the HIIT? or can I incorporate some running/walking type of thing to make it HIIT? :( You've no idea how much I'd LOVE to do what you have written, but I know it would probably cause me issues and end up in not exercising for a week because my knees get irritated.. (lunges, jumps, squats are pretty much out - I am just starting squats with the trainer so will be easing in on those with him)

thank you!
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I GREATLY appreciate this - I do - I don't know if I can do this however. I have bad knees. I have been working with my trainer for 5 months and he just started me doing regular squats, my knees crack and crunch the whole way down. (I started off doing ball squats, sitting on a exercise ball and standing up- to build up my knees to get to real squats) I hurt one of my knees doing step aerobics oh so many years ago when it was popular. Then carried over 100 extra pounds for over 15 years, they don't like me much anymore. I'm down from 268 to 224, but they're not ready I don't think for High Impact to this degree. I'm trying to incorporate running, but am trying to moderate this to keep my knees from suffering too much.

I'm totally open to something that won't involve straining my knees too much - is that possible with the HIIT? or can I incorporate some running/walking type of thing to make it HIIT? :( You've no idea how much I'd LOVE to do what you have written, but I know it would probably cause me issues and end up in not exercising for a week because my knees get irritated.. (lunges, jumps, squats are pretty much out - I am just starting squats with the trainer so will be easing in on those with him)

thank you!

No probs. Can you run with dodgy knees? (Usually running is a no-no with bad knees.) If you do have a problem with running, then check out a technique called minimalist running - you land on the balls of your feet not your ankles. The landing is much softer so joints are not affected; you will find it tires out the calves much quicker but the calves do get used to it and strengthen. Assuming you can jump, just try 20 seconds of sprint, followed by 20 seconds of jogging. Do this for as long as you can manage. And if your fitness levels can't manage that, do 30 seconds of walking as fast as you possibly can with 30 seconds of normal pace. The "high intensity" bit is just fast enough to mean you cannot sustain it for long and will vary depending on an individual's fitness levels.

You may also want to try the routine I posted but only go down a little (ie a half-squat) - enough to jump but without really using much of the thigh muscles; use the calves/feet more for the jump, for instance:

3/Jump Squats - lower the hips slightly, jump up <--- edited for you
    4/Side jumping - feet together, jump to left, jump back to right, use the calves/feet to jump rather than the thighs, landing softly <--- edited for you
    5/Lunges - step forward with just left leg, don't bend the knee, return, then for right leg <--- edited for you
    7/Star jumps - feet together, hands by sides, jump using the feet and land with feet apart, hands in the air. <--- edited for you

You'll have to experiment. Again, I'm not a pro so you do this at your own risk; growing hooves, head falling off... none can be blamed on me.
  • Bullittgal
    Options
    I agree, plateaus are HARD! I've just started in this program, but about 15 years ago I lost 105 pounds and kept it off more than 10 years Some has slowly crept back on, so I'm back in the game. Took almost 4 years to lose that much (men lose faster than women) and the thing that kept me going through plateaus (even one that lasted almost a year) was taking weekly measurements. Often when your weight plateaus it's because you're adding muscle and muscle is 4x heavier than fat (as in a pound of fat takes up 4x as much volume as a pound of muscle). It may feel like you"re not losing weight, but your body is changing at a cellular level from fat to muscle. One thing that helps is to change up your routine as your muscles adapt to doing the same exercise (like walking) every day and become more efficient. Surprise your body by going something different - like jumping jacks, or dance aerobics - once in a while.

And no, it does not matter at all when you eat what foods: weight loss is about calories in/calories burned. Period. GOOD LUCK!
  • schustc
    Options
    and - IT MOVED!! finally!! woo hooo!! 3 pounds from 50. :)
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Phew. What did you do?
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    THEY DO SUCK... They are hard, frustrating, and plain suck!

BUT -- I agree with the person who posted about that it's often the body's way of "catching" up. I also think that we tend to think we are at a plateau sooner than we really are. But, when the scale isn't moving? And we are sooooo focused on that number (and, I always will be even though I know that I am not supposed to be) as a sign of success? Well, it does suck.

Glad to see your post about it moving again... but that makes me wonder if you are just having some unrealistic expectations and if it was really a plateau or just a couple of "real" days?!? Not to be mean or critical - but just don't let a small thing become a bigger thing than it deserves - you know?!?
  • DianeG213
    Options
    Amen sister.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    will eating a lot of fruit at night, but still within your calories, make you stall? I just don't know if I should start keeping my carbs low to no in the evening, and focusing on fruit etc earlier in the day. I DO like fruit for dessert after meals.. :( could be worse I suppose. I hate this plateauing thing. I had a bad weekend last weekend but ate good before and good after, so I should have seen SOMETHING. the calorie equation on either side, negates the high calorie day or 2. i.e., the math isnt' working out. Stupid non-scientific/non-logical/nonsensical results!!!

Meal timing is irrelevant.