Anyone here done a 10K run?

Options
I'm looking into doing the BUPA 10K for my work, which is a charity in May next year

Would be great to talk to anyone who can even run that far, I'm starting the C25K app once my body has healed (overdone it!) and would love any support, advice, tips etc

Thanks in advance guys and girls x

Replies

• ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    That is easily doable. I couldn't run at all, started c25k july last year and ran an 8km in November. It wasn't the fastest 8km but I ran it all. Build up the distance and then work on speed. Get good runners.
  • jenbenefit
    jenbenefit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Okay cool, thanks. Atleast it's within my reach and not completely un-do-able!
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    10K is 6.25 miles if that makes it seem any less. Easily doable if you've been running for a few months. Just take it easy and run at your own pace.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    PLENTY of time. :smile:

I started running in late December 2010, finished C25K in late February 2011, ran my first 5k races in March & April, ran a 5 mile race in early May, and was running 6+ miles in early June.

I probably could have increased my distance sooner, but my first 10k race wasn't until August, then postponed to September, then we had a flood and it didn't happen until October. :laugh:
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It might seem a long way now, but once you get used to just running and enjoying it, 10k is a really pleasant distance to run.

I think my body only stops panicking (mad breathing, heart going crazy, limbs complaining) about the fact that I'm making it run after about 6k (or about 4miles) and settles down and gets on with it and starts enjoying it.

I started running at more than 15stone (210+lbs) last February, on a programme similar to couch to 5k. I ran 10miles for the first time at the end of November and loved it. I'm 164lbs (11stone 10) this morning after a hilly 10miler!

Got a 10k race next weekend, then the Bupa Birmingham Half Marathon on the 21st October.

All part of this:

http://the200milemacmillanmadness.wordpress.com/
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into doing the BUPA 10K for my work, which is a charity in May next year

Would be great to talk to anyone who can even run that far, I'm starting the C25K app once my body has healed (overdone it!) and would love any support, advice, tips etc

Thanks in advance guys and girls x

what a great incentive to run a 10k :-) you will easily be race ready by may! I started c25k in late may and ran my first half marathon last sunday..If a couch potato like me can do it, anyone can.

I didnt ' bridge' from 5k to 10k even though i did buy the bridge to 10k app, and i didn't 'bridge' from 10k to half marathon ( and I got the half marathon app, too).

Instead, i slowly built up my miles and distance on a per week basis.

good luck!
  • deepfuture
    deepfuture Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I run a 10k about 3 times a week and only started back running in march .. You need to build up your running distance slowly , start off at a slow pace and work at it from there .. Having the correct footwear for you foot will help a lot to prevent injury , and doing some great stretches before and after ,here are some links that helped me along the way

http://www.sportslog.com/running-log/running-endurance-training.htm

Stretches after running that i do .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgu6poYC-lk

Stretches pre run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanS74B4jpM

Definitely get an mp3 player with some of your favourite music to boost you along, it makes such a difference

Best of luck
  • jenbenefit
    jenbenefit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone, going to ring work on Monday and organise doing the Bupa 10K run next year!

Feel very positive knowing that other people have gone through this and it's not impossible!

I've got some running shoes but I might treat myself for my birthday in October, and the warm up and down exercises look really good. Just build it up gradually and knowing I have something to focus on will help. I may be back with the details for my just giving page soon :D
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I started running my goal was 10K, once I could run 10K I was doing it every other day.
    Its doable for sure! I dont run it everyother day now just because my toe nails took a beating & I do so many other things that I dont need to run 10K. But I still run, usually 5-8K if I do. I know that if I wanted to run 10 K I definitely could.

Your body becomes conditioned to running it :)