Ladies, our cycles, and freakin' bloating.

Options
I'm kind of pissed off right now because I'm four pounds heavier than I was just a few days ago. I'm trying to *not* be so pissed by reminding myself it's probably only because of my cycle (or mostly because of it).

Are there any foods you eat that help to reduce bloating and water retention? I'm not stressing too hard 'cause it will go away in a few days, but is there any way to prevent the bloating in the first place (or at least reduce it)? I've heard red grapefruit works well for some ladies.

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Less salt, more water basically.

But it's best to just not weigh yourself at certain times of the month. It's a natural thing and you can't really stop it.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options

But it's best to just not weigh yourself at certain times of the month. It's a natural thing and you can't really stop it.
    Definitely! I haven't cut salt out of my diet, necessarily, but I have made it a point to *never* add salt to my food for the past week or two, and it's absolutely given me results... and then suddenly I blew up and gained four pounds. x_x.

But I s'pose there's only so much one can do~.

Edit: As for weighing myself, my Wii weighs me every time I play Wii Fit. =(. Granted, I don't have to take the body test that weighs me... it's just always the very first thing I do when I log on to play.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I hate feeling like a busted can of biscuits. :(

I just try not to weigh myself that week, and drink as much water as I can stand, even though it makes me feel even MORE bloated at first, it goes away after a while lol...
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I agree with this ^^

I also dont weigh around then.. if I DO I dont worry about it.. I knowww that a few days after, it's all gone again.. water weight, definitely.

I also look froward to the fact that if I stick at what I am doing exercise/foods etc.. then I might be in for a nice surprise when the scales drops down a little further than just the water weight going.
  • I heard that grapefriut helps too- or any fruit with a high water content. I also read that garlic helps because it helps your digestive system to run smoothly, and also yogurt (something to do with the good bacteria).
  • TEAJAY002
    Options
    Less salt always good. Difinitely more water and try to avoid caffeine which for me is a hard one. Love my coffee. I've also found a good cardio session is awesome.

On a completely different subject, just remember ladies that grapefruit can affect your conceptive pill.
  • Quibeful
    Quibeful Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OMG! I was just wondering the same thing. I juat come off my cycle and the scale tipped up a few pound than when i last weighed in. I was so discouraged that i wanted to just stop trying then and there. Eventually i talked myself out of quiting...because i knew i was over reacting, I'm such a drama queen. But in the end I noticed that my sodium intake was really high and my cravings for water were really low. That is all apart of menstrating....ugh! It is great to know that you are not alone in this situation.
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    No salt and loads of water! and if you're craving snacks go for sweet (marshmallows are good) and not savoury :)
  • :blushing: I love all of you women... so nice to know we are all in the same boat. It seems to me we are made wonderfully yet so complex hehe... And thank you for all the tips (-:
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't drink anything at all except water---literally---and I still retain tons of water weight for the 2 weeks before the time of the month. But then right after, I lose a lot of weight. Like at least 5- 7 lbs. Every month. And for the 2 weeks prior I usually only lose a lb or two. And I eat the same consistently. So my cycle really affects my weight big time; but I just don't worry about it, because I know it will go down again. I have friends who retain their water AFTER the time of the month, so I guess every one is different!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I can skip my periods as I wish (I am on the pill) and I notice even if I do skip my period I still see that water retention gain. If I decide to get my period, a few days before I gain about a kilo or two. Then when it happens I lose about 2 kilos in water and have a huge loss.. I drink 3L+ water a day to get rid of it and by the time its finished I am on my next pack of pills. About a week into it I gain back the water and the process pretty much repeats.... :grumble:
  • claw0416
    Options
    My Gyn has suggested that I take a water pill, especially during that time of the month and reduce salt intake. I normally start swelling in my face and upper body a few days before and then my stomach hits the day of. As long as I take the water pills when I start to notice or know its about due, it is not as bad. The water pill also helps with cramps as well..You can google that and find out how it helps. That is whati did after my gyn suggested it..I still seem to gain a pound or so, but I don't feel as bloated and I can normally still function to exercise. Good Luck!
  • Aventuria
    Options
    Why not just waiting out the cycle? :noway: you know it's over in a couple of days, the body's just adjusting... :wink:
  • yngone
    yngone Posts: 52 Member
    Options

:laugh: I'm right there with ya, got mine yesterday and feel HORRIBLE! Taking my 2 day exercise break and I'm not weighting in till Tuesday !
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I can skip my periods as I wish (I am on the pill) and I notice even if I do skip my period I still see that water retention gain. If I decide to get my period, a few days before I gain about a kilo or two. Then when it happens I lose about 2 kilos in water and have a huge loss.. I drink 3L+ water a day to get rid of it and by the time its finished I am on my next pack of pills. About a week into it I gain back the water and the process pretty much repeats.... :grumble:

I once tried this (basically to see what would happen) and it sucked. I got bloated, got PMS-ish, got sluggish and moody and did everything except have blood flow. And the PMS-ing stage lasted longer than it did on normal a normal period! Ugh, skipping them was overrated.

As a separate note, I've met various ladies who as part of their hormonal cycle, get their periods and become ravenous hornbags. How could anyone feel even slightly sexy?! One of lifes great mysteries, I guess.
  • Hyzaarc
    Hyzaarc Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I found that I bloat directly two weeks before I'm due probably because of ovulation. My weight skyrockets up by about three pounds and hovers there until after the entire cycle is over.

I think my issue is that during pms week I'm not thirsty for any type of drink and my body retains all he fluid to keep my hydrated. However I'm one of those weird people who are *kitten* backward and just flood themselves with water during the actual week because I crave fluids.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    OMG, I've never heard that, ahahaha.
    I also look froward to the fact that if I stick at what I am doing exercise/foods etc.. then I might be in for a nice surprise when the scales drops down a little further than just the water weight going.
    Yes, the one really satisfying thing about that is when the scale drops effortlessly~.
    I heard that grapefriut helps too- or any fruit with a high water content. I also read that garlic helps because it helps your digestive system to run smoothly, and also yogurt (something to do with the good bacteria).
    Interesting, sounds like good information to have.
    Less salt always good. Difinitely more water and try to avoid caffeine which for me is a hard one. Love my coffee. I've also found a good cardio session is awesome.
    Really, caffeine? Perhaps I'm just a bit ignorant, but I've always figured the worst thing about caffeine is how it keeps you awake. o_o. Now I want coffee and feel too nervous to have any. x_x.
    As a separate note, I've met various ladies who as part of their hormonal cycle, get their periods and become ravenous hornbags. How could anyone feel even slightly sexy?! One of lifes great mysteries, I guess.
    Ha! I'm one of those. I become "ravenous", but I definitely don't feel sexy. I just wish I was, ahahahaha. I may be wrong, but I've never thought it was a hormonal thing. I've always thought it was something as simple as wanting what you can't have. Like, I normally have a very low sex drive, but during that time... it's like, "Omg, I can't have it, BUT I WANT IT NAO BECAUSE I KNOW I CAN'T HAVE IT." And then I go back off my cycle and on to my normal lack of interest.
  • Radiskull
    Radiskull Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh, the bloating... I can't stand it, but I will tolerate it as long as no one tries to take my salt away. I just tell myself that I will drink extra water to compensate..but then I don't. LOL. Oh, well.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    Oh, the bloating... I can't stand it, but I will tolerate it as long as no one tries to take my salt away. I just tell myself that I will drink extra water to compensate..but then I don't. LOL. Oh, well.
    Ahahaha! I have to actually stick to a sort of regimen to make sure I get enough water. If I drink a big glass first thing in the morning, then have breakfast, wait a while, and have another big glass, then for the rest of the day, I'll sip on water and still get as much as I need to have.
  • bullisnn82
    Options
    my weight goes up a little around that time....because of CHOCOLATE. This time it was chocolate cup-cakes, but I made an effort to keep it within my calorie goal each day so it wouldn't make a difference. My hardest thing during that whole time is staying motivated to exercise, cuz when ur hurtin' and don't have much energy its kinda hard.