frustrated on day two!!

Options
Hi all, I was hoping someone could give me some advice on sore muscles. I'm on day 5 of my transformation and started JM.'S ripped In 30 the only problem is that it's only day two and my legs are so sore that I can hardly sit or walk...lol. I don't want to miss a day so how can I stop the soreness? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thankyou.

Replies

• niktherip
    niktherip Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A Stretching session is a way to ease the pain and speed up recovery, but not get rid of it. It sound like you over done it, sorry I can't help more. I overdone legs after being I'll for 2 weeks and they hurt bad for 7 days but in all fairness when I trained legs again at a higher level had no soreness so its a mistake i made but didn't regret it.
  • jubob78
    jubob78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    yes I don't think the stretching session at the beginning of the dvd was very intensive, I'm just disappointed as it's only day 2 and I'm so motivated to do it. do you suggest that I do the dvd but just take it easy and do what I can? instead of not doing any!
    thanx for replying by the way. :-)
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    I think you should rest. Your body needs some time to recover. I would wait until you're not so sore before you try again. Next time you won't be as sore.
  • cabanaboy49
    Options
    Trying doing the stretching at the end of your workout. Run in place for 3-5 minutes before you begin the routine. Stretching is really most important after a workout.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree stretching will be very helpful, but you should continue to with the workout just dial the intensity down a bit. If you stop the workout you will get stiff before you get better. If you can't do that workout do something else that is less strenuous but will work the muscles. you'll make it!
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was like that when I first started insanity. OUCH! Haha
    I found that it actually helped to keep moving and working out. Then take a long Epsom salt soak before bed. One night, I popped an Advil too. Great job with the workouts girl! My sis got great results from the program. You will too! Just keep it up, even if you're sore at first. Best wishes!
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I completed 30DS earlier this summer and the first few days are actually the hardest. A hot bath with epsom salts helps along with a few ibuprofen. To be honest, the thing that seemed to help the most was working out again. It really helped to warm and loosen the muscles.

Someone posted that they had heard Jillian say in a podcast that the 30 day thing was more for marketing and that she didn't expect it to all be 30 consecutive days. I think she recommends that you do take a rest day every few days to allow for recovery.
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was like that when I first started insanity. OUCH! Haha
    I found that it actually helped to keep moving and working out. Then take a long Epsom salt soak before bed. One night, I popped an Advil too. Great job with the workouts girl! My sis got great results from the program. You will too! Just keep it up, even if you're sore at first. Best wishes!

That's hilarious - we posted pretty much the same advice at the same time.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree stretching will be very helpful, but you should continue to with the workout just dial the intensity down a bit. If you stop the workout you will get stiff before you get better. If you can't do that workout do something else that is less strenuous but will work the muscles. you'll make it!

^^^^^AGREED!

Just work your way through it the more you do, the stronger and fitter you will get. I got that way with the 30Day shred. And Im looking forward to doing the 30 day ripped. But first things irst. Going to redo the 30 Day shred :)
  • studyinstead
    Options
    Congratulations on achieving awesome sore muscles! Dont worry about it, skip a day....eat correctly the whole day and you have nothing to worry about! :) You can even skip 2 days as long as you eat correctly....those muscles might need some time to repair themselves. Get in lots of good proteins like chicken breast, turkey breast, eggs, extra lean beef, maybe even some whey protein. Congrats!
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    Try L-Glutamine right after a work out. I use it. Seems to work.

I'm no expert but I understand there are two schools of thought on soreness. One is to go all out and get the intense soreness but you get it over with in a week or so. Other is take it real easy on your work outs and slowly ramp up intensity but it takes weeks. Pain can derail motivation sometimes it's better to take it slow BUT KEEP GOING YOU CAN DO IT !!
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Also, are you eating enough protein? You're sore because your muscles are damaged and you need protein to repair them.
  • SukiRob
    SukiRob Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was the same after taking a fortnight off exercising. It hurt so much I could barely sit down without holding onto something for support. I wanted to carry on as well but the best thing is to rest then make sure you stretch well when you start up again. I didn't try to exercise again until the soreness went away (about 5 days). I found protein shakes after a workout really helped as well. If your motivated you will bounce back - don't worry.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Stretching, protein, water. Rinse and repeat.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    when you are starting out, you'll be experiencing more soreness then usual. thats okay and normal. i think i need four days to recover from my first run.

just because it says "thirty day shred" it doesn't mean that you are supposed to do it in thirty days. by jillian micheals own account, that was just a term marketing came up with. she recommends doing the dvd three days a week, and do cardio inbetween days, and one full rest day.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Advil and Soaking in a bath of Epsom salt can relax your muscles, reduce inflammation, minimize pain, fade bruising, aid digestion, relieve stress and tension, and detoxify your body.

Read more: Epsom Salt Bath Benefits | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5150410_epsom-salt-bath-benefits.html#ixzz25DZZejrt
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    There is not a lot you can do. Stretching will help, a warm bath and if it's intolerable, take a tylenol or advil.

The best thing I have found is to push through the pain. I just keep going. Do the next exercise and forget the pain. Now if it's injury pain, STOP. If it's soreness I just keep on going :).

I hope you feel better soon because you're going to love the results of Ripped in 30!
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. The soreness is good and normal, and the first five minutes of exercising will HURT, and then your muscles will feel fine, normal even, and you can workout without skipping five days waiting for your muscles to feel good. Embrace The Pain! Use your motivation to keep going.
  • erinbolton
    erinbolton Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Take some Tylenol or Aleve, like jillcwhite said and soak and rest. Keep doing as much stretching as is possible. The best thing you can do is let your body recouporate and then when you feel better you will know where your limits are. Once you know that you will know what you are and are not able to do. Sometimes it just sucks and you have to learn the hard way. Just take it easy and don't get down on yourself.
  • joannes68
    Options
    Hii... Your more likely using muscles you have never used like this before.. Right? When I started at the gym my legs were so sore It hurt to move.. So I went every other day until my muscles got used to it... Now, I go every day. Take a day off in between until you feel you can do every day. Your muscles just need time to heal. The 30 day challenge may take a little longer but as with any exercise... You have to work up to it... They don't ever say in the infomercials (I have watched them).. Don't skip a day.. You will still be doing 30 days just not continually... Until you work up to it.

Good luck!