HELP WITH RUNNING SHOES!!

Options
So I'm a runner. I run every day for a minimum of 8kilometers (around 5 miles). I run both on a treadmill and outside quite equally.

I used to get shin splints and now i have a weird knee problem that just came up, so I want to invest in the most protective shock-absorbing running shoe.

I really know NOTHING about running shoes, i buy pink ones because i think they look cute. Does anyone have any ideas what ones are good? I heard the Nike Free Run's are good, but i heard they're a "trainer" so does that mean you can't run in them?

Help!

Replies

• sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you go to a running store that can do a gait analysis for you. This way they can tell if you over pronate etc. and recommend a shoe based on your needs. I'm training for my first half marathon and about a month back started having pain in my left foot. I went to a running store and turns out that I over pronate when I run. I got pair of shoes that give me support (A pair of Saucony's) and it really helps.
  • bynonmurrayc
    bynonmurrayc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks! Yah I'll definitely have to try that! Goodluck on your marathon!
  • studyinstead
    Options
    I just got some Nike Pegasus but havent ran in them yet.
  • Nicoleleeee
    Nicoleleeee Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I find New Balance to be the best running shoe. They have really great arch support and are so comfortable to run in. But it is a personal thing so it's best to try on as many shoes as possible to find out what suits you. :smile:
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As your having knee issues I;d be inclined to go in for an assessment.

I run in nike Free's and you have to start easy runs in them as they don't offer loads of arch support. Saying that, they help strengthen your natural arches which is good :) Now I graduated from those to Vibram's... They take some getting use to but I really like them :-) I've run just over 6 k in them.
  • bynonmurrayc
    bynonmurrayc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As your having knee issues I;d be inclined to go in for an assessment.

I run in nike Free's and you have to start easy runs in them as they don't offer loads of arch support. Saying that, they help strengthen your natural arches which is good :) Now I graduated from those to Vibram's... They take some getting use to but I really like them :-) I've run just over 6 k in them.

Are they good on shock absorption? I hear they're super confortable!
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I really recommend getting your gait analysed.

There are different shoes for people who's feet sag somewhat to the outside, to the inside, or feet that are neutral. So even if someone says they've got the best shoes with the best absorption they might still be wrong for you.

The barefeet running shoes, like Vibrams (which I love) offer basically no shock absorption, they're mostly a protection for your foot against whatever you're walking on. It's really not something you'll want to get into at the moment.