Fiber, gas, weight gain...Kashi to blame??

Options
For the last 7 days according to the numbers I have had a 4433 calorie deficit. Yet, I am 1.5 pounds higher.

I have been eating Kashi everyday and have been, um, bloated and stinky, could that cause scale change?

Replies

• RancidPolecat2
    Options
    Kashi uses inulin fiber in some of their products. Some people get bloated when they have too much inulin. You may want to look into that.

As for the weight gain, you will always have fluctuations. By any chance, did you lose more weight than usual (or were you at a new low) last week? I've found that when I hit new low one week, I'm often up a pound or two the following week.
  • Kwoman2912
    Options
    Which Kashi? The cinnamon berry crumble cereal gives me the WORST gas:(.
  • annoz
    annoz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Which Kashi? The cinnamon berry crumble cereal gives me the WORST gas:(.

Go lean. I've been having 1.5 servings every morning for breakfast. I look pregnant.
  • terrabit
    terrabit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    -
  • Kwoman2912
    Options
    Yeah I would probably cut down;)

I was giving my son fiber one bars for while, not because he was ever constipated, but because they were on sale. He literally pooped 4-5 times a day, even for 3 days after he had his last bar (when I FINALLY realized what was causing his issues). Sometimes I think added fiber is not such a good thing,
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Your one main cause of weight gain may actually be GRAINS! check out Paleo Diet. (it is not actually a diet but a way of eating normally if the word diet makes you nuts-it does me) I had lost some weight and then it just stagnated, since I cut out grains and diary it has been coming off! it is great because i can now fit steak and BACON in my diet-in moderation of course!
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    oh and check your water in take and keep your sodium low! Make sure you are eating ENOUGH as well. You will find that just having a deficit does not make you lose weight either.
  • annoz
    annoz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your one main cause of weight gain may actually be GRAINS! check out Paleo Diet. (it is not actually a diet but a way of eating normally if the word diet makes you nuts-it does me) I had lost some weight and then it just stagnated, since I cut out grains and diary it has been coming off! it is great because i can now fit steak and BACON in my diet-in moderation of course!

Great advice but Paleo wouldn't work for me. I can't stand eating meat. I will eat a little of it, but meat/chicken usually grosses me out. I wish I liked those items more.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    As much as I love the Go Lean Crunch, I could just not eat a whole bowl of it. It wasn't pleasant for anyone!!! Maybe try cutting back on it a bit. Now, I like to put just a bit in my Greek yogurt, but that's about all my body can handle.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Fiber is fine, but many people don't realize you have to drink a lot of water with it! And, of course, that could cause some bloating but I doubt that is the situation here? There is also an acclimation period when you start adding more fiber to your diet (if this is something you are actually trying to do!). I'd go with eating fruits and vegetables if this food item is really a problem. Do drink the water, though. It's critical! :) Hope this helps!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Your sodium has been pretty high every day I checked. The one day it was low, there were foods that didn't include the sodium in their nutritional information that definitely had sodium.

Drink plenty of fluids and try to keep it under 2000 next week, and see how that works.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    kashi and fiber one bars do that to a lot of people. It can be the inulin or the chicory root extract that causes the bloat/belch/fart syndrome. There are other ways to get fiber - like allbran or fiber one original. Check the labels to see how they upped the fiber before you buy.

Once you cut down you will loose the bloat and the extra pounds it retains.

Other ways to get a quick fiber full breakfast - try a breakfast smoothie
    fiber - all bran or oatmeal --buzz in blender to powder
    Veggie - baby greens, kale, spinach, canned pumpkin -
    liquid - water, milk, soymilk, almond milk etc
    fruit - frozen banana, peaches, blue berries, strawberries, mango apples etc
    Protein - protein powder, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese
    spices - pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg ets
    other flavors peanut butter, nutella, other nut butters

Mix and match never the same twice and so good!
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Go lean. I've been having 1.5 servings every morning for breakfast. I look pregnant.

The only thing that should make you look pregnant is being pregnant, this should possibly be hint enough.

Also best term I ever saw on MFP was about the impact of too much fiber (from bananas) if you don't drink lots of water, they turn into bumputty :bigsmile:
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I can't eat Kashi products. I get a bloated stomach ache every time.

Fiber is great but when it comes from natural sources, not Kashi's processed fiber....
  • kmumansky
    Options
    Oh man Kashi Go Lean is BRUTAL to my stomach. I won't even go near it. Most of their other products are fine though (for me).
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    process of elimination. Take away the kashi and see how you feel. Processed foods make me feel bloated. When I stick to clean veggies, fish, eggs, then I feel fabulous. But process of elimiation should work. As I have been getting older, I have been especially paying attention to the way I feel after I eat things. The stuff that makes me feel horrible gets the ax. The biggest battle is figuring out what works for you. IF (intermittent fasting) has been working wonderfully and I never get that bloat anymore.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Anytime that you up your fiber intake you are most probably going to have those side effects. But the fiber is soooo important and healthy for you. Rather than backing off on it, once you consume high fiber (35+ grams/day) for a week or so, the side effects subside as your body gets used to it so you will produce less gas and bloating. This typically only occurs when you are sporadic with your fiber (20 years in Gastroenterology)
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My husband eats Kashi GoLean every morning and tolerates it well. However, when my son and I eat it we get uncomfortable gas, so we've given in up. I eat a high fiber diet and like to do so, but for some reason I cannot eat Kashi GoLean.
  • Chigger56
    Options
    I eat Kashi every day and I have no problem what so ever. I LOVE IT!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would probably cut down;)

I was giving my son fiber one bars for while, not because he was ever constipated, but because they were on sale. He literally pooped 4-5 times a day, even for 3 days after he had his last bar (when I FINALLY realized what was causing his issues). Sometimes I think added fiber is not such a good thing,

You're supposed to add increased fiber gradually, and increased fiber can be from non-processed Kashia bars. Your poor son.