Spaghetti Squash

Options
I inherited a spaghetti squash and have no idea how to cook or eat one! I'm used to summer, butternut and acorn squash, but this one intimidates me for some reason. Any tips would be welcomed!!

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half the long way. scoop out the guts. Place it face down on a micro safe plate. 1/4 cup of water. Nuke 17 - 20 min depending on how big it is. Let it cool a lil. then fork out the insides into long Spaghetti looking strands.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half the long way. scoop out the guts. Place it face down on a micro safe plate. 1/4 cup of water. Nuke 17 - 20 min depending on how big it is. Let it cool a lil. then fork out the insides into long Spaghetti looking strands.

This! You can also cut it, scoop it, and bake it instead (just takes longer). Once you have the "spaghetti" strands, you can use any pasta sauce, or (my favorite) an olive oil, herb, and garlic mix :)

There are probably some creative ideas on recipe forum too.
  • TrishaB74
    Options
    I will try the EVOO and garlic on it.. maybe a sprinkle of parm too. The squash isn't to sweet I hope. I'll let you kow how it turns out!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I will try the EVOO and garlic on it.. maybe a sprinkle of parm too. The squash isn't to sweet I hope. I'll let you kow how it turns out!

I don't think it is sweet :) its one of my favs and the easiest to flavor! Just soaks up what you put on it :)
  • fuelingit
    Options
    i love them. what i do is i cut it length wise, poke some holes in it with a fork, and microwave it for 20 minutes. put some spaghetti sauce and parm on top and you're golden!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    bump!- I am growing these for the first time ever (even though I have also never eaten one) so I am glad Trisha posted the question
  • chrissyjoamodeo
    Options
    Hi there!
    I actually made a how-to for spaghetti squash with pictures because I run a cooking group on Facebook. I made the whole file into a .pdf, so you will need adobe reader to view it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y8bo732sm1l1eel/ofZweyjIJl/RECIPES/Spaghetti Squash.pdf

I hope that helps :smile:
    Chrissy
  • liketoyak
    liketoyak Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I BBQ mine. Cut in half with a little butter/olive oil and a lot of crushed garlic. About 20 min untiil cooked.
  • bpreteroti
    Options
    bump
  • gwenm4
    gwenm4 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Put in the crockpot -- after poking a few holes in it -- and leave it for 8 hours. Take out, cut in half, scoop out the seeds. Then, scoop all the "spagetti" strands out and serve with marinara sauce, sprinkled with fresh parmesan. I like to have this with broccoli or a side salad.

I've also cooked this in oven, cut in half, open face down in a baking pan. I put a bit of water to steam it. Cook until tender, then scoop out, mix with a can of tomatoes and put "spagetti" back in baking pan. Top with mozarella and parmesan and then bake until cheese melts. Very yummy!