I need help!

Options
Hello my name is Lisa and I am new here. Since Monday I have been eating 1200-1400 cals a day plus exercising (yoga, walking) for 30-60 mins a day and the scale wont move! I would greatly appreciate any advice and if possible take a look at my food diary and see if I am doing something wrong? I have dieted a million times and have never had this much trouble losing weight. any tips and encouragement is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Desitweety
    Options
    Hello my name is Lisa and I am new here. Since Monday I have been eating 1200-1400 cals a day plus exercising (yoga, walking) for 30-60 mins a day and the scale wont move! I would greatly appreciate any advice and if possible take a look at my food diary and see if I am doing something wrong? I have dieted a million times and have never had this much trouble losing weight. any tips and encouragement is very much appreciated. Thanks!
    maybe your exercising too much!
  • YUMMY45
    Options
    work out every "other day". give your body time to get calories in it to burn the fat off....
  • xCryssyx
    Options
    You could also be building up muscle weight from all your exercising, so while you may be loosing fat, you might be building muscle.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Could be sodium = water retention. Or all that exercising may have simply built muscle :smile:
  • JudyNader
    JudyNader Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Since Monday? That's one week. It may be frustrating but normal for you to not see a change on the scale yet. Especially if the more activity is new for you, your muscles hang on to fluid to protect and heal themselves. Keep at it and don't give up. Keep body measurements and check those every few weeks. That, and how your clothes fit, may tell you a different story than what the scale is telling you.
  • lldem
    lldem Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Did you take msmnts? Maybe no weight loss but loss in inches. Depends too on your cycle. Keep up the work, it will pay off. Feel free to add me as friend. I'm Lisa and I have an open diary :smile:
  • HealthylivingTIG
    HealthylivingTIG Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Lisa, it's less than a week since you started. Give yourself some time. Keep doing what you noted in your post-- that being reduce your calorie intake and exercise. The scale will move. Stay focused.
  • hockra
    hockra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I suggest....look at some of the reports on nutrition (on MFP). When I'm not losing on MFP, I check these out....sometimes I'm not losing because of the sodium or fat levels (or sometimes no enough calcium, then I feel weak and eat wrong foods trying to get energy). When I realized I have trouble with too much sodium and not enough calcium, I added these to my diary page so they are easier to track.

Suggest that when you feel tired, get sleep. A few days ago, I was working a lot and personal life was busy. I felt tired, but was out of schedule and just wasn't sleeping that well. One day I went to work a little later (took vacation time), and slept in. The day after that the scales showed a loss for first time in 8-10 days. So I lean toward the recommended 8 hours sleep and even more when that next pound is slow in coming off.

I can't say this is what is going on with you, but sharing in case it may help. I gain weight when I exercise too much (water retention). I find when I exercise "little" that I lose faster as long as I am eating some veggies along with the other food. Let's say I go to museums/tours walking for 2-3 days.....10 pounds gained is not unusual. But just going back to normal routine life (when I'm not exercising/walking a lot), it will come off in about 2 weeks. This has happened to me since when I was around 44 or 45, and now I'm 50. I can also exercise some each day, but I can tell when I've started doing too much, too fast...weight gain from retention. Keep in mind, this is just how my body works, and I hope one day that when I lose enough that water retention may not be quite as bad.

I wish you well on MFP journey.

• hockra
    hockra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I just replied that I have trouble with water retention resulting in weight gain. I've never understood this. Your suggestion on fluid retention is how muscles protect and heal themselves is helpful. Thank you. hockra
    Since Monday? That's one week. It may be frustrating but normal for you to not see a change on the scale yet. Especially if the more activity is new for you, your muscles hang on to fluid to protect and heal themselves. Keep at it and don't give up. Keep body measurements and check those every few weeks. That, and how your clothes fit, may tell you a different story than what the scale is telling you.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    First of all, a few days is not much to go by. Secondly, yoga, while excellent for coordination, balance, flexibility, etc., -- keep it up -- is not the ideal exercise for weight loss. Neither is walking, unless you're walking at a very rapid pace and walking is the only safe exercise for you at this time.

If you think you're eating the right amount of calories to create a deficit, try it for a couple more weeks. If possible, add some more rigorous exercise and , based on your physical condition, work up to five or six days a week.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You could also be building up muscle weight from all your exercising, so while you may be loosing fat, you might be building muscle.

She has not built up that much muscle in less than a week. It's almost certainly water weight.
  • lstsan
    Options
    I took measurements this morning so I wont know for a while if I am losing inches and not pounds. I really dont feel like I am exercising too much. I feel like I am doing the bare minimum. I will try increasing my water intake because the weather has been pretty brutal and I notice Im sweating alot.
  • lucyannp
    Options
    Hiya

don't worry if you don't see an instant change. I retain fluid to an extent too and for me I had the problem that I was losing lbs on the scales but wasn't losing any inches off my stomach or hips. I've now lost 10lb but it was only right at the end that I had an inch difference that was significant. Other people are the other way round, they lose inches but don't see the result they were hoping for on the scales. I almost think the latter is better as you can see more of a result sooner.

When I started I had a calorie goal of 1200 (I still have that now but I'm trying to maintain for a little while at the moment so do eat more) and making sure that I was always hitting it meant that I didn't have to exercise, which was something I didn't feel like doing until I'd lost a few lbs and was finding it easier to do things. When you do start exercising choose activities that will tone and build a bit of muscle, because the more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest. Don't get me wrong you don't need to body build! Just one session of cardio and one session of weights-type training will go a long way. I do a 45 min kettlebells class a week but there are plenty of options for when you feel ready :)

Stick with it and find what works for you and you'll go a long way :)