Any tips on how to stay focused while being on vacation?

Options
Tomorrow I will go to Aruba for 2 weeks and It´s a huge challenge for me because I don´t want to gain what I´ve lost until now. How can I stay focused? I´d love to hear from your experiences or what would you do in this case.

Thanks!

Replies

• Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    >3kg lost
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Spain in a fortnight and so decided having a hotel with a pool was a priority. I intend to swim every morning as exercise (even if we are going to swim as an activity later) so that I don't have to worry about what I eat. I intend to maintain whilst being away more than lose though...
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Dont' know about you, but I feel SO much better when I don't over eat and that motivates me. I can't eat as much either, so that helps. I'm also in my bathing suit a lot when I go on vaca as it's usually near water. I also allow myself 1 really great treat a day and won't go over that. Helps me decide - Hmmmmm, do I REALLY want this ice cream at noon, or wait for something better in the evening. Some days I wait so long for something better to come along that I end up ready for bed with no treat for the day. I also make sure I run at least 3x/week while I'm on vaca
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Jog on the beach in the morning and then swim in the sea and walk everywhere! Its what I did when I went on my Caribbean vacation. And eat all the yummy tropical fruits and lots of seafood! I lost weight on my vacation that way. :happy:
  • Andruzrc
    Options
    I'm going to Spain in a fortnight and so decided having a hotel with a pool was a priority. I intend to swim every morning as exercise (even if we are going to swim as an activity later) so that I don't have to worry about what I eat. I intend to maintain whilst being away more than lose though...

Thank you! I will be long times at the pool so I can totally do that!
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Stay away from caffeine and take along some of your own snacks. Remember My fitnees Pal travels with you! Drink lots and lots of water and eat your fruit and veges. Have a salad at the beginning of every meal, fills you up faster. Good luck! >:O)

Keep busy and you won't even think about it.
  • Andruzrc
    Options
    Dont' know about you, but I feel SO much better when I don't over eat and that motivates me. I can't eat as much either, so that helps. I'm also in my bathing suit a lot when I go on vaca as it's usually near water. I also allow myself 1 really great treat a day and won't go over that. Helps me decide - Hmmmmm, do I REALLY want this ice cream at noon, or wait for something better in the evening. Some days I wait so long for something better to come along that I end up ready for bed with no treat for the day. I also make sure I run at least 3x/week while I'm on vaca

I love that! I will surely put what you did on practice :D
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy the fresh seafood which will be a treat, high in omega3s, and lower in calories. Try to pick alcoholic drinks without a lot of sugar: I drink tequila with soda and lime (limonada sin azucar con tequila/vodka/?). Sometimes, if you ask real nice, they'll blend in some strawberries for you. The specials of the day will be horrible with LOTS of sugar and very little alcohol.

Opt in to a bunch of the activities: swimming, kayaking, walks on the beach, water aerobics (they will have this if it is a resort), go zip lining which is fun and has a huge hike involved, snorkeling, walking around town shopping, go dancing at night, etc.

Keep those things in mind, but forget actually calorie counting. This is a fantastic time in your life, so don't waste it all concerned about your waistline...
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to this website? If so, I would carefully track everything you eat, and plan if you need to. For example, do you like to drink fancy drinks at night? Factor that in.

Think about all the great things you want to see and do that do not involve eating or overeating (which of course is hard when you're on vacation.)

Think: I want to enjoy, enrich, restore myself, body and spirit. I do not want to tax my body. I want to return from this vacation having had fun, not with a guilty conscience.

See if there are people who are equally weight and fitness conscious and support each other. It's so much easier when you're with people with like-minded goals. If you are traveling with companions who aren't watching their weight make it clear that this is your resolution. You're not trying to be a kill joy, but you simply can't be present at all the all-you-can eat affairs, or at the very least you won't be eating the same way.

Do additional exercise, or walk when you could ride to offset the extra calories. If your hotel doesn't have fitness facilities, look into a guest membership elsewhere. If you do things like play tennis, find a partner. If you swim, obviously Aruba must have gorgeous pools in addition to the Caribbean.
  • misty0413
    Options
    I did a two week vacation and just drank tons of bottled water, no alcohol, went to the beach , bowling, swimming, did eat out but made good choices. I did not want to lose ground on what I had lost before the trip. I gained a little over a pound. thats it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I went to Cuba for my honeymoon in 2008, 2 weeks all inclusive! I'd just lost about 45lbs for my wedding so I was really focused. I put on one pound the entire time I was there, and I think that was because we ordered Dominos for lunch when we got home (10 hour flight back to Gatwick). A week later i'd lost that pound and more. Then about 2 weeks later I was pregnant.....

Anyway, I made sure I did lots of swimming every day, and I also took windsurfing lessons, went out on a kayak etc. We did a day trip to Santiago de Cuba and did lots of walking in the heat.

I chose healthy food. There was so much choice, and when it's there ready for you chosing the healthy option is not a problem. I usually had some fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, maybe some cereal. Lunch i chose salad, seafood, chicken, veg, that kind of things, and at dinner i either went for fish or chicken and veg. I did drink a few rum and cokes, and piña coladas of course :smile: I let myself have ice-cream a few times, but only a small portion.

Hope you have an amazing time!
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about counting calories for every meal while on holiday, but there are of course some simple things you can do still. I don't know about you, but generally I'm quite active when travelling somewhere new, there's lots of walking, getting to know the place, swimming, shopping and similar. So you will probably have quite active days even if you don't exercise. And if you want to you can spend 30 minutes every, or every other day, to do some focused training, in your hotel room or the pool for example?

You should enjoy your food! That's part of the holiday experience. And remember, you don't have to finish every portion, if you're full, stop eating. It's probably going to be quite hot, and that will probably limit your appetite a bit actually. Make smart choices mostly, but don't be afraid to indulge a bit now and then. It' not what you do on holidays that affect your lifestyle and weight, it's what you do in your everyday routine :)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    do you have a mfp app or a smart phone?

either that, or just get a notebook and write down everything that's on mfp (draw the food tab with the calorie table)

personally 3 lbs wouldn't stop me from piggin on my vacation, id just make a conscious effort to eat less/ just taste a few things. (they say the first bite is the best anyway).
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    look at some past pictures of yourself and then some present pictures....that always helps me to remember that whatever I've done to get me where I am is not in vain and it also encourages me to keep on keeping on inspite of.

I know it may not be much but its the simple stuff that works for me.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just keep logging and weigh yourself when you can
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    the magic saying ' no thanks i've had enough '

:happy:
  • Kguide
    Kguide Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Being in Aruba you will most likely be more active than you normally are. I would say have fun, eat some tasty food.
  • TinaBasinger
    Options
    I actually find, for me anyway, that I don't gain on vacations ~ my challenge is snacking at night, and if you're in a hotel room, you can avoid that option easily. Do a lot of walking...as much as you can. If the hotel has a health club, take advantage of it. Split your meals with someone. Drink tons of water. And then know when you come home, you're probably going to need to have a few days that you'll need to buckle down. And YES....don't forget about MFP! Log in and it'll help!

Most of all....have a GREAT time!!!!
  • Andruzrc
    Options
    Thank you for all the amazing feedback :D

Gonna have in mind everything and enjoy my vacation!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the amazing feedback :D

Gonna have in mind everything and enjoy my vacation!

Have a great time! Wish it were me. :smile:

But seriously, you can do it. A place like Aruba will be a constant feast for the senses; it doesn't have to be one for the stomach, although of course you should fill up on that great, healthy seafood.